GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

subwoofer upgrade Fender Audio

BretTX

I have the LC2i powered with a cable from the amp, you can see in the photos.
Like that there is only one power cable from the battery.
And back again, the LC2i tells the amp when to start, when the signal is detected on the speaker wire.

I was wondering if you could share your settings on the LC2i. I picked one up the other day and can't seem to get it tuned right. It's either barely there, or insane bass all the time. Do you have a pic of yours where the knobs are and maybe a rough estimate of where the threshold is set?

chid

Ready to race!
I was wondering if you could share your settings on the LC2i. I picked one up the other day and can't seem to get it tuned right. It's either barely there, or insane bass all the time. Do you have a pic of yours where the knobs are and maybe a rough estimate of where the threshold is set?

I will try to take a photo tomorrow if I remember.

jolebole

Ready to race!
Hello all. Time to resurrect this project :D

A few questions for the guys that did it. I read the whole thread but did not find any pics of how you routed the power cable coming from the battery thru the firewall all the way in the back. I can do all the wiring in the back easy, but running that power cable is tricky for me. How to hide it best to be exact. I am planing to install a powered JBL ported 12in Sub. Thanks!

GLoBaLReBeL

Ready to race!
In the firewall on the driver side to the left of the brake pedal (if sitting in the seat) is a spot behind some white foam that has a rubber grommet. You can pull this grommet out, drill a small hole and run the power cable through there.

Then, you can run the cable through the foot well, down the side, through the door kick plates, all the way to the back seats through to the trunk. Using a metal coat hanger helps BIG TIME while pushing it through the door kick plates. Be careful when you try and pull them up though, as they are wired for the lights and you don't want to catch any of those.

Just take your time :)

jolebole

Ready to race!
In the firewall on the driver side to the left of the brake pedal (if sitting in the seat) is a spot behind some white foam that has a rubber grommet. You can pull this grommet out, drill a small hole and run the power cable through there.

Then, you can run the cable through the foot well, down the side, through the door kick plates, all the way to the back seats through to the trunk. Using a metal coat hanger helps BIG TIME while pushing it through the door kick plates. Be careful when you try and pull them up though, as they are wired for the lights and you don't want to catch any of those.

Just take your time :)

Thanks for the tip.. :)
Also found this vid...Some guys made a video of their install. Usefull stuff too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8Pnv8okMe4

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
stock fender sub is perfect for me, I just wish someone would sell a drop in speaker replacement for the rest of them.

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
Why do you need a bigger subwoofer anyway? Past a certain point, more bass is just excessive. The important thing for audio is BALANCE and CLARITY, not just "derrrr more bass!!1"

jolebole

Ready to race!
The stock 6.5in woofer is not good enough to produce the lower tones.For me It's just not about the bigger sub producing more power, but about being able to hear deeper, more richer bass. The more power it brings is just a bonus.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

TheSkeptic

Ready to race!
If anyone who's done this is still monitoring the thread, I removed the head unit to find completely different harness connections than I've seen online. I have a '15 with Fender audio, MIB1, no nav.

Which of these is going to the sub?

I don't have this:

Edit: Apparently, this uses a digital system called MOST. It is a digital signal from the head unit to the Fender amp. So now the question is: is there any modification to the signal after it's passed through the stock amp? I don't want to go through the trouble of setting up everything if it'll simply be rolloff on better subs.

Last edited:
The stock 6.5in woofer is not good enough to produce the lower tones.For me It's just not about the bigger sub producing more power, but about being able to hear deeper, more richer bass. The more power it brings is just a bonus.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

its not entirely the sub. when i had the two sa-12's in the trunk i was still having that problem. its the head unit frequency range that also is a problem. this is why i was looking at the alpine unit, because i wanted greater options for the sub.

TheSkeptic

Ready to race!
its not entirely the sub. when i had the two sa-12's in the trunk i was still having that problem. its the head unit frequency range that also is a problem. this is why i was looking at the alpine unit, because i wanted greater options for the sub.
I will be using an LC8i in my setup to mitigate this. I just got my car back after it being at the dealer for a month due to a fried ECU, so I need to connect everything again.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I will be using an LC8i in my setup to mitigate this. I just got my car back after it being at the dealer for a month due to a fried ECU, so I need to connect everything again.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

had that too, didnt do too much. its a good unit to get things working, but that accu-bass thing really didnt do much. the installer messed with it for a while and we just couldnt get much to come from it

chid

Ready to race!
I just removed the subwoofer from my GTI as I'm selling it.
I'm happy I used the OEM connectors, it took me 10 min to remove it and replace it with the Fender. It took a little bit more to recover the power cable and the ground, I have some interesting photos.

The difference is ...big...
I feel I have no bass in the car now. I can hear something like a bass (I went from -2 with my Pioneer subwoofer to +6 with Fender) but there is no feel, no vibration of the seat.
It almost hurts my ears, I don't know how to explain it better.
I'm effectively not pushing the volume above 40%, I don't like it.
I will try to record a comparison.