GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AC evaporator drain tube?

DCCSGMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Have you tried a charcoal-activated cabin filter?

I got this back in April when it was on sale for 15 b/c i have free prime shipping: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U...f=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_AJ83zbY0G3Z9M

Here's what DAP has: https://shopdap.com//make-mode...-present/air-conditioning.html

I replaced mine back at 5k miles b/c the stock non-charcoal filter that came in my car smelled terrible starting at about 2k miles. I've driven about 5k with the filter from Amazon now, and I don't have any bad smells coming out of the AC vents.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I just picked the cheapest filter on amazon at the time, figuring that it’s hard to mess up a simple filter. I’ll definitely add the Mann charcoal filter to my wish list, but I still need to take care of the source of the odor.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Could be not using a charcoal filter is your problem. It's probably a lot more humid here and my filters last about 1.5 years. I only buy the charcoal ones and never run the fan before I shut down. The car goes into the garage hot and I shut the door on it.

I'm right at the 1.5 years mark now from the time I bought the car so it shouldn't be long now.

greypanter

Ready to race!
Could be not using a charcoal filter is your problem. It's probably a lot more humid here and my filters last about 1.5 years. I only buy the charcoal ones and never run the fan before I shut down. The car goes into the garage hot and I shut the door on it.

I'm right at the 1.5 years mark now from the time I bought the car so it shouldn't be long now.
Charcoal cabin air filter won't get rid of the smell if the smell is already present. The smell comes from the evaporator, which is placed after the air filter. Outside air[emoji654]️filter[emoji654]️evaporator (where smell causing bacterias resides)[emoji654]️ cabin.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

DCCSGMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Charcoal cabin air filter won't get rid of the smell if the smell is already present. The smell comes from the evaporator, which is placed after the air filter. Outside air[emoji654]️filter[emoji654]️evaporator (where smell causing bacterias resides)[emoji654]️ cabin.

Grey panther - Did the Kool-It eventually drain from the system and did it clear the odor?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule

Yes, of course, my bad.

allan1229

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7 gti
Know this is a old thread but I'm getting a stink smell from my car only when I'm using the defogger. Wondering if the evap could be my problem. Where exactly do u spray the Kool it?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

evilhomura89

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry for reviving an old thread but I figured it better than starting a new one on similar/identical topic

Does anyone know where is the ac drain pipe outlet located from the exterior? Is it in the firewall between the exhaust pipe and chassis body?

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Does anyone know where is the ac drain pipe outlet located from the exterior? Is it in the firewall between the exhaust pipe and chassis body?
hmm....... always worth reading the entire thread -there's often lots of information hidden in the early responses!!! :sneaky:

As example - this from my post #5 on the first page of this thread:

Don

Last edited:

evilhomura89

Passed Driver's Ed
hmm....... always worth reading the entire thread -there's often lots of information hidden in the early responses!!! :sneaky:

Don
Thanks for the reply but this is from the inside

I'm wondering how does it look like from the outside of the car /from underneath the car
Thinking of cleaning the evaporator by injecting cleaning foam from the outside

Another question - is it hard to remove and reinstall the drain hose without any damage?

Found this on youtube but doesn't show the exterior of the outlet -

Last edited:

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
I'm wondering how does it look like from the outside of the car /from underneath the car
Thinking of cleaning the evaporator by injecting cleaning foam from the outside

hmm..... it's shown in my picture - from "the outside of the car /from underneath the car", it looks like the section that is circled in the lower right-hand picture (see the outlet that has 3 x arrows pointing to it).

Another question - is it hard to remove and reinstall the drain hose without any damage?

It can be removed, but it is delicate - so be careful when "unplugging" the grommet that holds the tube into the the car frame

evilhomura89

Passed Driver's Ed
hmm..... it's shown in my picture - from "the outside of the car /from underneath the car", it looks like the section that is circled in the lower right-hand picture (see the outlet that has 3 x arrows pointing to it).

It can be removed, but it is delicate - so be careful when "unplugging" the grommet that holds the tube into the the car frame
Ya, I'm thinking it might be "blocked" by the firewall (without a direct line of sight) in the exhaust tunnel from underneath
Anyway, I've ordered a replacement tube before I proceed to remove it for cleaning

evilhomura89

Passed Driver's Ed

Don

What do you think?
Possibly located somewhere around the circled area below?
underbody.jpg

Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I haven't had a problem with the cabin filters on my MK7 but on my MK5 the they lasted anywhere from 6 months to 1.5 years before they started to stink. I didn't mind because they were a lot easier to replace.