GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheels won't come off

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
Put the lug BOLTS back on but leave them a little loose. Drive the car slowly back and forth about 2 feet each way. Should loosen the wheel from the hub.

Better yet, drive a couple feet then brake HARD. They'll both break free immediately. I back off the nuts or bolts 2 turns from snug.

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
kick the tire really hard until it frees

I had this problem with a previous SUV in the past. Kicking did nothing. It took several whacks with a mini sledge hammer from the inside before it broke free.

Then I learned about the loose lug nut/hard braking trick. This is the easiest way to break corroded wheels free.

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie
You all way over complicate this. Literally a kick on the rubber and the wheel will come right off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I agree. Now as for the guy saying that I need to get someone with some muscles, you must be operating under the incredibly false presumption that I lack strength. I kicked the daylights out of that tire, yanked on it as hard as I could and sat under the car kicking it out too. I check in at 6'0 and 218lbs, spent a good portion of my life doing concrete and masonry work. I'm pretty sure I'm capable of removing a tire.

Try a smaller guy.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
This seems to be the norm for the GTI's. My brothers MK6 and my MK7 both had this happen. As others said, just hit it from the inside with a rubber mallet and it will eventually break loose. Once I got the tire off, I put some anti-seize compound on the hub and have not had the problem again.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
thx for the loosen/drive trick. I'm hoping to remember that one

Mud

My MK4 did it all the time when I lived in the northeast, with the snow and salt. I didn't know they were sticking until I took the car to have a rear wheel bearing replaced under warranty. I go over to the shop and seen the tech beating the hell out of my wheel with a rubber mallet. After that, I did what I advised in their parking lot whenever I needed work where they removed a wheel.

Sir_Mk7r

Ready to race!
A good old fashioned donkey kick does it for me, but have to hit the edges.

on another note, have any pictures of the install. trying to decide for myself if I want to go with the flaps or no

pcr

Ready to race!
It would be quite inconvenient if you were by the roadside, my car is 5 years old and the wheels have likely never been removed, maybe should be part of a routine service to remove the wheels.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
It would be quite inconvenient if you were by the roadside, my car is 5 years old and the wheels have likely never been removed, maybe should be part of a routine service to remove the wheels.

You're supposed to rotate your tires each service.

Sir_Mk7r

Ready to race!

never rotate your tires?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Most Europe cars are prone to this even Mercs etc...

Ever since my first car (which was second hand & basically they had rusted on solid inc the bolts)....as soon as I get the car off come the wheels...& a thin film of proper copper grease on the alloy hub mating face & bolt threads & bolt shoulder does the trick...never had any problems in 23yrs...

bh36913

Passed Driver's Ed
You all way over complicate this. Literally a kick on the rubber and the wheel will come right off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 ^This

All of my cars do this when I go to rotate. I just kick the rubber and it pops right off. Unless it is the end of winter and it is really on there and then I take a mini-sledge and hit the rubber once and it will free. I have learned to wire brush the mating surfaces and put a dab of anti-seize on the hub for future ease.