GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

MikeyR44

Go Kart Newbie
I was driving a MK7 DSG in manual mode in 6th gear at about 40mph not paying attention and I think I lugged the engine. Definitely heard some sputtering type sounds. What kind of damage did I cause?

Subito

Ready to race!
The DSG and the TipTronic torque converter automatic like to upshift very early for fuel economy, both will induce situations where the engine is struggling well under 1500 rpm, you can hear (and sometimes feel) the change in engine note and vibes. It is, in my opinion, a significant flaw in the Golf and GTI.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
The DSG and the TipTronic torque converter automatic like to upshift very early for fuel economy, both will induce situations where the engine is struggling well under 1500 rpm, you can hear (and sometimes feel) the change in engine note and vibes. It is, in my opinion, a significant flaw in the Golf and GTI.

Just put it in sport mode it'll never shift low. At least mine when its in S mode it stays till the red line even if i'm just slowly causing, i love it haha.

MikeyR44

Go Kart Newbie
Just put it in sport mode it'll never shift low. At least mine when its in S mode it stays till the red line even if i'm just slowly causing, i love it haha.

The DSG gives you two choices... Nanny mode in D or Race track in S so I usually us the paddles, but went to 6th too early the other day and heard a sound I don’t want to hear again when I pressed on the accelerator.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
The DSG gives you two choices... Nanny mode in D or Race track in S so I usually us the paddles, but went to 6th too early the other day and heard a sound I don’t want to hear again when I pressed on the accelerator.
I've had ugly noises in D on the DSG as well. 1200-2000 rpm with throttle in 5th/6th. I think it's just a byproduct of the Eco shifting and lugging like others have said. It really won't let you damage the engine or clutch though in D or S, and the only real fix is a TCU tune or manual shifting. I'm secretly hoping VW will release a TCU update, but since we're almost 4 years in to production on this platform it's highly unlikely.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
3 choices: Driver, Sport and Manual :cool:

I think that if I had a DSG I'd be in Manual most of the time if I didn't have the DSG tune.

vincevtr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
How does stacking a tune with jb4 work exactly? Seems promising, but need more information on it.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
LOL @ vincevtr, I have not seen that one.

Sir_Mk7r: Tune is one size fits all. You might have room to add a couple more PSI at certain RPMs, which a stacked JB4 will let you do. Makes more sense with a mild tune like Uni, or if stacking with APR/ED it would probably only really make sense if you were running e30 and/or Meth to allow more boost beyond the tune.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
How does stacking a tune with jb4 work exactly? Seems promising, but need more information on it.

So basically you have your APR or UNI or ED or what ever tune on your car already. Those tunes are set and locked. They are a little conservative sometimes to prevent engine stress and to factor in all cars are not the same. Stacking a JB4 on top of it allows you to mess with a few settings such as boost throughout the rpm range and other things like control water meth system if you have that. There are a few JB1/4 threads floating around in the technical topics section that have more information and settings than you can possibly read. Also George provides outstanding support for the more complex issues.

Sir_Mk7r

Ready to race!
Yeah, I have been slowly reading portions of George Smooth's thread on jb4. That's good info to know. From what you guys are saying, since I am going apr, is to only stack if running meth since corn is not available in my area.

@2slowvw Does this allow for boost by gear capabilities? If so I would be interested in this later on...