GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replace Pretoria's with 18" & all-seasons??

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Maybe Mercedes Metris v class wheels

That just makes me feel better than I already did about spending only $400 for alloys with Michelin X-ice tires on them.

I haven't had a deep snow challenge for these tires yet, but the reviews are good, and the Golf platform is a proven winner in the snow. HTH

I had a set of those a few years ago (the previous owner had installed them shortly before I bought the car), and they were awful in the snow. I'm not a fan of running A/S tires in the snow, but these were especially bad, like the bare minimum amount of snow traction they could get away with and still be labeled A/S. If they'd had good dry grip, that would be one thing... But they didn't. If/when you get a major snow, spare yourself the agony and stay indoors until the roads are plowed. (Maybe they've improved the design since then, but if they haven't, good luck!)

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

I test fitted them on my 17 GTI SE w/ PP and they don’t clear the front brake w/o min 5mm spacers. Urotuning offers spacers with hubring adaptation and you need new bolts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IceBerg4k1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I'm running the A/S 3+ right now in Chicago winter and they have performed admirably for an all season in the snow. The wet traction on these tires is pretty amazing too when we have above freezing temps. If storage space or $$$ is of concern, the A/S 3+ or the Conti DWS are the best compromise you can make. If their summer performance is 85-90% as good as a dedicated summer, which I expect them to be, then the decision is a no brainer given the circumstance.

translux

Ready to race!
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Ended up with MICHELIN PILOT SPORT A/S 3+ 235/40ZR-18 on 18X8 SPORT EDITION A9 in silver from Tirerack.

Too soon for any real opinions. I do think the car pogos more than I recall on the 19” and ride quality feels similar.

For $1,300 all in it feels like a good buy.

Looks like we have some snow on the way. I’ll report back on how it goes.

VW center caps are on the way.

Last edited:

translux

Ready to race!
Quick update
Tirerack inflated to 39PSI, dropped down to 36PSI and things are much better.
Ride is more compliant and can better soak up some of the bumps. Big reduction in bounce. Still need to get re-blanced but this is a big step in the right direction.

translux

Ready to race!
DEFINITELY double check because, more than likely, you should be using cone seat bolts with those and the bolt seats will/did get messed up

TireRack should've sent you the hardware (bolts) with them too, btw

Thanks so much for the sharp eye!
Very different see pic below.
Seats on new wheels looked ok.
Now I need to see if the vibration is still there at high speeds.
OEM on the left

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

translux

Ready to race!
Update: Tires are excellent, much better than the P-Zeros at speed. Feel like summer only tires until really pushed.
2"-3" of snow was a blast. Not as much grip as I recall with dedicated snows but still confidence inspiring.
Still, wish we could send more/all the power to rear. Was playing in an unplowed lot and almost understeered into a curb a couple of times.

Looks like I'll get a chance to really put them to the test...

...Long Duration Snow Event Likely This Evening through Friday
Evening...

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING
TO 9 PM CST FRIDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy snow expected. Travel will be very difficult to
impossible at times, including during the morning commute on
Friday. Total snow accumulations of 8 to 14 inches, with
localized higher amounts are expected.