GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR 1.8T IS20 & IS38 Turbo Upgrades Now Available!

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI

APR is pleased to announce a 1.8T ECU Upgrade supporting the larger factory turbos found on both the A3 Quattro / GTI models and the higher powered Golf R / S3 models.

The IS20 upgrade uses the factory A3 Quattro / GTI turbocharger and delivers 274-306 HP with the factory downpipe and 284-319 HP with an APR Downpipe. The IS38 upgrade uses the factory S3 / Golf R turbocharger and delivers 351-357 HP!

Both upgrades completely transform the 1.8T, adding between 104-188 HP over stock, depending on setup. With this release, we now support all 1.8T models in North America, as listed below:

• Audi A3 1.8 TFSI - S Tronic
  • VW Golf 1.8 TSI - 5 Speed Manual & Tiptronic
  • VW Golf Alltrack 1.8 TSI – DSG – All Wheel Drive
  • VW Golf Sportwagen 1.8 TSI – 5 Speed Manual, 6 Speed Manual, Tiptronic & DSG – Front Wheel Drive & All Wheel Drive

Product Pages:

IS20 Turbo ECU Upgrade
IS38 Turbo ECU Upgrade

Phillip.Triplett

Passed Driver's Ed
I have had this program running from APR for a little over a month now and can say I am absolutely pleased with the outcome. The IS20 produces the power when you want it and it isn't such an increase that the engine seems jumpy when cruising easy. I will say I agree with the calibrators when they said, "This guy is going to need wider and stickier tires after this upgrade!" I am running my stock wheel set up and I spin through 3rd. Definitely looking to change the shoes on the vehicle next so that I will be able to enjoy this upgrade even more.

Side Note: people cannot believe that my little car produces the power it does and have definitely turned some GTI owners heads when they thought their car was going to roll past me and didn't.

stuntnuts

Go Kart Newbie
I have had this program running from APR for a little over a month now and can say I am absolutely pleased with the outcome. The IS20 produces the power when you want it and it isn't such an increase that the engine seems jumpy when cruising easy. I will say I agree with the calibrators when they said, "This guy is going to need wider and stickier tires after this upgrade!" I am running my stock wheel set up and I spin through 3rd. Definitely looking to change the shoes on the vehicle next so that I will be able to enjoy this upgrade even more.

Side Note: people cannot believe that my little car produces the power it does and have definitely turned some GTI owners heads when they thought their car was going to roll past me and didn't.

What transmission?

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Well just had my first real drive with the tune. After fixing up a boost leak from my is20 install I had the chance to really open up the taps and see what exactly this 1.8t is capable of.

Turns out it's a whole lot.

The manner in which the car builds pace is simply astounding, after you overcome the initial turbo lag (definitely more noticeable than on the is12) you simply rocket away.

And unlike with the is12, I've found myself pulling all the way to the redline, as the car always has more to give as you climb through the revs. And despite a full stage 2 mounting kit from BFI killing all wheel hop, the power is so immense that I find myself being able to spin the tires even in third.

So far, I am one extremely satisfied customer. I'll be sure to continue updating on my long term experience with the tune, but as of now my only complaint is that it wasn't available sooner.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
wonder when we will start reaching the limit of the 1.8 internals...

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Wasn't certain where to post this but I feel this is probably the best thread. Decided to hit up Wednesday night drags at Sonoma Raceway last Wednesday (my first ever time driving on the strip) to get a feel of what the car was capable of. First run went smoothly, Melted Solid was riding shotgun with me while I raced my buddy's stock C5 Allroad. Car hooked up just fine, and to nobody's real surprise I wound up beating him. However the order got mixed up a bit when we stacked back up on line, and it quickly came to my attention what I would be up against next.

I don't think this particular hatch needs any introduction, and truth be told I was a bit nervous lining up at the lights. With launch control and AWD I really had no idea how this would play out. Only thing left for it was to gun it when the time came, and my god did I set off like a rocket. With nary any wheelspin I handily beat the RS, I didn't even see it once on the quarter mile! For anyone wondering, here are the numbers (I'm# 137)

This is my third month on the is20 tune, and honestly I'm blown away with just how capable the car is. I've had no issues running it whatsoever, and I want to send a huge shout out to Arin and the team over at APR for cooking up something truly special for the 1.8T. I'll tell you guys what, never in my wildest dreams did I ever think my puny little base golf had what it took to beat an RS.

Last edited:

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Yikes, well that's a tad embarrassing, pictures should be working now :p

Yeah the 09G transmission for the Mk7 is a nice safety blanket, though i'm somewhat dissatisfied with the nonexistent literature surrounding the maximum power it can hold. Still, I'm plenty satisfied with my is20 for road use, and i'll only really be looking into adding more power if i decide to go full track car.