GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JB4 Logging, stacking and Map 6 Discussion

die_sel91

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
mk7r
Hey guys,first time posting.

I'm currently ED IS38,DSG,FBO, jb4 stack, E30 , no meth.

I was at the track last recently and it defaulted to map 4. High IAT's (FL)
Current settings;
1500 - 0
2000 - 0
2500 - 0
3000 - 0
3500 - 0
4000 - 0
4500 - 1
5000 - 3
5500 - 3
6000 - 4
6500 - 4
7000 - 4

Boost safety 27

FOL 30

George has been helping me but I haven't heard back, wanted a second opinion.

Log during that run.
https://datazap.me/u/kevturn91/map-6-track?log=0&data=1-2-4-6-9-11-14-18-19

Map 4 only log:
https://datazap.me/u/kevturn91/is38-ed-93-jb4-map-4?log=0&data=1-2-4-6-9-11-14-18-19

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Hey guys,first time posting.

I'm currently ED IS38,DSG,FBO, jb4 stack, E30 , no meth.

I was at the track last recently and it defaulted to map 4. High IAT's (FL)
Current settings;
1500 - 0
2000 - 0
2500 - 0
3000 - 0
3500 - 0
4000 - 0
4500 - 1
5000 - 3
5500 - 3
6000 - 4
6500 - 4
7000 - 4

Boost safety 27

FOL 30

George has been helping me but I haven't heard back, wanted a second opinion.

Log during that run.
https://datazap.me/u/kevturn91/map-6-track?log=0&data=1-2-4-6-9-11-14-18-19

Map 4 only log:
https://datazap.me/u/kevturn91/is38-ed-93-jb4-map-4?log=0&data=1-2-4-6-9-11-14-18-19

Boost is over 27 for some time in 4th. Increase boost safety to 29. On my phone so didn't look at the rest.

Edit: Looks fine otherwise.

Last edited:

TCOne

Passed Driver's Ed
Installed JB4. It took 18-20 miles to calibrate/do it's thing/etc. Then, like turning on a light switch the thing turned into psycho GTI. What a power increase.

Then 1 day later I noticed that every time I'm on the hwy and give it a little gas (and I mean a LITTLE), that clutch lets go and the RPMs float up for a second.
I kind of assumed the clutch would start to go gradually after a little time had passed.

So do I try and load a tuned down map 6 to drive with until I can justify a clutch upgrade? Or go back to stock? What's the point of more power if I have to constantly baby it so the clutch doesn't slip?
The strange part is it slips when applying a little power (usually in 5th or 6th at 2.5k-3k rpm). How come I could go full throttle in stock form with no problem? Weird.

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
Installed JB4. It took 18-20 miles to calibrate/do it's thing/etc. Then, like turning on a light switch the thing turned into psycho GTI. What a power increase.

Then 1 day later I noticed that every time I'm on the hwy and give it a little gas (and I mean a LITTLE), that clutch lets go and the RPMs float up for a second.
I kind of assumed the clutch would start to go gradually after a little time had passed.

So do I try and load a tuned down map 6 to drive with until I can justify a clutch upgrade? Or go back to stock? What's the point of more power if I have to constantly baby it so the clutch doesn't slip?
The strange part is it slips when applying a little power (usually in 5th or 6th at 2.5k-3k rpm). How come I could go full throttle in stock form with no problem? Weird.

You added at least 50ft/lbs of torque, which may have been just over the limit of your specific clutch.

You can tune this out for the most part with map 6, or just not gas it in a high gear at low rpm... that's the clutch killer. Downshift to overtake or accelerate.

skian

Ready to race!

Use map 6 to dial back the boost a bit around the 3k to 3.5k rpm range. Also only use 5th and 6th for cruising.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

TCOne

Passed Driver's Ed
Agreed, the first thing I'm going to do is record a couple logs and then get some advice for setting up a conservative map 6 to use until somewhere down the road when a clutch upgrade happens. I'll prolly be back here before too long trying to set up a clutch friendly map 6.

ashiun

Ready to race!
So what exactly does a downpipe do for our cars? I get the basic premise of it increasing airflow/removing restrictions... but does this mean with stock downpipe cars are limited in how much psi they can push out, and downpipe increases the threshold? Something like 24psi limit without downpipe, 28psi limit with downpipe, or something like that?

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
So what exactly does a downpipe do for our cars? I get the basic premise of it increasing airflow/removing restrictions... but does this mean with stock downpipe cars are limited in how much psi they can push out, and downpipe increases the threshold? Something like 24psi limit without downpipe, 28psi limit with downpipe, or something like that?

Something like that...

It opens up more exhaust airflow, which reduces restrictions on the exhaust side of the turbo and lets it spin faster. This, in turn, allows the compressor side to spin faster, which pushes in more air. More air flow = more boost.

I wouldn't say 28psi is the limit - that's pretty high. My most aggressive maps spike at 26.5 psi, with the everyday DD map hitting 25 usually. 28 is right out.

ashiun

Ready to race!
Something like that...

It opens up more exhaust airflow, which reduces restrictions on the exhaust side of the turbo and lets it spin faster. This, in turn, allows the compressor side to spin faster, which pushes in more air. More air flow = more boost.

I wouldn't say 28psi is the limit - that's pretty high. My most aggressive maps spike at 26.5 psi, with the everyday DD map hitting 25 usually. 28 is right out.

I think I saw another member mentioning hitting 27-28 on his JB1 and didn't like that so he turned it down :p