GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Chip tuning?

Starfish

Passed Driver's Ed
Can someone explain to me how chip tuning works / pro's & con's? Is it a bad move for my 1.8T or will I have fun without worrying about car life?
Thanks

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
It's flash tuning, since mk7 can be tuned via obd2, chip would reference soldering a chip on the board of the ECU itself.

Anyway a flash tune (APR, UM, ED, Uni) are all great set it and forget it ways to make more power, but all will void your warranty

Jb4 is a piggyback tune, so not only can you install it or remove it yourself. It's also adjustable for mods, and doesn't leave any footprint to void your warranty. It's also 30-50% cheaper and reselling it is also an option.

With all of that said you should've done a search...still can, just google "mk7 forum_________ insert your topic there and you'll find tons of info

For the rest of your question, no. These cars are boring in stock form (imo) and for the price of tuning you'd be silly not to. It's a whole new car once tuned

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
It's flash tuning, since mk7 can be tuned via obd2, chip would reference soldering a chip on the board of the ECU itself.

Anyway a flash tune (APR, UM, ED, Uni) are all great set it and forget it ways to make more power, but all will void your warranty

Jb4 is a piggyback tune, so not only can you install it or remove it yourself. It's also adjustable for mods, and doesn't leave any footprint to void your warranty. It's also 30-50% cheaper and reselling it is also an option.

With all of that said you should've done a search...still can, just google "mk7 forum_________ insert your topic there and you'll find tons of info

For the rest of your question, no. These cars are boring in stock form (imo) and for the price of tuning you'd be silly not to. It's a whole new car once tuned

This should be a stickie.

rg2002

Passed Driver's Ed
May void your powertrain warranty. Won't void non-powertrain warranty. I had substantial non-powertrain warrranty work (involving air bags) performed on a tuned 2000 Passat 1.8T that the dealer knew was tuned (actually it was chipped in those days).

But be prepared to lose powertrain warranty coverage.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
May void your powertrain warranty. Won't void non-powertrain warranty. I had substantial non-powertrain warrranty work (involving air bags) performed on a tuned 2000 Passat 1.8T that the dealer knew was tuned (actually it was chipped in those days).

But be prepared to lose powertrain warranty coverage.

MK4 and MK5 were not dealer equipment detectable.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
And as always, it depends a lot on the dealer. Some dealers are cool. Others will go out of their way to make your life miserable. As usual.

Starfish

Passed Driver's Ed

I'm kind of new to having a "nice car" & still learning a lot about modding, what exactly (or generally) fallls under the power train warranty?

And, I know little about any of the OBD coders or whatever they are, is that what I would use to tune the ECU?

I also like the sound of the JB4 tune, is it simple to switch back to stock if I'm worried before bringing it into the shop for any reason?

Thanks a lot!

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I'm kind of new to having a "nice car" & still learning a lot about modding, what exactly (or generally) fallls under the power train warranty?

And, I know little about any of the OBD coders or whatever they are, is that what I would use to tune the ECU?

I also like the sound of the JB4 tune, is it simple to switch back to stock if I'm worried before bringing it into the shop for any reason?

Thanks a lot!

A VW tech wrote this very well, so here's his words on warranty
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7492

As for OBD2 all tunes are applied by their respective dealer unless they offer a dongle to load it yourself at home. Either way it just loads on your ECU and that's it. No changes are made by you the consumer to the tune, its one size fits all based on what "stage" it is. Generally, stage 1 is for an otherwise stock car. Stage 2 is optimized for and requires an aftermarket, higher flowing downpipe.

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
This should be a stickie.

Add it to the banner?

Thanks a lot!

I took this info and made kind of a sticky to be on tuning. Hopefully one of the mods will do it if enough people suggest it. http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36223

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
I took this info and made kind of a sticky to be on tuning. Hopefully one of the mods will do it if enough people suggest it. http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36223

I would but the sticky that is already there has a general modding link in it also that mentions just about everything you do but more in depth. Granted it is a little dated, but covers most of everything. The link posted in the sitcky is this http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14506

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
No one bothers to read the stickys either, they just ask the same questions without giving the search a try.