GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 R intake take 2

Car(s)
MK VII 7R
So I have recently installed IE intake on my MK7 R, (pictures not mine)

My first impression were good, performance wise to the butt Dyno was better throttle response and loud induction noise.

After a 2 weeks of the install I decided that it's not for me as the induction noise was just too much and the engine bay was not looking good, so I decided to look for another solution but couldn't find anything to my liking from the major brands in the US(APR, CTS, etc.)

Looking around the internet a stumbled on company less know in this part of the world, MST Performance their intake was exactly what is was looking for

Their intake utilizes the OEM airbox with a larger cone filter and a 3" pipe,

The heat shield can be installed in two ways Open or closed system which gives you some sort of control over the induction noise.

what surprised me and made me "bite the bullet"* is that the include a 3" turbo inlet pipe with the kit

The plan is to remove the ice tray in the OEM box when installing it and opening the OEM intake inlet as well as some Black SS hose clamps to make the install cleaner*

The customer service is top notch having to chat with them on FB, they offered to throw in one of their "camouflage wraps" for the intake pipe free of charge this goes hand in hand for my plan to hydro dip the engine cover in Snow Camouflage finish.

Not to mention the price point of the kit which is 424 USD Shipped

[Review]

So I rescived this intake and installed it around two Weekes ago.

Packaging [10/10]
Package was great, nothing moved inside the box as there was planty of packing materials to really secure the intake during shipping, they even threw in lots of goodies, t-shirt, stickers, Keychain

Quality of product [10/10]
The product feels solid, from welding points to the wrinkled black Quality is top notch.

Install [8/10]
Becuas of how awkward the filter is steated inside the air box, I struggled a bit fitting everything to gather, lots of adjustments needed to be done to the turbo inlet hose *not the inlet pipe*, plus the way the box sits close to the battery its almost impossible to fit the last screw on the modular plate which makes it a closed system.

Sound [9/10]
9/10 for a good reason, I wish it was a tad more quite when the you run it as a ksed system, you can still hear the induction and the tutututu when left of the throttle, when I removed the modular plate, it was as loud as the IE.

Will try to get some videos soon

Overall experience [9/10]
I'm really happy I got this intake, it's was definitely what I was looking for, looks, function, sound, customer service was even on another level, why 9? Because of the damn screw that I was not able to fit at the back of the modular plate.

Last edited:

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Lost me at it uses the stock air box for that kinda $$$. Shoulda just bought a drop in filter and an aftermarket elbow and pocketed the other 225 bucks. Or add the intake pipe and pocket the $175

But to each his own, hope it lasts ya more than 2 weeks this time :)

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Lost me at it uses the stock air box for that kinda $$$. Shoulda just bought a drop in filter and an aftermarket elbow and pocketed the other 225 bucks. Or add the intake pipe and pocket the $175

I have to agree. It's a $400 airbox cover.

nate704

Go Kart Champion
The whole purpose of going aftermarket intake is for the noise, and I just don't understand why spending $400-500 for the same setup and little benefit.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
The whole purpose of going aftermarket intake is for the noise, and I just don't understand why spending $400-500 for the same setup and little benefit.

I will say this, at least it’s not a hot air intake, or at least not as hot as his previous setup, judging by the pic, although you can still see the filter by the washer tank so...

Car(s)
MK VII 7R

It doesn't matter how big the box/heat shield is to get the gains, it's how the air reaches the filter in what velocity and how it flows to the the turbo, 400 is very responsible price keeping in mid the turbo innlet compared to APR, IE, AMS, etc

They claim:
GAINS +13.2HPS +23.7NMS *@3959RPM which is close to what other brands offer although this will be hardly noticeable

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

1stGTI1

Passed Driver's Ed
I will say this, at least it’s not a hot air intake, or at least not as hot as his previous setup, judging by the pic, although you can still see the filter by the washer tank so...

Should it not matter since the air is going to pass by the intercooler anyway? On a NA engine, I can understand the hot air intake, but a turbo with intercooler shouldn't matter much right?

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
It doesn't matter how big the box/heat shield is to get the gains, it's how the air reaches the filter in what velocity and how it flows to the the turbo, 400 is very responsible price keeping in mid the turbo innlet compared to APR, IE, AMS, etc

They claim:
GAINS +13.2HPS +23.7NMS *@3959RPM which is close to what other brands offer although this will be hardly noticeable

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Personally I think all the claims from any of them are bullshit, if you lose that stupid stock “snograte” and use a higher flowing filter. If you dremel the sealed secondary inlet on top of that, I personally believe it performs as well as any intake you actually spend $$$ on. The only gain is noise with an aftermarket intake, open hot air intake even more noise than a good sealed intake, which may or may not be worth it in itself to the end customer, but performance, nope. VS the bone stock intake with snograte in place and the paper filter maybe a little, but nothing but noise VS the drop in and removal of snograte.

Now you might say how do I know any better than anybody else. Well I have a 16 R tune only with just the aforementioned mods and the much heavier modded 17 in my signature, the only performance gain I noticed is the down pipe and unless you live somewhere really hot or are making multiple back to back to back to back to back pulls the inter cooler isn’t worth the $$$ either, on a street car that sees light duty track days here and there, neither are any of the piping inlet side or after/turbo muffler delete, throttle body, or inter cooler pipes imo

As to what you said about the $$$, my point still stands, for less than half the price you could have bought the higher flowing drop in, thrown away the snograte, stuck on an inlet elbow , still be running the oem lower box, have the same performance and 200-225 buck more to throw at the dp, the only real performance bolt on for the stock turbo setup, besides the tune of course.

And it would be sealed better than either picture you’ve posted of either intake, thus lowering intake air temperatures pre turbo, making the inter coolers job even easier. If the initial air it’s grabbing is cooler it’s always a good thing, right, can’t hurt.

Anyway driving both cars the only thing I notice is out of the hole the down piped car spools faster, from a roll I doubt there is any difference, except the 17 makes all sorts of turbo noises and the exhaust is louder. With what I’ve learned between the 2, if I could go back, they’d both be tune only cars with a drop in and snograte removed and secondary inlet dremeled and a bunch more cash in my pocket. I had to find out for myself, and I have. 95% of the mods are all marketing, vw has done a damn good job stock and a good tune is all that really matters until you get to big turbos or different fuels.

I’m not trying to be a dick, really I’m not, I know that’s almost weird on a forum nowadays. I’m just currently in a position where I can literally drive 2 R’s that are differently modded, back to back at any time and share what I believe is a more valuable opinion because of that.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Just put $400 in a pile and set it on fire. Same results.

Better yet, send it to the American Red Cross. There are many suffering and much cleanup work to do. Would be a FAR better use of the money than spending on some turd like this (especially the first one pictured above - "hot air intakes" are not exactly good for performance).

Car(s)
MK VII 7R

Better yet, send it to the American Red Cross. There are many suffering and much cleanup work to do. Would be a FAR better use of the money than spending on some turd like this (especially the first one pictured above - "hot air intakes" are not exactly good for performance).
U need to relax a bit, no one is forcing you to like the products that you don't like,

Anyways updated with a review

Sheeeeesh

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-710F using Tapatalk

Car(s)
MK VII 7R
Sorry didn't notice how big they are, posted them via tapatalk

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

^^ this

U need to relax a bit, no one is forcing you to like the products that you don't like,
It's not about liking and personal preferences, it should be allowed to tell the truth even if YOU don't like it. :p

Btw, you got it for free since you agreed to write a review, right? ;)