GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aftermarket Shift Knob - any regrets?

slide13

Ready to race!
I’ve had my 17 Sport 6MT almost 8 months. So far only changes have been clutch delay valve removal, clutch stop, and return spring removal. But now I have a Boomba short shift adapter arriving today and I’m kicking around the idea of an aftermarket shift knob such as Raceseng Sphereology.

The process of replacing the shift knob appears to be at least potentially destructive to the OEM knob if one plans to reuse the boot. So I’m a little hesitant.

For anyone that has made th switch to an aftermarket knob, be it Raceseng, BFi, or Boomba....do you have any regrets? Anything I should know before doing it?

Also...it feels like I’m stepping over the edge on my car new car....already looking at intakes, Borla exhaust, JB4 (though that one will need to wait until I can swing a clutch too probably).

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
OOOOO I love the raceseng SPherology. I had it for the last 2 years, Love the weight and the finish. Now i have the Raceseng Circuit Cylinder

I was teh same btw. I started with just a jb1 and an intake....then a downpipe....then a dv+....then shifter items, etc. Now im full blown track ready with a wing/splitter/track tires hahaha

Enjoy the journey! I really suggest Raceseng though over everyone, the weight and quality is there.

ashiun

Ready to race!
I switched to the Euro Impulse shift knob. Yes your OEM shift knob will get verifiably rekt if you mess with it. Your hands too.

I cut myself with a flathead at least 3 times separating the knob from the boot, and when I say cut I mean gouged out flesh/skin.

TgDn32

I put on the Raceseng Ashiko awhile back. My only regret was not taking more time and care getting the stock shifter off, in case I ever wanted to go back to stock.

BaronGTI68

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't regret adding my Boomba knob at all-- a great improvement over the OEM, the reduced throw is a bonus. It's unfortunate that you have to physically separate the boot from the knob but the groove on the Boomba coupled with the zip tie secure the boot for a finished look.

slide13

Ready to race!
OOOOO I love the raceseng SPherology. I had it for the last 2 years, Love the weight and the finish. Now i have the Raceseng Circuit Cylinder

I was teh same btw. I started with just a jb1 and an intake....then a downpipe....then a dv+....then shifter items, etc. Now im full blown track ready with a wing/splitter/track tires hahaha

Enjoy the journey! I really suggest Raceseng though over everyone, the weight and quality is there.

Nice! Glad to hear someone has been happy with that exact knob! It looks really cool and it sounds like their quality is top notch.

Thanks for the feedback!

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
OP - I haven't done this mod (yet) but there's supposed to be a way to get the OEM knob out without cutting. Tutorial somewhere around here. Hopefully someone with experience can chime in.

K.A.I.N.

Ready to race!
I too have the Raceseng Sphereology. The only other thing I have is the clutch stop and it's perfect for my daily driver needs. I love the weight and lowered knob height.

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
Raceseng Slammer. Got one for the BRZ too. This will be the first mod for every car I ever own from now on.

I'd recommend the raw stainless. The clear coat on my wife's previous Ashiko chipped and peeled. Damage probably got started from her rings catching at the sharpish angle near the top of the knob.

If you live in a hot climate, these shift knobs can be painful in the summer, unless you buy/make a "shifter condom."

slide13

Ready to race!
Raceseng Slammer. Got one for the BRZ too. This will be the first mod for every car I ever own from now on.

I'd recommend the raw stainless. The clear coat on my wife's previous Ashiko chipped and peeled. Damage probably got started from her rings catching at the sharpish angle near the top of the knob.

If you live in a hot climate, these shift knobs can be painful in the summer, unless you buy/make a "shifter condom."

Yeah, one thing I really like about the "_ology" series is they have a SS core and then a shaped delrin cover. Two benefits there, the delrin shouldn't get as hot/cold as the stainless would alone and you can swap the delrin covers to change color/shape of the knob as well.

Definitely sounds like people are happy with their Raceseng knobs, great to hear!

ashiun

Ready to race!

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
I have the stock shifter still (love the look of it) but i do recall people saying if you live in a hot climate, make sure you don't get a metal ball shifter, when you get in it will be hotter than hell.