GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is a GTI the right car for me?

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
1000+ miles into my GTI (ex V6 Stang owner) and the more I drive it the more I like it. But I do prefer small fun cars which is exactly what the GTI is.

K.A.I.N.

Ready to race!
My previous car to the GTI was a 2014 Mustang GT. Like you said, great for the open road, but I live in a congested area with tight parking, and as I get older I find I am not willing to put up with a large coupe on a daily basis. The GTI fits my needs to a T. The only thing I miss is the V8 sound; I don't even really miss the extra 200 horsepower because I rarely found the opportunity to use it

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
I've been watching my local VW dealer the past few months and they haven't sold any GTI's. They have had the same 5-6 GTI's on the lot. Been also watching the subaru lot on the wrx's and they don't last more than 2-3 weeks at a time.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I drove the WRX and it was faster but less fun. They also were not dealing....something along the line of 1-2K discount compared to the over 5k on the GTI.

Last edited:

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I've been watching my local VW dealer the past few months and they haven't sold any GTI's. They have had the same 5-6 GTI's on the lot. Been also watching the subaru lot on the wrx's and they don't last more than 2-3 weeks at a time.

Certain industry standards are calculated based on when the car arrives at a dealership and the day its sold. Some OEMs manage their inventory accordingly so that the numbers are lower and looks great on paper.

tmcbride

My previous car to the GTI was a 2014 Mustang GT. Like you said, great for the open road, but I live in a congested area with tight parking, and as I get older I find I am not willing to put up with a large coupe on a daily basis. The GTI fits my needs to a T. The only thing I miss is the V8 sound; I don't even really miss the extra 200 horsepower because I rarely found the opportunity to use it

This is my feeling exactly coming from a 2016 mustang GT. 95% of time I was commuting and not using the power and when I did I was always nervous of police in what I felt like was a more conspicuous machine than the GTI. I am very happy with the GTI

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
Test drive the Sport trim which has everything you ask for and see if you like it. Also this is the right time to negotiate great deals on 2017s.

If you are not aware, 2018s will be having 6 year / 72,000 miles bumper to bumper warranty whereas the 2017s are with 3 year / 36,000 miles.

He’s retiring. He won’t see the end of that warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
define "better."

I will bet 20$ that the new touchscreen will have tons of issues, and it's also a gloss look so oils will be significantly more visible. Way more upkeep.

Also, am I the only one who prefers some buttons?! I don't enjoy the fully-touch screen trend. I don't even like the digital dash.

Having seen this In person I agree. I was aching about the new models, having just bought a new 2017 s manual, but the new dash didn’t make me feel bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Slipstream

loweritonh&rsports.com
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Will I be in for future shock?
It's not like I need most of the high tech stuff.

You should be in good shape. 2016s and beyond have CarPlay/Android Auto, so as long as iOS and Android are the mobile operating systems of choice, you're good.

This past summer I traded in my motorcycle for a less powerful one but I'm at the age where that's not much of a concern. Just want enough power to merge onto the freeway quickly. Don't plan on doing any mods.

I've been pleasantly surprised with the MK7's 2.0T Gen 3 TSI engine. I had a MKV GTI with the first version of TSI, and it was powerful enough, but nothing spectacular. This one, however, (with an extra 50+ lb ft of torque) feels surprisingly strong. I came from a T5-equipped Volvo C30 with mods (300+ lb ft of torque) and the GTI feels nearly as quick despite lower output numbers.

I'm considering getting a certified pre-owned, which usually have a long warranty, but I'm seeing only 2yrs/ 24,000 miles on VW's. I really don't want to wait for used 2018's to show up... Are extended warranties worth it? I can't remember if they are available on a late model car.

I bought a certified pre-owned 2017 Sport with 3k mi on it. The CPO warranty extends the standard bumper-to-bumper warranty from 3/36k to 5/60k. The 2018 standard warranty is still better, but in my opinion a CPO 2017 is a better deal than a "new" 2017 if you can find one. I paid a little less than what new 2017s are going for now and I get a (nearly) new car with a warranty that is almost as good as the 2018s.

q2quest

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2012 Golf 2.5 manual
I have a 2017 and absolutely love it. Best and most fun car I've ever driven. The quality and precision are quite a bit better than the mustang and with a chip you will not feel like the power is lacking.