GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI OEM Noble to 235/40/18 Michelin A/S 3+ on Austin

hobbyjumper

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 GTI APR Stage-II
I got the A/S 3+ also. Do you notice a much louder tire whine around 75mph?

I would love to get confirmation that other people are getting this too and not just me :)
No whine here and I've put 250 Miles thus far since my post. At least it's quiter than the old OEM

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

takemorepills

Ready to race!
OP, with the increased width, did you get any rim protection from the sidewall? I am so frickin' pissed about how the rim on our cars protrudes more than the sidewall.
I had some custom wheels on my Prelude with Nitto tires that had protruding shoulders that protected the rim.
I have already lightly curbed 2 rims in 2 years. Frustrating.

Oh, BTW, I believe the CivicX Si comes with 235 tires, stock. For a car with a puny 1.5T motor.

Any impact on your MPGs with 235 tires? With Conti TX 225's I get excellent MPGs, consistently in the 39's on highway trips...

hobbyjumper

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 GTI APR Stage-II
OP, with the increased width, did you get any rim protection from the sidewall? I am so frickin' pissed about how the rim on our cars protrudes more than the sidewall.
I had some custom wheels on my Prelude with Nitto tires that had protruding shoulders that protected the rim.
I have already lightly curbed 2 rims in 2 years. Frustrating.

Oh, BTW, I believe the CivicX Si comes with 235 tires, stock. For a car with a puny 1.5T motor.

Any impact on your MPGs with 235 tires? With Conti TX 225's I get excellent MPGs, consistently in the 39's on highway trips...
First yes, I can see the protection, it gives me maybe 1-2CM of protection. Curb rash would really only happen if I seriously back up fast.
You won't see it happen with 235.

Concerning MPG, too early to tell. I think it seems to be the same, however I drive aggressive and stuff. I would say I may have lost .5MPG on the highway BUT again I have no baseline since last I drove I had 36MPG doing 65 for 245 miles. With 10 in city 5 of traffic.

Then 33 MPG with 80MPH same distance.

I travel from NYC to DC every weekend for work during the week.

I'll be more scientific if you want lol.

On side note the tires make some sorta bump noise when I hit the most irrelevant smallest bump on road..I think it's not tire and more something with suspension...someone said it may be endlinks...idk.

Urgh 3K miles and I gata deal with this shit.

hobbyjumper

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 GTI APR Stage-II
As an update to my previous post,

The end links arnt broken...the mother fuckers at Jack Daniels VW NJ didn't take these pucks out. The boot cover was ripped off, and I drove 3000 rough miles.

This includes me spending 850 on new tires that we're thicker to absorb the bumps...now I regret it I shoulda gotten 235/35 opposed to 235/40 oh well.

I'm asking them for a helix sub as compensation.

nate704

Go Kart Champion
As an update to my previous post,

The end links arnt broken...the mother fuckers at Jack Daniels VW NJ didn't take these pucks out. The boot cover was ripped off, and I drove 3000 rough miles.

This includes me spending 850 on new tires that we're thicker to absorb the bumps...now I regret it I shoulda gotten 235/35 opposed to 235/40 oh well.

I'm asking them for a helix sub as compensation.

wow, I would raise hell over this. Instead of the sub, I would demand for the new shocks/struts installed and 4 wheel aligned on their dime. You might want to call VoA and open up a case as well.

hobbyjumper

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 GTI APR Stage-II
wow, I would raise hell over this. Instead of the sub, I would demand for the new shocks/struts installed and 4 wheel aligned on their dime. You might want to call VoA and open up a case as well.
Oh trust me this is America, all hell will be brought to them very soon in good old court.

DSMconvert1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE PP
Had BFG Comp 2AS on my MK6 and they are great tires. My MK7 has Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ and they are so much better. Very happy I spent the money. Do a decent job holding FBO IS38 Power

hobbyjumper

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 GTI APR Stage-II
Just wanted to give MPG update. I have driven 4k Miles thus far, and I have lost around 1.5MPG-2.5 on the highway I used to be able to get 32-34MPG on same route and various conditions but now I get lucky if I even hit 31.5. avg is 29.5-30.5

I guess the added 4LB of rotational weight makes a difference.

Tire pressure is at 38PSI

takemorepills

Ready to race!
Added weight, plus any added "grippiness" ("grippiness" occurs even when just rolling along) and tread width increases overall rolling resistance. Speaking of overall, I believe your speedometer may be slightly off, affecting your calculations.

bullitt2655

Ready to race!
The original equipment summer tire is a Bridgestone Potenza S001. I don't have them, so can't compare.
I have the S001 tires that came in the car. I have 28000km on the car, maybe 22000 on them due to winters. They are due for replacement when I remove the winters. All in all not a great tire but not awful either, although I would never buy myself. Planning on replacing with the Firestone Indy 500's for the street.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

bluefox280

I have been considering these in addition to the... BFGoodrich Comp - 2 A/S.
Just mounted a set of BFGoodrich tires on my 2015 GTI PP (225/40-R18).
The tire side wall and contact patch are more substantial than the OEM Bridgestone Potezna RE97AS's they replaced.
Went for these as the TireRack reviews were high, and a lower price than the Michelin's.

I'll more details on the BFG's within the coming weeks.

- Erik

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Just mounted a set of BFGoodrich tires on my 2015 GTI PP (225/40-R18).
The tire side wall and contact patch are more substantial than the OEM Bridgestone Potezna RE97AS's they replaced.
Went for these as the TireRack reviews were high, and a lower price than the Michelin's.

I'll more details on the BFG's within the coming weeks.

- Erik

Please do!
I'm going to get the Contis or the BFG's come summer.

bluefox280

Please do!
So, compared to the Potenza RE97AS, the BFG's are much better in terms of dry and wet traction.
Turn in response from off-center is great, and reaction to steering inputs is worlds better.
Road noise is slight more, more in part to the aggressive tread pattern, but highway speeds are smooth and not jarring
Grip is good through highway exit / on-ramps; however I still see an ESP light flash more than I would thought I would see.
Perhaps I'm over driving the chassis, and need to look at some sway bars and even some springs to reduce body-roll.

- Erik

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
So, compared to the Potenza RE97AS, the BFG's are much better in terms of dry and wet traction.
Turn in response from off-center is great, and reaction to steering inputs is worlds better.
Road noise is slight more, more in part to the aggressive tread pattern, but highway speeds are smooth and not jarring
Grip is good through highway exit / on-ramps; however I still see an ESP light flash more than I would thought I would see.
Perhaps I'm over driving the chassis, and need to look at some sway bars and even some springs to reduce body-roll.

- Erik

Good to know, thanks!