GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Driving Modes

SeanGunn007

Curious about the functionality of the driving modes on the MK7 DSG.

When I select Sport mode by using the button next to the shifter, I can feel the shift points change in addition to the tighter feel on the steering and the extra engine noise. I usually keep it in Sport mode and I like the way the car maintains that setting even after the ignition is turned off and back on.

However, when I'm driving in Sport mode for a little while it seems to lose the higher shift points. I thought I was just getting used to it, but when I pull the shifter down to select Sport mode (which has already been selected by the button), it seems like it kicks it back into Sport, and it revs back up.

Anybody else experience this? This is my 2nd MK7 with a DSG and my last one did the same thing. It makes me wonder if it's holding the sport mode or if it reverts back to normal, even though sport is still selected.

I hope that makes sense. I checked there manual and I don't think I've missed anything. I'm not sure anything is actually wrong since this is my second one to do the same thing, I'm more curious about how it works and how I can ensure it's staying in Sport mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nype

Drag Racing Champion
The DSG always reverts to D shift points, when you restart the engine. Even if you leave the Driving Mode set to Sport Mode.

Maybe this is what you are experiencing.

adam1991

Banned
The DSG always reverts to D shift points, when you restart the engine. Even if you leave the Driving Mode set to Sport Mode.

Maybe this is what you are experiencing.

This.

2017 US owner's manual, Driving Modes, p. 318.

P. 319, right hand column, middle of page:

In vehicles with an automatic transmission, the transmission automatically shifts to Sport drive (S) when either the Sport or Race driving mode is selected. After the ignition is switched off, the current driving mode remains set but the automatic transmission may return to Drive (D) when the ignition is switched back on again.

To shift to Sport drive (S), briefly pull the selector lever back --> page 239, Shifting.

SeanGunn007

So I read that, but it seemed contradictory.

"The current driving mode remains set but the automatic transmission may return to Drive (D) when the ignition is switched back on again."

I'm wondering it says it "may" return to Drive (either or does or it doesn't). Plus, if Sport mode is still selected after you've restarted the car and it reverts back to drive, is it just the trans that reverts back to drive, but the other Sport mode dynamics stay?

I guess I'm getting stuck on why it says it's in Sport mode, but the trans switched back to drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adam1991

Banned
I see zero contradiction.

Pushing the button to turn on sport driving mode the first time "helps out" by also switching the transmission to S.

I want you to consider how the shifter behaves outside of pressing the driving mode button. Let's say you have driving mode in "normal" or "comfort", and you turn on the car and shift into drive. The transmission is in D, right?

Then you pull back the shifter and release it. The driving mode is still in "comfort" or "normal"--that hasn't changed--but now the transmission is in S.

The transmission setting is completely independent of the driver mode setting, with one small exception: the first time you move it out of comfort or normal and into Sport, it "helps" you by also moving the transmission into S.

But that is an anomaly, a thing that happens ONLY under that specific circumstance. Otherwise, there's no connection between "it's already in Sport driving mode" and "I just shifted it into Drive after coming out of the restaurant".

Zero contradiction.

is it just the trans that reverts back to drive, but the other Sport mode dynamics stay?

Yes--and that's exactly what the owner's manual says, your denial of the facts notwithstanding.

You really, REALLY want it to behave in a way that it doesn't behave. That doesn't mean the way it *does* behave is "mysterious" or "contradictory".

The world is what it is in this matter. Accept it. Do not continue to overthink it or deny it.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Wow, harsh.

Anyway, as mentioned, when “drivetrain / drive system” is set to “sport” and the engine is restarted, only the DSG shift points revert to D. The throttle sensitivity (the other setting that makes up “drivetrain / drive system”) remains in a sport setting.

I always have mine on custom with everything set to “sport” aside from DCC. That way I always have the throttle sensitivity in sport, and can toggle the DSG shift points by pulling down on the shifter.

Trancebolt

Ready to race!
Good confirmation. I was wondering myself. So the drive system setting is independent of the trans even though it does set the trans to s when you swap to a mode with drive system in s? A bit confusing. Would've been smart to have the trans mode in the custom section too, even if they had trans revert to D after restart

Will definitely think about all the input here when switching modes from now on. I'm always playing with them but this was something I was always thrown off by

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

adam1991

Banned
Good confirmation. I was wondering myself. So the drive system setting is independent of the trans even though it does set the trans to s when you swap to a mode with drive system in s? A bit confusing.

Documented clearly by the manufacturer.

Nothing confusing about it at all.

Not the behavior you want, but it's the behavior VW very clearly says they deliver.

Don't confuse "what you want" with "what they designed and delivered".

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I agree with adam1991 and nype.

I have everything set to Sport mode in my Individual setting except for the suspension and steering. Those are set to Comfort. When I pull the shift lever into S mode nothing changes except the idle speed and shift points. And I believe the Haldex decel setting but I can't confirm this. The steering and suspension remain in Comfort mode. I also can't tell if the throttle is more responsive or it only seems that way because the idle is a few hundred RPM higher.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I think the throttle is more responsive in Sport. But you’re right, it’s a bit hard to tell.

Trancebolt

Ready to race!
Well who the hell reads the manual =)

It's not even that I dislike the behavior, I just wondered why it didn't list the trans mode seperately. If it's confusing me, it's confusing others too. Im an IT person.... We think navigability of menus...

Personally I think full sport is nice once it's warmed up but use custom and leave the sound aktor in normal. The trans fluid needs to warm up I get why it begins in d.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I agree. IT person here as well. Why the hell isn’t there a separate setting for shift points and a separate setting for throttle?

adam1991

Banned
Well, that's a valid question and is separate from it behaving exactly like VW documents it to behave.

Some things you have to take on face value.