GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wax head/ tail lights

eaglekeeper

Passed Driver's Ed
I've had good results throughout the years waxing my headlights and taillights in that it always keep them looking fresh. I noticed the owners manual specifically says not to wax them. I called VW Care and they said it could leave small scratches in the plastic and that could lead to denegrated lighting. I've usually traded off cars every couple of years so really haven't seen the long term effects. Does anyone else maintain their lights like I do and notice any issues?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Yes. Have always waxed lights as well as all glass.
No ill effects ever, even using an orbital.

Actually has worked to restore hazy headlights just as well as the headlight restoration kits.

SRoads

Ready to race!
If you use a clean high quality microfiber on a clean headlight with a wax or a sealant you should never have an issue. I have waxed headlights on every car (every 2-3 months on non garaged, every 6-8 on garaged) I have owned for 13 years to include a Mk5/Mk6/Mk7, mazda 3, toyota celica, nissan frontier, subaru forester, and a nissan xterra. I have never than the clear coat fail on a headlight in my experience. If you really are concerned I recommend having a reputable detailer install clear film.

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
I use Rain-X on mine (and the windshield). Not sure if it protects against headlight/taillight surface degredation, but it has staying power and should serve to seal the surface. I think VW is full of it suggesting that car wax would scratch lenses, but not paint.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
I use Rain-X on mine (and the windshield). Not sure if it protects against headlight/taillight surface degredation, but it has staying power and should serve to seal the surface. I think VW is full of it suggesting that car wax would scratch lenses, but not paint.
Rain-X is a carnauba wax based product. You're right, a product doesn't scratch, ever. It's the method of application that does.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
All reassuring responses. I'll continue a good thing, thx...
If headlight degradation is a concern and you wish to protect them, I would use 3M clear film. You can just peal it away once it's been abused or hazes. The modern PPFs have UV protection as well to help with hazing. You can typically find ones online specifically for your vehicle so you don't have to buy a whole roll.