GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

About to order JB1 or JB4 HELP

chase361

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys I'm reading threads but I cant seem to understand the diff between the JB1 and JB4. The JB1 is less $$ and funds are kinda limited so I'm trying to figure out what exactly is the diff between these two. On their site is saying JB 1 gets you 35 hp and JB4 gets you 45 hp is that that diff?

Pingers

Ready to race!
For the $50 extra it really is a no brainer. Get the JB4. Straight from BMS...

The JB4 features CANbus connectivity for more advanced tuning, direct AFR control, advanced safety systems for boost, air/fuel ratio, fuel trims, and engine knock, boost mapping by gear for improved traction, integrated water/meth control, and much more.

The unit can be used with our JB4 Bluetooth Connect kit providing for full in car engine parameter display, map switching and adjustment Support is also provided for the IS38 turbo upgrade providing for outputs past the 400hp level.

jonnyg

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Hey guys I'm reading threads but I cant seem to understand the diff between the JB1 and JB4. The JB1 is less $$ and funds are kinda limited so I'm trying to figure out what exactly is the diff between these two. On their site is saying JB 1 gets you 35 hp and JB4 gets you 45 hp is that that diff?

Buy a JB4 used, cheaper than JB1 new. Get the Bluetooth module if you can.

chase361

Passed Driver's Ed
For the $50 extra it really is a no brainer. Get the JB4. Straight from BMS...

The JB4 features CANbus connectivity for more advanced tuning, direct AFR control, advanced safety systems for boost, air/fuel ratio, fuel trims, and engine knock, boost mapping by gear for improved traction, integrated water/meth control, and much more.

The unit can be used with our JB4 Bluetooth Connect kit providing for full in car engine parameter display, map switching and adjustment Support is also provided for the IS38 turbo upgrade providing for outputs past the 400hp level.

WOW ok ya thats alot for $50! JB4 it is. guess Ill get the bluetooth as well.

SweetJones_29

Ready to race!
WOW ok ya thats alot for $50! JB4 it is. guess Ill get the bluetooth as well.

It is a little bit more work to install. You have to run a wire through the fire wall.

tknj99

Ready to race!
It is a little bit more work to install. You have to run a wire through the fire wall.

... and poke a hole in the AFR wire - that was the biggest hurdle for me but not a big deal in the end..

as others have mentioned, go right to the JB4. i bought a JB1 used and then wanted a bit more while staying stealth and spent another $130 on the upgrade kit... so its best to skip all that jazz if possible

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
I still think the JB1 has utility, even in the presence of the JB4 as a "set it and forget it" power adder. Some people (myself included) have no desire to further tune or mod, but are looking for a few extra hp with the ability to quickly, and easily remove if needed. I spend my mod money on suspension and brakes, but am generally ok with the power level (give or take a few extra pounds of boost). If I had to make a decision today, it'd be JB1 for my needs.

We do exist!

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Someone should really make a FAQ for the JB1/JB4. (That someone not being me)

It doesnt help that they dont come with a manual and the BMS website has minimal information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I still think the JB1 has utility, even in the presence of the JB4 as a "set it and forget it" power adder. Some people (myself included) have no desire to further tune or mod, but are looking for a few extra hp with the ability to quickly, and easily remove if needed. I spend my mod money on suspension and brakes, but am generally ok with the power level (give or take a few extra pounds of boost). If I had to make a decision today, it'd be JB1 for my needs.

We do exist!

From what I'm learning here, I think I'd go JB1 as well.
I'd rather have easier installation or removal, and more of a plug it in and forget it arrangement.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Aside from feeding the OBD wire into the cabin, JB4 is also a unit you install and forget about. You do not have to install the AFR tap on map 1 and it comes preset map 1. JB4 is a more refined JB1 and has better fuel control ontop of partial throttle control. Overall, its a better and smoother unit.

Pingers

Ready to race!
From what I'm learning here, I think I'd go JB1 as well.
I'd rather have easier installation or removal, and more of a plug it in and forget it arrangement.

The install of the OBDII cable into the cabin really is cake. I tapped a longer cable tie to the end and it snaked through and up behind the battery in seconds. A metal hanger would also work. If anyone lives in SW Florida, I would be happy to help. There is no need to remove this wire every time you visit the dealer.

I was able to create a custom Map 6 tune with George in a matter of hours. He's super responsive via emails. I haven't touched it since. I'll probably add a few custom maps for Summer and E85, but that's the beauty of JB4. You can do as little or as much as you want. If you want to run Map 1 or Map 2 canned tunes, you can just like on the JB1.