GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ohlins R&T V. Bilstein b16

rbeezly

Good afternoon,
I am in the market for coilovers for my mk7 golf r. I am coming off of two different sets of lowering springs (vwr & mss) . I am tired of strut related issues and want improved handling. Majority of the reviews I read about bilstein b16 pss10's are very good, yet there are some naysayers. However, I have yet to read a negative review of Ohlins. I live in the Philadelphia area. I DD my R and probably do 2-4 trackdays a year. Additionally, I have the following chassis upgrades already: Superpro engine, trans,dogbone mount kit, front/rear sways bar & end links, lfca. O34 subframe insert, Tyrol deadset kit. I am leaning towards Ohlins.
Thank you in advance for the feedback.

EmptyHeaded

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't have any feedback on your question, but I'm curious what issues you experienced with the MSS kit? You're one of a few people that I've seen lately moving away from them.

rbeezly

I don't have any feedback on your question, but I'm curious what issues you experienced with the MSS kit? You're one of a few people that I've seen lately moving away from them.

The mss kit was a nice product and the ride quality was quite good for lowering springs. That said, I had strut bearing issues on front drivers side which resulted in knocking, etc...Progressive lowering springs (mss, vwr) will all lead to issues at some point.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Noise from mounts and bearings at low mileage is an install issue.

Did you do the install or a shop? Air tools have NO place in strut mount R&R

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Air tools have NO place in strut mount R&R

but, but...

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
He's a salesman, I'm an A&P mechanic.

Find me a Volkswagen manual that says "zing it on with an impact"

Yeah, never gonna happen. It has a torque spec. That company not providing a torque spec tells me they don't even have an engineering department

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Thank god lmao, I've had so many people post/bring up that video and others promoting using an impact.

I just want to live in a world where all mk7 owners can have property installed/noise free suspension...that way they can listen to interior rattles :D

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I just want to live in a world where all mk7 owners can have property installed/noise free suspension...that way they can listen to interior rattles :D

COTD
Hilarious

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
I am in the market for coilovers for my mk7 golf r. [...] I live in the Philadelphia area. I DD my R and probably do 2-4 trackdays a year.

Yeah, Ohlins are among the best shocks you can buy, period.

However coilovers offer no real benefit on the street, so buying them, not to mention super-expensive super-premium coilovers like Ohlins, for 2-4 track days a year makes no sense. You are rushing down the path to ruining your car as a daily driver, and spending a metric crap-ton of cash in the process.

Furthermore, whatever issue you might be having with the strut bearing plates or their installation, coilovers aren't going to help it. In fact since most coilovers come with solid strut bearings (no rubber mount), you're more likely to make it worse.

Neil
2015 Golf R - DD
1996 M3 - Track car, Koni DA coilovers and one or two other goodies

rbeezly

Thank you All for the valuable input. I had my shop order the Ohlins yesterday! I will keep you updated in real time with install notes, first impressions, dial in and long term review.