GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheel fitment for aftermarket alloys

Mathuemc

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi,
Before I get to my question, if this question has already been answered in a thread I missed when I searched, please let me know.

Anyways, MK7 GTI is currently stock with the Nogaro wheels. When looking at some replacements, I noticed Neuspeed promotes

"Spec-ed*specifically for the assigned vehicle, which translates to complete direct bolt-on fitment utilizing factory lug bolts, center caps, as well as tire pressure monitoring sensors (if applicable)"

My question is do other wheel manufacturers, say Konig, not allow me to utilize factory lug bolts, tpms, etc?

From researching, my car measures tire pressure changes off ABS, so I don't think the tpms part would be relevant. Utilizing factory center caps is also not a big deal to me.

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
The considerations that companies take into factor when they say they're spec-ed for a vehicle are typically these: bolt pattern, lug seat (conical, radius, or acorn), hub center bore, and lastly the wheel offset. This way you can bolt them on without really worrying too much about the fitment. Sometimes they'll factor in the center caps so you can swap yours over but not always. A lot of aftermarket companies use conical lugs instead of radius or don't have the same center bore so you end up having to use hub rings to get them fitted properly.

Jack Straw

Ready to race!
A common occurrence in aftermarket wheels is a centerbore that is usually larger than what VW uses. These wheels must use a concentric ring to take up the "slop." This has always struck me as a band-aid that seems really Mickey Mouse.

I swapped out my OEM Pretoria wheels for a set of Neuspeeds. I chose them partly because they had a proper VW spec center bore and used my stock lug bolts.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Good info above.

Konig does not make 57.1mm centerbore wheels AFAIK so they will require hub rings. The GTI has an odd tapered hub too so not all rings fit to cover the entire hub lip and there are vibrations at speed. Rather than eff around with rings some people just find a good wheel with 57.1mm and go with that. Sadly, not a lot of manufacturers make 57.1mm wheels in 5x112 bolt pattern. Slim pickins unless you go custom bored and that is $$$$.

Mathuemc

Passed Driver's Ed
Ahhh good to know! I had not read anything about hub bore previously. Searching for wheels with that center bore diameter doesn't really yield that many results. More researching to be done!

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
They make them a large bore so they'll be able to fit more vehicles, and then you use the cheap hub rings to custom fit them to the vehicle

So they can make one set of wheels (with a 73mm bore) that'll fit both VW (57.1) and Audi (66.6) hubs just by swapping out the hub rings (which are cheaper than making bore specific wheels)

But if you buy a 57.1 specific wheel, it won't fit onto a Audi for example

This is just in regards to VW, but it's like this with most aftermarket wheels (universal bore & then hub rings for the specific application)

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
Mathuemu: The advice above is spot on. What should also be mentioned are the potential issues with the center rings. The metal ones have a tendency to (essentially) weld themselves onto the wheel hub, a function of heat, time and corrosion. Removing them is VERY difficult. The plastic rings are, well, plastic with all that that connotes. The problem with both is that unless the fitment is PERFECT, you absolutely, positively, categorically will have a wheel vibration (or four of them) at some vehicle speed. The only sure way to avoid these potential issues is to choose a hubcentric wheel. (See Jack Straw's post above.)

Mathuemc

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes, it seems like proper bored wheels like Neuspeed is the way to go. I personally like items that are purposefully meant for an application, rather than using spacers etc. Another GTI with RSE10s it is! Haha

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
VMR does some nice wheels too with the proper center bore and bolt pattern.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
Have been using hub rings for 15+ years on Volks, CCW, BBS, Work, Desmond, Enkei, etc. with zero issues, ever. No vibration, no cracking, no seizing; Street, track days, autocross, winter, and everything in between. Literally not a single hiccup, ever.

Not sure where some of you are getting your hub rings, but IMO it's an absolute non-issue. Majority of the big wheel companies make and use them. It opens up a world of wheels. Plus, if you go to sell your wheels at some point your customer base is that much bigger.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Have been using hub rings for 15+ years on Volks, CCW, BBS, Work, Desmond, Enkei, etc. with zero issues, ever. No vibration, no cracking, no seizing; Street, track days, autocross, winter, and everything in between. Literally not a single hiccup, ever.

Not sure where some of you are getting your hub rings, but IMO it's an absolute non-issue. Majority of the big wheel companies make and use them. It opens up a world of wheels. Plus, if you go to sell your wheels at some point your customer base is that much bigger.

^ this.

Running proper rings is fine.