GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is a GTI the right car for me?

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
The 2017 Sport trim is perfect for you. Cloth, no sunroof, different wheels.

So is the '18 SE, with the doubled warranty span. Then you also get a better touchscreen display and full LED lights.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
1)Are the cloth seats only available on the base model?

2)I don't need a sunroof. Those don't come on the base models?

3)What year model? It looks like the 2016 model changed a bit. Is there something there that the car needs over the previous generation?

4)I'm not a fan of the 5-spoke wheels most of them seem to come with. I'm looking at a Wolfsburg with multi-spoke wheels. Are those available only on certain models?

I know I'l be giving up some power but I'm retiring soon and just want something sporty but economical. I won't be doing any racing or modifying. Just want a basic car that I won't cry if I see a ding in the door, but still be a little special thing to drive.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

1) Cloth seats are available on the base "S" model and the "Sport" model. The initial press release for the 2018 models says that the SE model will be come with leather as an option (meaning cloth standard), but VW is absolutely TERRIBLE at effectively communicating upcoming offerings with reliable detail in advance, so i wouldn't count on it.

2) No, sunroofs are not available on the base model, (or the 2017-exclusive Sport trim).

3a) The only difference between 2015's and 2016's is that the 2016's got a much better radio unit with apple carplay, and VW finally ditched their proprietary device-interface plug in favor of a normal USB port. Also I believe the 2016's and 2017's don't have locks on their gloveboxes. This said, I strongly suggest buying a 2016 (if buying used) because the 2015's head units SUCK (believe me, I've owned 2 of them. Both suck, in some of the same ways and some in unique ways).

3b) Another note of differentiation between model years is that 2015 and 2016 models were packaged differently. What I mean by that is that a base S model could have lighting package, performance package, drivers assistance package, and DCC, while an Autobahn could have none of the above. For 2017 they changed it so that the packages were in-built to the trim levels. All 2017 S models are completely base, none have the performance pack, lighting pack, etc. All 2017 Sport models have PP/LP (all it is is the base model with those two packages, but you lose fog lights and get cooler wheels). All 17 SEs have PP/LP. All 17 Autobahns have PP/LP/DCC.

3c) One last thing is that 2-doors were, I believe, only offered in 2015. Could be wrong, there might be some 2016's.

4)The Wolfsburg trim you're mentioning was for the previous generation MK6 GTI, and it came with Laguna/Watkins Glen wheels (sometimes you'll see people refer to these on the forums as "Watkinunas"). You can buy these online, but they're OEM and expensive and heavy. You can spend the same amount and get a true upgraded wheel that's styled very similarly.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
So is the '18 SE, with the doubled warranty span. Then you also get a better touchscreen display and full LED lights.

define "better."

I will bet 20$ that the new touchscreen will have tons of issues, and it's also a gloss look so oils will be significantly more visible. Way more upkeep.

Also, am I the only one who prefers some buttons?! I don't enjoy the fully-touch screen trend. I don't even like the digital dash.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
\
Also, am I the only one who prefers some buttons?! I don't enjoy the fully-touch screen trend. I don't even like the digital dash.

You're far from alone. Fortunately, the 8" "upgrade" we get still includes volume and tuning knobs. The bigger 9.2" model, which we won't get, has NO knobs and is 100% touch. Bleccch.

As for the digital dash - personally I would MUCH prefer it. The blue needles on the analog cluster pretty much disappear during daylight hours, and it drives me nuts. Much better legibility under all conditions with the digital setup. But definitely a matter of personal taste - some will love it, others will loathe it.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
3b) All 2017 Sport models have PP/LP (all it is is the base model with those two packages, but you lose fog lights and get cooler wheels). All 17 SEs have PP/LP. All 17 Autobahns have PP/LP/DCC.

Great synopsis, but don't forget the Sport also comes with Kessey keyless entry and push button start as well as different mirror caps. The Kessey is a cool feature so don't sell it short.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
It was a Tiguan rental that made me look at VW.. I was impressed. But as mentioned it is interesting how many different reviewers said that they would want to own a GTI.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
It's very telling that an enthusiast like Jeremy Clarkson owns one as his daily driver. After reading all the reviews on the MK7 over the years through current, I don't know how VW is going to make it even better. Sure, you can add a little more power here, a bigger touch screen there, cool dash, etc.......but the basic underlying design of the car is going to be hard to top. It gets accolades from every major reviewer out there all over the World!

In fact I was going to drive my MK5 GTi for another year or so, but I got very excited when I started reading and hearing about the MK7 and I just couldn't wait and had to go out and buy a new 2017 Sport! So glad I did.

Last edited:

IBFreeman

Ready to race!
Great synopsis, but don't forget the Sport also comes with Kessey keyless entry and push button start as well as different mirror caps. The Kessey is a cool feature so don't sell it short.

It's a necessity to me, at this point. My significant other has an S, and I'm caught saying "WTF" when I go to get into her locked car and I'm not granted access. I then again said "WTF" when go to push the non-existing button.

I also rode in the backseat the other weekend (at night) and I truly realized how nice the cabin is from all positions. Our cars are something special.

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
define "better."

I will bet 20$ that the new touchscreen will have tons of issues, and it's also a gloss look so oils will be significantly more visible. Way more upkeep.

Microfiber cloth = problem solved

It still has knobs though. I feel it's a good balance. At this point, a 6.5" display feels dated. 8" is the minimum acceptable size for a new car in 2017.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Has anyone noticed some of the cool retro stuff on the infotainment and gauges? The trip odometer rather than just changing a digit like a normal digital numeral would, it "rolls forward" like the old mechanical odometers.

Also if you're tuning a radio station with the knob on the infotainment system there is an analog dial with a pointer and the analog number scale like the old radio's. I'm sure there is more, but haven't noticed.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Microfiber cloth = problem solved

Baah. Anything that needs to be wiped daily to not look hideous is a fail in my book. Matte screen a must on any car touchscreen. Matte much better for glare rejection too.

It still has knobs though. I feel it's a good balance. At this point, a 6.5" display feels dated. 8" is the minimum acceptable size for a new car in 2017.

Agree, 6.5" is just small by now. I'm ok with it in my R, but on a new car, that ship has sailed.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
My buddy has a 2017 Hyundai Elantra Sport......he has a bigger infotainment screen than my GTi and it's matte instead of gloss screen and the graphics look like something from Playskool. The layout is horrible. It's nowhere near as crisp and classy looking as my smaller screen. If the screens get too busy and you have to swipe through multiple screens or icons to get any info, that's much less user friendly. Because you're supposed to be driving and paying attention to the road. I like the infotainment system in my Sport. It's uncluttered and easy to use quickly while driving. A good balance of ease and features, IMO. More complication or features isn't always preferable. A larger screen would be nice however.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT

I forgot, otherwise I would've mentioned it. I miss KESSY a lot. My first MK7 had it, my current one does not. Also, my current one's key range is abysmal. It doesn't read key inputs unless I'm within about 20 feet of the car, sometimes less, with a direct line of sight of the front of the vehicle.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
It's a necessity to me, at this point. My significant other has an S, and I'm caught saying "WTF" when I go to get into her locked car and I'm not granted access. I then again said "WTF" when go to push the non-existing button.

I also rode in the backseat the other weekend (at night) and I truly realized how nice the cabin is from all positions. Our cars are something special.

Yeah me too man. Fumbling for the key hole is sometimes like playing those stupid arcade games with the crane and the toys in the bin.