GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Heat wrapping dowpipe benefits?

daredeezy619

Passed Driver's Ed
Is it recommended to heat wrap a downpipe? I currently am running a downpipe with no heat wrap and wanted to see if there is any benefits to heat wrapping. Will it affect my IAT's? I know the intercooler is up front i wouldn't think that IAT's would be affected.

FLtrooper

Go Kart Champion
Is it recommended to heat wrap a downpipe? I currently am running a downpipe with no heat wrap and wanted to see if there is any benefits to heat wrapping. Will it affect my IAT's? I know the intercooler is up front i wouldn't think that IAT's would be affected.

IATs are most likely not effected unless you have an open element intake and your idling. The stock intake is sealed and pulls air from the front of the engine.

:)

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
I used Prosport Titanium wrap, works well and was very easy to work with. Helps keep the under hood temps down, keeps the exhaust velocity up, and my cat is further downstream on my DP so this helps the cat warm up a bit quicker since it's no longer right next to the turbo.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Has anyone got any temperature readings with stock DP, aftermarket, and aftermarket wrapped?

That's a good project for me, I have an IR gun!

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
That's a good project for me, I have an IR gun!

I measured my DP and its around 600F on a hot summer day at idle with the ABS module roughly around 150-200F I believe. I have access to a stock DP car that I need to measure and see what that is at.

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
just a note, I recommend not wrapping anywhere that road salt may be introduced.

Had a focus, years ago, with a 4-2-1 header (exhaust manifold at the front of the engine) wrapped intricately, feeding an aerocharger, and everywhere that salt got was badly rusted and pitted in one Pennsylvania winter.

if your winters are like Milton likes his margaritas... good to go. otherwise caveat emptor