GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thinking about Trading 2016 WRX for 2017 GTI Sport

amzoon

Hi all,

I am getting ready to buy a 2017 white GTI sport, and I want to get some feedback and comments from you all.

Back in 2015, I was debating between a 2015 WRX or a 2015 GTI. Long story short, after some test driving back and forth and reliability concerns, I ended up buying a 2016 WRX back in August 2015. Fast forward after putting 12000ish miles on my WRX, I wanted something more refined and comfortable, and I found myself in love with the GTI again.

I went to the dealer earlier, and they are willing to make a deal with me for my WRX. Here is the breakdown:

2017 GTI Sport (White 6-speed) $25,600
trade-in 2016 WRX Based (World Rally Blue 6-speed) $22,000

OTD: $4500

Originally, I really want the carbon steel gray, but someone brought it already, and they have to get the white one from another dealer.

What do you guys think about the deal? Any comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
amzoon

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Give us a real breakdown.
what incentives are you getting?
cash deal? finance? at what rate and for how long?
does that include tax, title or license (would rather you not include these 3 at all)
what is doc fee? (DO include this though)
any other fees?
Does that include destination charge?

moar info plz.

amzoon

Hi Diggs24, thanks for the reply.

I have no idea what incentives I am getting. All I told them is what I care about is how much I need to pay out of my pocket. The WRX is fully paid for, and I just want to know how much I need to pay extra to get the GTI. At the end of the day, including registration, plates, taxes, dealer fees, they told me I only need to pay 4500 cash out of pocket to get the car.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
All I told them is what I care about is how much I need to pay out of my pocket.

Never go that route. It is very easy for the dealer to take you for granted in that case. Many people do the same mistake when they try to lease cars, all they care is the monthly payment.

Get the following info from your dealer. Then anyone can say if it is a good deal.

MSRP
Selling price
Document or additional charges
Tax, title
Out of the door price

Generally DC area dealers offer great deals and i am attaching a sample deal for your reference. http://www.stohlman-vw.com/VehicleD...en-Golf_GTI-Sport-Tysons_Corner-VA/2968571143

Also it is always better to bring in your trade in information, once you have negotiated the price, to know if the dealer is offering you for a fair trade in price. You can always go to carmax or similar places to get an appraisal done.

xacid

Passed Driver's Ed
If they are already getting the white one from another dealership then why not hold out for a carbon steel gray?

Honestly you are in - least to me - a power position. You have a paid off car that is fairly easily to resell. Make sure they are giving you at least KBB / NADA Guides value for it.

Obviously do what everyone else is telling you and get a break down to find out what all you are paying for. And go to other dealerships also to see what they will offer if there are others close to go to.

Mak_Attack

Passed Driver's Ed
I just traded in my 2015 WRX Base for a 2017 Golf R. The Golf is so much easier to live with day to day. My situation was similar to yours. Got 20,800 for my trade. Seems like a decent deal to me. Paid 37,500 for a fully loaded R w/DSG. Deals are out there!

Spittman

I put 1640 miles on my WRX before I got buyers remorse and ended up buying a new GTI.

It cost me a bit, but the GTI is so much more enjoyable on a day to day basis, especially the SE trim level.