GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NEW PTP TURBO BLANKET

LeoA86

Ready to race!
So Ptp has come out with a new Turbo blanket for the Is38 Turbo. Just wondering if anyone here has used this company before, or had experiences with a turbo blanket. Ptp from what I have heard online is supposed to be one of the best producers.

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
Not that turbo blankets don't look kind of cool, but is there a need for one in this application? Also, no I have never used PTP.

EmptyHeaded

Passed Driver's Ed
...is there a need for one in this application?
I think this is a fair question.

Having come from the Subaru world of TMIC's, controlling heat soak was definitely an important consideration due to radiant heat in the top mount area. I went so far as to ceramic coat my turbo, both up & downpipes, headers, and install a thicker phenolic spacer to help battle temps, and every one of those efforts definitely helped.

I'll always be in the camp of reducing temps, but I'm not familiar enough with the platform to know exactly how effective simply applying a turbo blanket would be. Definitely interested in learning and understanding though.

LeoA86

Ready to race!
That's exactly my question in a sense, has anyone seen improvement performance wise to warrant a turbo blanket upgrade? I've seen others such as the sti's and other platforms use turbo blankets for performance from keeping temps down etc. Just don't really see people on this mk7 platform use this much.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I don't see how increasing heat IN the turbo can help a street car. The engine bay is not as hot as the turbo itself. The turbo is capable of glowing red. If the head ever got to that point it would melt. We need auxiliary radiators just to keep the engine, turbo, and DSG from overheating. Wouldn't putting a blanket on the turbo will just exasperate the situation?

makopolo

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't see how increasing heat IN the turbo can help a street car. The engine bay is not as hot as the turbo itself. The turbo is capable of glowing red. If the head ever got to that point it would melt. We need auxiliary radiators just to keep the engine, turbo, and DSG from overheating. Wouldn't putting a blanket on the turbo will just exasperate the situation?

The turbo blanket serves two purposes.
1. Reduce radiant heating to other nearby components, keeping heat away from intake manifold, piping and other components. When something is that hot the amount of IR radiation is significant, so covering the turbo with something that is IR opaque will prevent that. As mentioned above this is really important to the Subaru platform because all that heat goes directly to the intercooler that sit on top of the turbo.

2. Increasing turbine temperatures within the limits of the material) means that there is more energy for the turbine to extract (PV=nRT). This is not really a factor in our application, you wont see a difference due to this.

I got my Golf only a couple of weeks ago:D so I am waiting for the first oil change to familiarize myself with the layout. So i cant provide any input on it making a difference in this platform. On my WRX I saw measurable improvements in IAT from wrapping the up-pipe and turbo blanket.

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
The turbo blanket serves two purposes.
1. Reduce radiant heating to other nearby components, keeping heat away from intake manifold, piping and other components. When something is that hot the amount of IR radiation is significant, so covering the turbo with something that is IR opaque will prevent that. As mentioned above this is really important to the Subaru platform because all that heat goes directly to the intercooler that sit on top of the turbo.

2. Increasing turbine temperatures within the limits of the material) means that there is more energy for the turbine to extract (PV=nRT). This is not really a factor in our application, you wont see a difference due to this.

I got my Golf only a couple of weeks ago:D so I am waiting for the first oil change to familiarize myself with the layout. So i cant provide any input on it making a difference in this platform. On my WRX I saw measurable improvements in IAT from wrapping the up-pipe and turbo blanket.

Interesting observations. In the case of the R's inline-4 the turbo is on the other side of the engine from the intake manifold, much of the remaining intake plumbing and of course the intercooler itself. The Subaru's flat-4 layout is of course completely different, requiring the turbo to be on the intake/top side of the engine.

Still, I'd think it generally useful to minimize heat dumped into the R's engine compartment even if few critical components are nearby. The only downside I can imagine would be that running the exhaust turbo housing hotter, by preventing radiant cooling, would tend to conduct more heat into the turbo's bearing. Maybe that's not an issue in real life?

Neil

EmptyHeaded

Passed Driver's Ed
While a turbo blanket will marginally increase temps, it's generally not going to be enough to affect the turbo itself. In fact, it could be argued that a turbo blanket is actually providing additional thermal insulation to the housing and should help reduce the risk for drastic high/low heat cycling temps (which can lead to potential cracking). In addition, a heat wrap will keep turbo temps more under control off throttle (not as much extreme high/low fluctuation) which is a definite benefit to a street car.

bebersol

Ready to race!
PTP is a good outfit, I purchased and installed one of their turbo blankets on my mk6 R.

it reduced the under hood temps significantly in the summer, I also have a heat shield under my intake and over the turbo.

I did it to preserve everything else under the hood like battery, brake/ clutch fluids, any hose etc, and lower the intake air charge.

I also installed a 3" downpipe wrapped it in heat wrap.

look on the mk6 forum for a product review by Hyde16...
has good pics.

the only downside was that the install was kinda a pia.

LeoA86

Ready to race!
PTP is a good outfit, I purchased and installed one of their turbo blankets on my mk6 R.

it reduced the under hood temps significantly in the summer, I also have a heat shield under my intake and over the turbo.

I did it to preserve everything else under the hood like battery, brake/ clutch fluids, any hose etc, and lower the intake air charge.

I also installed a 3" downpipe wrapped it in heat wrap.

look on the mk6 forum for a product review by Hyde16...
has good pics.

the only downside was that the install was kinda a pia.

Thanks for the info and input. This is exactly what I'm looking for. Previous owner with the mk platform and some experience. Thanks. Ill be searching for this review.

EmptyHeaded

Passed Driver's Ed
bump.

Anyone else running this blanket and can chime in on longer term benefits/experience?

I still have the PTP blanket sitting in my garage awaiting install (been super lazy). -_-

Maddmike

Passed Driver's Ed
I went through a lot of turbo blankets in my rotary days. Those things run hot (rotaries and turbos) and the turbo is below the intake.

The blankets would always rot out and fall apart. In the end I gave up on it and just drove faster.

ECS Tuning

Go Kart Champion
Let us know if you see a difference both in temps or power wise. Are you going with the ecs one or another brand?

I will be running the ECS Tuning blanket.
I will do a before and after photos and two videos with temperatures recorded with a Craftsman InfraRed Thermometer. I will measure the temp of the turbo when the coolant temp is at 190 degree without the blanket and with the blanket on.

Chuck

PS---still have not got the blanket on as we are doing suspension work and we removed 86 pounds out of the rear of the car.
Installed an APR Turbo Intlet: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-apr-parts/apr-turbo-inlet-pipe/ms100137~apr/?utm_source=golfmk7&utm_medium=forum&utm_campaign=chuck_10_23_2017

ECS Tuning High Flow Intercooler Charge Pipe Kit in wrinkle black: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-par...arge-pipe-kit-wrinkle-black/009037ecs01-01kt/?utm_source=golfmk7&utm_medium=forum&utm_campaign=chuck_10_23_2017

ECS Tuning Turbo Muffler Delete: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/turbo-muffler-delete-pipe/019330ecs01~a/
?utm_source=golfmk7&utm_medium=forum&utm_campaign=chuck_10_23_2017

LEYO Blow Off Valve Kit: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-leyo-parts/blow-off-valve-kit/l034b~ley/
?utm_source=golfmk7&utm_medium=forum&utm_campaign=chuck_10_23_2017

Plus we flashed the Haldex with Vacom to get more traction to the rear axle.

Chuck