GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fully Forged Internals

Audi SSP 439 on the A4 2.0 TFSI flexible fuel motor. To manage the added
stress among others Audi did the following:
Pistons rods used from the RS3 2.5 TFSI engine with propriatary bearings,
exhaust valve seats, laser honed cylinders and sensor for fuel quality G446.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Fueling is a good point. Ethanol kills pistons (and rods sometimes).
Ethanol burns with a much sharper pressure peak compared to gasoline.

Remember more power makes increased temperatures. Higher temperatures
at the same time mean a loss of strength of the piston's alloy.

;)

What % of Ethanol was used in this graph, E85 or E99 I assume? Was curious of the source as well. Couldn’t find using a Google image search, so it must be a private publication;) Curves will look much different for E10, E20 or E30 etc. Definitely something to think about for those thinking about an E85 conversion, but wanting to stay with stock internals. Could be a problem no doubt. For those of us running modest ethanol/gasoline blends, it shouldn’t be a concern.

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
What % of Ethanol was used in this graph, E85 or E99 I assume? Was curious of the source as well. Couldn’t find using a Google image search, so it must be a private publication;) Curves will look much different for E10, E20 or E30 etc. Definitely something to think about for those thinking about an E85 conversion, but wanting to stay with stock internals. Could be a problem no doubt. For those of us running modest ethanol/gasoline blends, it shouldn’t be a concern.
I agree. It wouldn't be the first mention of strengthened internals for flex fuel. Episode of Goss' Garage in the States comes to mind. Still would like to read up on that article quoted above.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Who wouldn't? I would love to, but seeing where things take me first. Trying to take things one step at a time to be sure my car is safe.

Normies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
I agree. It wouldn't be the first mention of strengthened internals for flex fuel. Episode of Goss' Garage in the States comes to mind. Still would like to read up on that article quoted above.

Me too, I find this stuff fascinating. It is quite interesting that ethanol burns cooler, yet it creates more power (higher cylinder pressures). Here is a good post I came across when doing some research. I only have a minor in chemistry, and haven't applied my knowledge in over 20 years, but at first glance this guy seems to know what he is talking about.

The Hot and Cold of E85 vs Gas: A Theoretical Analysis
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums...hot-cold-e85-vs-gas-theoretical-analysis.html

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
Me too, I find this stuff fascinating. It is quite interesting that ethanol burns cooler, yet it creates more power (higher cylinder pressures). Here is a good post I came across when doing some research. I only have a minor in chemistry, and haven't applied my knowledge in over 20 years, but at first glance this guy seems to know what he is talking about.

The Hot and Cold of E85 vs Gas: A Theoretical Analysis
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums...hot-cold-e85-vs-gas-theoretical-analysis.html
Just read it now. Much thanks. Makes sense about less ethanol needed than gas to achieve same cylinder pressures, adding to it's already inherant cooling effect. Too tempting to not crank up the power with it though and cancel that out, hehe. :)

About the effect of the ignition impact on the internals with ethanol, I'd love to read up on it because I'm under the impression that it's just a mild, gradual flame front expansion that raises cylinder pressures and associated temps. So I'm assuming this research shows that the measured acceleration rate of the flex fuel burn expansion, or its pressurizing of the cylinder, isn't compatible with long-term reliability for traditional piston, rods, etc. OE must have good reasons for the swapped engine parts.

If this is just a ploy for BB to highlight how cool the Clubsport is in comparison, well, fine. It's true - it's a monster and I'm jealous.