GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking for feedback, getting paint correction and Ceramic coating.

Luvs2speed

Ready to race!
After much debate, I decided to get my car's paint corrected and have a Ceramic Pro coating applied. I never thought I would spend this kind of money on detailing, but after weighing the cost and time of buying everything myself, learning how to do it, and definitely not getting as good as the pros, I went for it.

The car was dropped off today and I will be picking it up Saturday. I cannot wait.

I wanted to hear from anyone on here that has done a coating and how it is. I am used to spending lots of time cleaning and waxing and I am hoping this gives me the same type of results after a basic wash. Who has done it and are you glad you did? Is there any special care needed to keep up the coating? Any and all experience is welcome.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
After much debate, I decided to get my car's paint corrected and have a Ceramic Pro coating applied. I never thought I would spend this kind of money on detailing, but after weighing the cost and time of buying everything myself, learning how to do it, and definitely not getting as good as the pros, I went for it.

The car was dropped off today and I will be picking it up Saturday. I cannot wait.

I wanted to hear from anyone on here that has done a coating and how it is. I am used to spending lots of time cleaning and waxing and I am hoping this gives me the same type of results after a basic wash. Who has done it and are you glad you did? Is there any special care needed to keep up the coating? Any and all experience is welcome.
At 1100 miles mine got a 2-step paint correction and the Ceramic Pro silver package installed. Calipers and wheels included, and a bonus coat of 9H(3 total) on the front end. Love it so far.

When it came to the price, I hashed out just getting the front clip done with PPF and forget about the coating, but I said F it, do it all! Lol. The PPF is the best part of the investment I feel, it has already prevented some carnage and spared me some paint chips. The coating has been great too, makes cleaning quite a bit easier and things like bugs and tree sap do cling as well to the car. Beading properties are amazing 5 months in still, as well as gloss. You won't regret it the moment you see it, and the moment you first wash it. Hardest part to stomach was not being able to hand wash my car for 20 days after the coating install. It has to "de-gas" as they call it. No physical contact for a few weeks, may be shorter time for you as I had mine installed in the dead of winter.

Get a shampoo that has NO WAXES or GLOSS ENHANCERS in it as this will actually hinder the coatings properties. I suggest CarPro Reset, or Meguier's Hyperwash 110. Both have great surfacants and zero additives that stay behind on your car. Being Ceramic Pro's is a silica based coating, I suggest sticking to brands that offer silica based coatings as well, their products will revolve around their coatings. CarPro is my #1 brand for coating care, I'm sure there are others. Say bye bye to your favorite wax :) For "coating maintenance" many people use silica based spray sealants every 6 months or so, I haven't performed an application of anything yet. I want to see what the coating does standalone for 1 year. I like to perfrom daily clean-ups on my car when the weather permits it, and I use CarPro ECO2o waterless wash for that, another silica based product. I dilute it to 1:15-1:20 though so it's contribution to the coating shouldn't be much, just like it to get the dust off. I would read up on coating care, and if I may suggest a video check out AMMO NYC on YouTube and watch his PPF(Clearbra) care video, caring for a coating is pretty much the same.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Luvs2speed

Ready to race!
At 1100 miles mine got a 2-step paint correction and the Ceramic Pro silver package installed. Calipers and wheels included, and a bonus coat of 9H(3 total) on the front end. Love it so far.

When it came to the price, I hashed out just getting the front clip done with PPF and forget about the coating, but I said F it, do it all! Lol. The PPF is the best part of the investment I feel, it has already prevented some carnage and spared me some paint chips. The coating has been great too, makes cleaning quite a bit easier and things like bugs and tree sap do cling as well to the car. Beading properties are amazing 5 months in still, as well as gloss. You won't regret it the moment you see it, and the moment you first wash it. Hardest part to stomach was not being able to hand wash my car for 20 days after the coating install. It has to "de-gas" as they call it. No physical contact for a few weeks, may be shorter time for you as I had mine installed in the dead of winter.

Get a shampoo that has NO WAXES or GLOSS ENHANCERS in it as this will actually hinder the coatings properties. I suggest CarPro Reset, or Meguier's Hyperwash 111. Both have great surfacants and zero additives that stay behind on your car. Being Ceramic Pro's is a silica based coating, I suggest sticking to brands that offer silica based coatings as well, their products will revolve around their coatings. CarPro is my #1 brand for coating care, I'm sure there are others. Say bye bye to your favorite wax :) For "coating maintenance" many people use silica based spray sealants every 6 months or so, I haven't performed an application of anything yet. I want to see what the coating does standalone for 1 year. I like to perfrom daily clean-ups on my car when the weather permits it, and I use CarPro ECO2o waterless wash for that, another silica based product. I dilute it to 1:15-1:20 though so it's contribution to the coating shouldn't be much, just like it to get the dust off. I would read up on coating care, and if I may suggest a video check out AMMO NYC on YouTube and watch his PPF(Clearbra) care video, caring for a coating is pretty much the same.

Enjoy!

Wow, awesome feedback and you have got me even more excited to see it. I hope I can at least do a light wash the following weekend as the car is going in a show. I will have to ask the detailer. I have been watching AMMONYC like crazy, awesome channel.

I will check out some of the products you recommended. Glad to hear you are happy with yours. If you have a pic I'd love to see it. Thanks again for the feedback.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Wow, awesome feedback and you have got me even more excited to see it. I hope I can at least do a light wash the following weekend as the car is going in a show. I will have to ask the detailer. I have been watching AMMONYC like crazy, awesome channel.

I will check out some of the products you recommended. Glad to hear you are happy with yours. If you have a pic I'd love to see it. Thanks again for the feedback.
My pleasure!

There are a ton of coatings out there these days and many would argue that Ceramic Pro is overpriced and such. I am happy with the product so the price is mute really, if I wasn't as happy as I am with it I would probably feel the same way they did. Some even frown upon their marketing, which I would agree could be misleading to many. Some of the videos online of the coating being hit with a lighter and not scratching are just absurd and bogus for sure. I wash mine once a week and have yet to induce swirls of any kind.
Yes, ask your installer what they recommend. I'm sure they could provide you a list of recommended products as well. Things like touchless washes and pressure washers become more effective post-coating. I invested in a little 1500psi 110V pressure washer it was only $249 at Tractor Supply Co. It gets most of the dirt of before the mitt ever touches the paint.

Yes AMMO NYC is awesome Larry is my go to for detailing questions. He will email you back within the day I have found, great dude. When I asked him what he personally recommended for coating care he pointed me to his PPF care video.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSoyX1jARxh/?taken-by=pouncingpanzer

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQRXDjUDpr6/?taken-by=pouncingpanzer

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTCsEEtgYXQ/?taken-by=pouncingpanzer

My phone's camera blows so these don't give it any justice at all. The one is at the detail shop before I took it home.

Luvs2speed

Ready to race!
Thanks for the pics, the white looks soooo good. That is by far my favorite color on the MK7 and would have been my choice if I didn't get a smoking deal on my car. I have high hopes for how good the black will look once it's corrected and coated.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the pics, the white looks soooo good. That is by far my favorite color on the MK7 and would have been my choice if I didn't get a smoking deal on my car. I have high hopes for how good the black will look once it's corrected and coated.
Thanks, I love the white too. My next choice was going to be reflex. Black will loooooooooooove the coating, it will add depth that you can't notice on the white. Hey, everyone loves a deal!

I look forward to pics :)

Jersey UG MKV

Plastidipping Fool
Car-pro is your friend. Use code OG on carpro-us.com for 15% off your order!

Shine supply has some new stuff designed for maintaing coatings too, and they are a solid company to deal with.

I do my own coating install, and I think next time i'm just going the Reflex/skin route. I hung out with Larry last weekend, and he is as great in person as he is on video. So helpful and spent tons of time answering questions.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
I just used Meg's Hyperwash 110 for the first time on Sunday. Great stuff. I only used 2oz in my bucket and the suds never dissipated, the slickness blew Reset out of the water, and the cleaning power was about equal to Reset. I have to use about 2oz of Reset as well, so Hyperwash right out of the gate is very competitive. I give Hyperwash 5 stars, easy. I only paid $19 for a gallon of it, I pay the same for 1 liter of Reset. I plan to still use Reset for when my vehicle isn't too dirty, since Hyperwash seems to have more slickness and suds it would probably be the safer of the two on a moderate-heavily soiled car. My car had gone 3 weeks without a wash, been raining nonstop here, so this was a good test out of the gate for the Hyperwash. For the sake of testing I ran it through my foam gun also, it makes decent suds that do cling better then say CG Honeydew or other "snow foams" I have tried. Overall I'm very pleased with Hyperwash, very economical and very effective.

Jersey UG MKV

Plastidipping Fool
The problem using a soap that isn't like reset on a coated car is that most soaps leave something behind on the coating.

I had a client come back and complain that the car wasn't beading like it did after i put cquartz on it 5 months ago. I asked what he was using to wash it and showed me it was Megs gold class. The gold class product is great, but doesn't mesh with coated cars over time.

I gave it a quick reset wash and asked him to report back on beading. He called the first rain and told me all was back to normal. Reset removed whatever gold class was leaving behind.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
The problem using a soap that isn't like reset on a coated car is that most soaps leave something behind on the coating.

I had a client come back and complain that the car wasn't beading like it did after i put cquartz on it 5 months ago. I asked what he was using to wash it and showed me it was Megs gold class. The gold class product is great, but doesn't mesh with coated cars over time.

I gave it a quick reset wash and asked him to report back on beading. He called the first rain and told me all was back to normal. Reset removed whatever gold class was leaving behind.
Gold Class leaves gloss enhancers behind, Hyperwash does not utilize gloss enhancers or silicons. It is a safe to use wash for ceramic coatings from my understanding, certainly didn't hurt my beading. Reset, Hyperwash, Gyeon Bathe, CG Wonder Wash, these are free of gloss enhancers and waxes. Many blow of the importance of avoiding soaps like Meg's Gold Class, or the 26 CG soaps with gloss enhancers once having a coating. But as you mentioned, and your customer discovered, it matters very much.

Luvs2speed

Ready to race!
I got everything done and the car looks outstanding. I ended up buying a small pressure washer and foam cannon set up and CG Maxi Suds as well as CarPro Reload. I also grabbed mits and new buckets and grit guards. Washes have been super easy and produced amazing results. The Reload is pretty amazing stuff on its on. We will see how it all holds up but I am glad I did it. I may try a few different chemicals on there but I want to keep it as hands off as possible. Ill try and get up a few pics later.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
I got everything done and the car looks outstanding. I ended up buying a small pressure washer and foam cannon set up and CG Maxi Suds as well as CarPro Reload. I also grabbed mits and new buckets and grit guards. Washes have been super easy and produced amazing results. The Reload is pretty amazing stuff on its on. We will see how it all holds up but I am glad I did it. I may try a few different chemicals on there but I want to keep it as hands off as possible. Ill try and get up a few pics later.
Reload is amazing indeed :) Looking forward to pics.

I will probably be Reloading mine in about a month, that will be 6 months since having the coating installed. I was going to go a year just cause and do my weekly washes, but I have since learned that any silica/quartz based coating should be "maintenanced" once every 6 months or so.

I would just rock that Reload myself, with the way it sheds water and dirt it makes a hell of a top coat.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Another benefit of getting a Ceramic Pro coating is the warranty. I just had 2 scratches, one I made and one that my parking garage made, for free. Of course I am giving him a tip for his time and effort, but free scratch repair is nice let me tell you. It is something that I paid for up front I'm sure, but I'm OK with that.

The scratch I made was by accidentally dragging the zipper of a rifle bag across the edge of my door. It was a decently hard hit, but the installer said the coating absorbed it and the clear was untouched beneath it :D