GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What oil do you run?

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
GTI doesn't specify 0W40.

No, but it does specify 502.00 which M1 0W-40 meets or exceeds. The first number being "winter" viscosity, or the "cold" viscosity, is rather moot at operating temps and the difference that a 0W has over a 5W as far as cold pumpability is nominal. The viscosity spread for a 0W is usually a function of superior synthetic basestocks. Need to focus on operating viscosity, shear resistance, dynamic film strength etc. much more than a W rating.

adam1991

Banned
Agreed, but it sounded like you were specifically looking for 0W40:

Mobil 1 was the only 0w 40 I could find around here

Just eliminating confusion for the lurkers here. It's not about 0W40. It's about VW 502.00, 503.00, or 504.00 (as of the writing of the owner's manual).

In addition, VW specifies that the factory fill was 5W40 or 5W30 and that such is suitable for "normal driving in all temperatures".

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport

Definitely my bad for not specifying.

Yeah, I could not find 5w40 and did not want to use 10w30 so that's how I got to the 0w40 Mobil 1.

Ordered some LiqueMoly 5w40 so I'll just run the M1 for 5k and change in the springtime again.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon

Just eliminating confusion for the lurkers here. It's not about 0W40. It's about VW 502.00, 503.00, or 504.00 (as of the writing of the owner's manual).

In addition, VW specifies that the factory fill was 5W40 or 5W30 and that such is suitable for "normal driving in all temperatures".

Gotcha, good call.

adam1991

Banned
I want to see the INTERNAL memos from VW about what oils are suitable for "track-day-oriented driving".

I grew to appreciate Honda's maintenance minder, that looks at your driving style--cold starts, revs when cold, revs when hot, ambient temperatures, and so on--and weighs it all together and comes up with a "change oil now" warning that's dynamic per your driving style and environmental conditions.

There's good reason for VW to adopt such a thing. The computer may not KNOW why it's 85 degrees out and you just spent 20 minutes at 5200rpm, but it sure could figure that into its oil change calculations. So if you spend July at the track, you may change the oil right after.

Given that the technology is easily implemented but that VW chose not to, I would think the 10K oil change interval as a flat number is overall conservative. I dunno.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
May be difficult to get a VW recommended oil to use for an activity they don't endorse doing, ie; "racing".

As far as the maintenance minder goes, BMW used an algorithm a while back that did just that. They have streamlined it now to use one that is heavily weighted to gallons of fuel used. When you think about it, fuel use corresponds very closely to how/where/when the vehicle is operated and is the way I used to determine my intervals. Use XXX gals. of fuel, time to change the oil. I did this in conjunction with oil analysis to get close to the point where the oil needed changing. Worked pretty well and was fairly accurate.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
10k OCI report at 20K miles on my GSW TDI. Stoked. She's got a slippery engine:

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
An open secret on BITOG is that it's less the type of oil you use (within reason) and more that you're regular with changes.

Use a 502 oil, and change when you feel is right. 5-7.5k if you're doing 90% short trips, longer if you have a more rounded routine.

nofuiyo

Passed Driver's Ed
Just bought "LiquiMoly 5w40 Leichtlauf" for my first oil change at 750 miles.

I plan to do 9750 intervals.

As for my Nissan, I started using Schaeffers. This stuff is better than Amsoil, night and day difference.

https://www.amazon.com/Schaeffer-Ma...&qid=1519153348&sr=8-3&keywords=schaeffer+oil

Good choice for the Nissan. I run Schaeffer's 8008 for European Engines (meets and exceeds 502/505 spec) on my Mk7 since 1st oil change (i am at 34,5xxx right now)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peacefrog_0521

Passed Driver's Ed
Valvoline SynPower MST 5W-40

I just did my first oil change since I bought my '15 used in July.

What a coincidence. I also just did my first oil change since I also bought my '15 used in July.

I was going to go with Mobil 1 5W40 as Meijer had a sale; $25 for a 5-qt jug, less a $2 mPerks discount. I figured I'd also need a 1-qt bottle for anything more than 5 qts, and potential top-ups. But then I saw they had a Valvoline special, giving $10 off a $40 purchase of Valvoline-branded products (which were about the same price, and also meets VW specs). So I bought a 5-qt jug and TWO 1-qt bottles of 5W40, which would have sub-totaled $39.97, so I added a bottle of their fuel injection cleaner just to put myself over the threshold for the discount. So while I "spent to save" which I hate doing, I essentially got a mostly-free bottle of oil.

So far I've only put in the 5-qt jug and the level seems to be OK. I'm keeping a bottle with me just in case. I like the smell of the Valvoline. Poured in nicely even with a makeshift funnel (old oil bottle with the bottom cut off), no spills. I did the drain-and-fill because I dicked around too much researching extractors and didn't get one in time for our good weather window.