GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch DIY Questions

eickhoffj11

Passed Driver's Ed
Going to be replacing my clutch within the next few months before spring time.

2 major questions I have and can't seem to find definite answers to are this:

What bolts should be replaced? Stretch bolts, one time use bolts and others. I cannot seem to find a kit other than the one on HStuning.

What are the torque specs and where can I get these to reference during the job?

I'm guessing there's other people like me with similar questions and I hope we can put some clarity on these two.

I've used the search button only to find partial information.

Thanks to anyone willing to help!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Gibberoni

Ready to race!
From my post in the TTRS thread. Let me know if you have questions.

A follow up after installing the clutch:

The install went well, everything was pretty easy and straight forward. Followed the guide from RadFox on Youtube.

Here are some things to keep in mind, and parts that MUST be replaced, as they are TTY.

Your local VW will not have these parts in stock, they are all special order materials.

Be warned that the parts.vw.com does NOT have the right part numbers! I ordered everything based on that site and it was not correct!

These are all the bolts you will need if you follow RADFOX's Youtube guide. I do not guarantee that these are correct, but I am doing my best from memory doing the service 2 days ago.

TTRS KIT:
Clutch Disk - $137.99 from DAP
Pressure Plate - $417 from FCP... plus lifetime replacement (so burn it out without worry!)
TOB - $66.40 from FCP... same here. Use it up and get a free replacement

DOGBONE MOUNT:
Kit from ECS - $12
N10699401: 1x Dogbone Mount (ECS Kit ES#2951952)
N91201001: 1x Dogbone Mount (ECS Kit ES#2951952)
N91167101: 1x Dogbone Mount (ECS Kit ES#2951952)

INSIDE TRANSMISSION:
N90847002: 3x TOB Bolt - $1.20 each
N90320701: 6x Pressure Plate Bolt - $.90 each
SACHS DMF91192: DMF - $300
N90665001: x6 Flywheel bolt - SHOULD COME WITH FLYWHEEL
3419743: Clutch Alignment tool - $6

TRANS MOUNTS:
n10706901: 3x Upper transmission mount bolts (Goes into the lower mount) - $1.14 each
N10552404: 3x Lower Transmission Mount Bolt (Goes into the trans) - $3.40 each

You can alternatively only remove the bolts from the lower mount to the transmission, and then remove the upper and lower mounts as 1 piece, then you will need:
N10699701 x4 - $2.34 each

ENGINE BLOCK TO TRANS BOLTS:
N90884602: 1x Trans/Engine Bolt - $10 - Holds shifter linkage bracket in
N10721501: 2x Trans/Engine Bolt - $3 - On the top and side
N10692701: 1x Trans/Engine Bolt - $5 - I honestly cant remember where this one went...
N90916102: 2x Trans/Engine Bolt - $6 - Bottom of the trans
N91060202: 1x Trans/Engine Bolt - $5 - This one is the one that screws in from the engine side (I think)

MISC
N10699701: 1x Control Arm Bolt - This is only needed if you undo the control arm like I needed to. I was not able to get my ball join nuts off for some reason.
B000750M2: VW DOT4 Brake Fluid
06K103171G: Rear Main Seal (Highly suggested to do this)
Get a liter of trans fluid, or get 3 if you are going to change it out (holds ~2.75L)

If you are installing a new flywheel (like I did) you need to make sure your kit came with new bolts. You absolutely cannot reuse any of the bolts inside the transmission. Below is the reason why I installed a new flywheel. This is on a stock tune with the original trans setup. Changed at 68000 miles.

View attachment 19404

First thoughts on the clutch:

The engagement is about the same. The release of the clutch is where you can really feel the difference. It really wants to spring back quickly. I did not think it was a huge difference, but my wife is actually having a hard time adjusting to it.

Already put 200 miles on it, cant wait to get to 500 to see how much better this thing is. We can already feel that more power is being put down to the wheels.

Gibberoni

Ready to race!
I got mine off a mk6 forum, from one of the guys that posted in the TTRS thread. Powertrain is the same, so the torque specs should be the same...

Just cant find that thread!

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
I may have an excel sheet at home with bolt diagram and a table of torque specs for when I did my clutch. I will have to check when I am home.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I’m doing mine if it shows up today, probably just gonna buy a year subscription to AllData for $30 since I’ve never seen a complete list of torques

If you find it that would be great

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Going to be replacing my clutch within the next few months before spring time.

2 major questions I have and can't seem to find definite answers to are this:

What bolts should be replaced? Stretch bolts, one time use bolts and others. I cannot seem to find a kit other than the one on HStuning.

What are the torque specs and where can I get these to reference during the job?

I'm guessing there's other people like me with similar questions and I hope we can put some clarity on these two.

I've used the search button only to find partial information.

Thanks to anyone willing to help!

Slave cylinder assembly/throw out bearing-12 ft.lbs

Lower control arm nuts-40nm

Stabilized bar-65nm

Transmission mount-60nm+90°

Dogbone-130nm+90°

Pendulum-50nm.

I'll look for the manual for you

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

railroader

Autocross Newbie

railroader

Autocross Newbie
I’m doing mine if it shows up today, probably just gonna buy a year subscription to AllData for $30 since I’ve never seen a complete list of torques

If you find it that would be great
I posted a link to my Dropbox with the manual in it. Let me know if it works

eickhoffj11

Passed Driver's Ed
Slave cylinder assembly/throw out bearing-12 ft.lbs

Lower control arm nuts-40nm

Stabilized bar-65nm

Transmission mount-60nm+90°

Dogbone-130nm+90°

Pendulum-50nm.

I'll look for the manual for you

Thanks alot! That's pretty much what I need my friend. Now if only ECS tuning had a hardware kit for this with a detailed explanation. I guess I'm asking for too much. But am i really? Lol

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Thanks alot! That's pretty much what I need my friend. Now if only ECS tuning had a hardware kit for this with a detailed explanation. I guess I'm asking for too much. But am i really? Lol

I bought the kit from hs tuning when I did mine. I'm in the process of just replacing all the stupid stretch bolts with high grade bolts. Did the link for my drop box work

Joel

Ready to race!
Was going to replace my RMS but it is dry, and already has 8 bolts in it.
Would you replace it?