GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015 Golf TSi - Automatic - Passenger Side Axle - Grinding - Help

Emthree

Need a little help in diagnosing and getting a fix for my car. I picked up a wrecked 2015 golf, fixed it all up and one last item I am trying to diagnose and fix correctly.

The car has a harsh grind on the right wheel and noticeable struggling by the motor when starting and turning left or when turning left in general. So when there is load on the tire it makes the grinding noise. Going in a straight line there is no noise from the tire or the engine or the transmission.

Diagnosis so far:

- Inspected the tire to ensure there are no scrapping on the inside or anywhere. Found nothing. Replaced with a the rear tire and drove again to eliminate the possibility of a bent wheel. Same noise.
- Inspected the brake calipers for movement (no give). Inspected the brake shield for possible bends, nothing found.
- Inspected the strut for give or movement, non possible under load (lifted car from opposite side and tried to induce give) nothing found.
- Inspected the Control arms, no marks or damage, inspected the steering rod not damage or marks of contact with anything.
- Inspected all plastics and other items in the wheel well for possible contact. Nothing found.
- Inspected the wheel bearing, lifted the car up, up-down, left-right harsh movements on the wheel, no give, not even a mm, zero noise. Turned the steering left (like when it makes noise) went thru it all again no movement or noise.
- Inspected the brake disc and pads, no damage found, rotate tire while in air, in all position of steering only noise is slight rub to pads (expected)

- Last item (which I am thinking is the problem) - Passenger Side Drive axle. Is this normal?
- There is play (forward and back) on the rod between the wheel and the transmission.
- What are the possibilities? - CV joint on transmission? CV join on wheel? Actual shaft being bent?

So the car drives perfectly fine in a straight line at high speeds, makes no noise turning right, makes no turning left.

What is the suggested further diagonosis and how can I correct. Should I look to replace the whole drive axle (would like to avoid as it is $900 from dealer, install I can do myself its fairly straight forward). Should I only look to replace the CV joints (probably just as much individually)

Can this part loosen up? I have not tried to tighten it at the transmission, I did check the wheel hub nut (going thru disc, wheel bearing and into CV Joint, axle) and it was really tight.

Thoughts?

I got two videos:

First one shows the noise as I take off turning left, and you can hear the car change sound soon as I straighten. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-4AqqPR-aM
Second shows the play in the axle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_dwTHQlppc

Anyone experience the same? Recommendations? Are the after market parts someone knows if I can use?

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Is there a stone wedged in behind the brake disc, between it and the shield? Or, wheel bearings are gone.

...if it creaks, it's probably made by VAG

Sandberg84

I would look at the CV joints and or the axles CV joints make alot of noise, especially when turning. if it makes the noise turning right and left that is what I would look at first

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
The axle moving like that is normal, that is just the CV joint moving in and out. I would suggest putting the car on jacks and putting in drive and turning the wheel and see if it makes a difference (eliminate suspension loads being an issue).

itsstan

Passed Driver's Ed
Was this caused by the accident? If not, don’t forget that cv joints and drive shafts are covered by the Powertrain Warranty which is good for 5yrs or 60K mi.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Was this caused by the accident? If not, don’t forget that cv joints and drive shafts are covered by the Powertrain Warranty which is good for 5yrs or 60K mi.

Good point. I would try a dealer. Maybe they'll replace the axle or bearing for free. And you can probably buy an aftermarket drive shaft for $100 if the dealer can't get VW to pay for one under warranty.

Axles are pretty tough. I haven't seen an axle itself break. Usually the CV joint fails first.

Blabbicc

Need a little help in diagnosing and getting a fix for my car. I picked up a wrecked 2015 golf, fixed it all up and one last item I am trying to diagnose and fix correctly.

The car has a harsh grind on the right wheel and noticeable struggling by the motor when starting and turning left or when turning left in general. So when there is load on the tire it makes the grinding noise. Going in a straight line there is no noise from the tire or the engine or the transmission.

Diagnosis so far:

- Inspected the tire to ensure there are no scrapping on the inside or anywhere. Found nothing. Replaced with a the rear tire and drove again to eliminate the possibility of a bent wheel. Same noise.
- Inspected the brake calipers for movement (no give). Inspected the brake shield for possible bends, nothing found.
- Inspected the strut for give or movement, non possible under load (lifted car from opposite side and tried to induce give) nothing found.
- Inspected the Control arms, no marks or damage, inspected the steering rod not damage or marks of contact with anything.
- Inspected all plastics and other items in the wheel well for possible contact. Nothing found.
- Inspected the wheel bearing, lifted the car up, up-down, left-right harsh movements on the wheel, no give, not even a mm, zero noise. Turned the steering left (like when it makes noise) went thru it all again no movement or noise.
- Inspected the brake disc and pads, no damage found, rotate tire while in air, in all position of steering only noise is slight rub to pads (expected)

- Last item (which I am thinking is the problem) - Passenger Side Drive axle. Is this normal?
- There is play (forward and back) on the rod between the wheel and the transmission.
- What are the possibilities? - CV joint on transmission? CV join on wheel? Actual shaft being bent?

So the car drives perfectly fine in a straight line at high speeds, makes no noise turning right, makes no turning left.

What is the suggested further diagonosis and how can I correct. Should I look to replace the whole drive axle (would like to avoid as it is $900 from dealer, install I can do myself its fairly straight forward). Should I only look to replace the CV joints (probably just as much individually)

Can this part loosen up? I have not tried to tighten it at the transmission, I did check the wheel hub nut (going thru disc, wheel bearing and into CV Joint, axle) and it was really tight.

Thoughts?

I got two videos:

First one shows the noise as I take off turning left, and you can hear the car change sound soon as I straighten. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-4AqqPR-aM
Second shows the play in the axle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_dwTHQlppc

Anyone experience the same? Recommendations? Are the after market parts someone knows if I can use?

I have a 2015 GTI S and it makes this same sort of noise when turning left. I found a video on Youtube of this same noise and he said the dealer claimed it was normal. However, when he took it to an independent mechanic they found the that passenger side engine mount was cracked and that the motor was rubbing on something. I asked him for more info but have no response yet. I then checked my engine mount and it looks fine, no cracks or unusual movement. Still can't figure this out.