GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTD Engine Knocking Noise on Idle - Normal?

Jamie93

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi,

Recently I have noticed that My GTD sounds quite rough on idle and seems to have an irregular knocking noise coming from the engine bay which can be heard more when the engine is hot. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing it (see attached video)? Does this sound normal for a GTD because I have heard other VW's with the 150ps 2.0tdi with a similar mileage (32k) which sound a lot smoother than my car :/ Additionally, there is an intermittent cold start issue with the car, where it can take a longer than normal time for the engine to start after being stood for a long time - could they be connected?? Many Thanks!

https://youtu.be/LQxraSVFLRE

Jamie93

Passed Driver's Ed
Rappy,

That makes me happier that it isn't just my engine that sounds like this!! The reason I was a bit suspect is that some of the pool cars we have at work are Passat estates which have the 150ps version of the 2.0 TDI engine, and having listened to these they seem to be a lot quieter and smoother in sound compared with my GTD - I was under the impression they were pretty much the same engine with different turbo/injectors etc. - I may be wrong!! The GTD seems pretty clattery at idle when warm if im honest from my opinion, and I was more concerned that there seems to be an irregular tap/knock from the engine (can be heard faintly from about 9 - 12 seconds in the video??) - is this anything to worry about??/

Davo1

Sounds normal to me that. I have a 2014 gtd and the engine sounds the same although I have a slightly different noise which I'll have to record now!

simba

Passed Driver's Ed
noise.

sounds o/k to me, mines just been in for a squeaking noise when cold they thought it could be a pulley. you need to hear like for like though hard to tell on the internet. I don't think I'm to far away could try them side by side maybe.

KGB1

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi Jamie

Is your car manual or dsg?

Could be dual mass flywheel if manual, does pressing the clutch pedal alter the noise at all?

On the starting taking longer, mine does the same at random times, not sure why but thinking along lines of electrical issues due to various other random glitch's with the car.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Sounds like the normal Massey Ferguson sound of a cold oil burner. You get used to it in the end or as I did turn the stereo up. NEVER open the bonnet when the engine is cold as you will think the pistons are going to slap you in the face.

Jamie93

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi Jamie

Is your car manual or dsg?

Could be dual mass flywheel if manual, does pressing the clutch pedal alter the noise at all?

On the starting taking longer, mine does the same at random times, not sure why but thinking along lines of electrical issues due to various other random glitch's with the car.

The car is a manual, however I have pressed the clutch in and released again several times and the sound of the engine doesn't change?? The only thing I do notice is that as the clutch pedal passes the point where the clutch would engage if in gear, the engine revs drop ever so slightly and then stabilise again - is this normal??

Jamie93

Passed Driver's Ed
Sounds like the normal Massey Ferguson sound of a cold oil burner. You get used to it in the end or as I did turn the stereo up. NEVER open the bonnet when the engine is cold as you will think the pistons are going to slap you in the face.

That was with the engine warm, after driving approx. 40 miles - the GTD, or at least my GTD, does seem to have a very coarse sounding engine!

pipsyp

Ready to race!
I'm on my 2nd and both knocked when v cold on cold start at low revs or if it's sat for a few days doing nothing.

I put it down to the injectors being that bit noisier until warm.

I have also found that VAG TDI'S do get noisier as they bed in, but the flip side is they drive better and become more flexible.

deano-g

Hey did the op get to the bottom of the knock/rattle. I take it the two vids on YouTube are yourself, as the noise on the vid by your wheel arch is the same as mine has developed. I'm suspecting oil pump but on a car with 35 k is unbelievable let alone a v dub. Cheers in advance.

deano-g

Can anybody shed any light on this, as there are other videos showing same noise. Even tsi engines surely this is not normal as it would have done this from the beginning any help greatly appreciated.

Edit only does it from about 5 mins engine running and when up to temp doesn't do it.

Jamie93

Passed Driver's Ed
Found out it is the vacuum pump rotor causing the noise. The vac pump and oil pump in this engine is a combined unit with a single shaft. Went to VW and it seems there is a tpi out for this issue, which classifies this as normal operational noise, and that vw will not pay for any vacuum pump replacement unless it is causing an issue with the operation of the vehicle (I.e. Not generating adequate vacuum). I checked on ErWin and this seems to be true. Not sure whether vw has redesigned the part or not to get rid of the noise, but if they have then it will be replacement at the owners cost if noise if the only symtom. One benefit in my case though is that even VW thought it was the water pump at first, so got a new water pump and timing belt all under warranty :)!!

deano-g

Cheers for the reply man. Kind of thought it could be the balance shaft in the oil pump. Is there any chance this can lead to oil pressure failure? This is my only concern really. Can't believe a circa 30k car has these faults, which is a pity as i love the damn thing.