GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Auto Injuries

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
I'm feeling inspired. What sort of injuries have you suffered while working on vehicles? Pictures are a plus. Thread may not be suitable for dainty folks.

Beyond the inevitable nicks and cuts, my best was while working in a garage but not while actively working on a car. It was about 15 years ago while I was in my late teens working in a shop. The garage door was powered and had one of those Up/Down/Stop boxes to operate it. I was opening up one morning and hit the Up button. Turned around with my hand still on the box and tripped on something on the floor. I put my hand out to steady myself and my thumb got caught in the door track by one of the guide wheels as it went up. It pulled my hand up about six inches before I yanked it out and tossed a shop rag around the gash. Still have a scar from that one, awfully proud of it.

Steven31327

Passed Driver's Ed
When I was working part time at our family builders merchant, we were making some repairs to the delivery flat bed truck, one of the side walls wouldn't come undone, there are these pin like things that go through a securing hole to hold them in.

Anyway I was trying to pry one out, and it suddenly came lose, the side wall flew open and my little finger got ground between the hinge and flatbed. My nail was half gone and my finger looked like it had been in a blender, bits hanging off etc, apparently i went a very funny shade of green.

5 hours in hospital, they glued my finger giblets back together, couple of stitches, lots of wound dressings, took about 10 weeks to heal, now half my nail doesn't actually bond to the nail bed so I can cut it back to half a nail, weirds people out [emoji48]

They said I would lose my nail but I didn't, it just regrew, proved them wrong haha, and I got to keep my finger, bonus

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I've always had injuries working on cars, lol

Dropped a MK7 GTI exhaust on the edge of my eyebrow and sliced it open a couple years ago helping a fellow member out. Probably needed stitches, but didn't get them

A bad one though....I somehow got the tip of my finger pinched inbetween the subframe and jack stand (while using the other hand to operate the jack) while placing the jack stand and smashed my index finger with the whole weight of the car. It took a second for me to realize it too
It swelled up BAD and turned purple/blue

I tried to shake it off, but then ran up to work (thank god I take Xrays) and took a quick pic....luckily didn't break it.
Just some nerve damage I believe since I get some tingling randomly

I'm lucky I didn't break it and/or shear it off

Untitled by snobrdrdan, on Flickr

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
Beyond the usual niks & cuts, I've never been hurt, although my wife was hurt a few times by my cussing, which I regret now :eek:

Enjoying the stories & pictures on this thread tho. :D MOAR !!

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Installing an exhaust on my old car, I managed to drop a stainless steel muffler on my face.

Twice.

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
I have been rather lucky, small cuts and bashes. Nothing ER worthy.

I hate working in cold weather though, always hurts twice as bad when it’s freezing out

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
One of my old friends said that if you don't bleed when working on a car, something is going to go wrong. When you do bleed, you're pleasing the car gods.

worldacgti

Go Kart Champion
I once cut my finger right to the bone installing an exhaust.....countless scars on my hands and even one on my forehead