GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocrossing / Driving Techniques


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2017, 01:58 PM   #528
RacingManiac
Senior Member
 
RacingManiac's Avatar
 
Drives: Night Blue Metallic PP GTI 2dr 6MT
Location: Michigan, USA
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 750
Our region locally used to have a solo school at the beginning of the season. Format typically is like 10-15 runs day and you get an instructor who will ride along and maybe even drive your car to show you where it may go faster. We haven't had that for a few years though.

More nationally SCCA have a "Starting Line" Program which is usually organized with local region where they will send instructors and do an organized "school" for a day:

https://www.scca.com/pages/sl-autocross

It's not cheap but its actually decent value with what is included. I've volunteered for one and I feel like this school is great for absolute beginner since it has specific exercises for the more typical elements you will see at an event. And culminate in the end with a full course that will help you apply thing things you learned. Unfortunately I think most of the Starting Line School this season have already been completed. You have to wait til next year to see the schedule.

Another one not run through SCCA is the Evolution Driving School:
http://evoschool.com/

Similar idea, but I think this is more focused and can benefit from having SOME autocross experiences. Their schedule is on the site. They also run some smaller school in conjunction with the National Tour events in the area. I've taken the Phase One school and when I did it I've autocrossed for about 2 seasons on and off and I find that to be quite useful. Looks like quite a few California dates coming too.
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:33 AM   #529
IHazTurbo
Junior Member
 
Drives: 2017 Mk7 GTI Sport
Location: West Michigan
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 14
Labor Day weekend I competed at the WMR SCCA Autocross at Grattan Raceway
I've never competed at a national event but I'm hoping to try my luck at it sometime in the next year or so. I've been doing this for about 12 years now a couple events a year. This was my first time at an actual track though.
Car is completely stock except for some 224/40/18 Continental ExtremeContact Sport tires. In the events I've done this year with WMR and Furrin group I've gotten 2nd at the DeltaPlex, 1st at Michigan's Adventure, 1st at GVSU, and 1st at Grattan. My brother races his ST in the same class, it feels good to put that car in it's place. My previous car was a semi-prepped MK6 GTI and I struggled to keep up with the ST's in the past.

Lots of room for improvement but figured I'd share some of my runs as well.

https://youtu.be/3Wl3WINgDWE <--Grattan winning run

https://youtu.be/A-htn4XvA_I <--GVSU winning run (lots of wind noise)
IHazTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:06 AM   #530
imapirrana
Member
 
Drives: 17' GTI Autobahn
Location: Chino Hills, CA
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
Our region locally used to have a solo school at the beginning of the season. Format typically is like 10-15 runs day and you get an instructor who will ride along and maybe even drive your car to show you where it may go faster. We haven't had that for a few years though.

More nationally SCCA have a "Starting Line" Program which is usually organized with local region where they will send instructors and do an organized "school" for a day:

https://www.scca.com/pages/sl-autocross

It's not cheap but its actually decent value with what is included. I've volunteered for one and I feel like this school is great for absolute beginner since it has specific exercises for the more typical elements you will see at an event. And culminate in the end with a full course that will help you apply thing things you learned. Unfortunately I think most of the Starting Line School this season have already been completed. You have to wait til next year to see the schedule.

Another one not run through SCCA is the Evolution Driving School:
http://evoschool.com/

Similar idea, but I think this is more focused and can benefit from having SOME autocross experiences. Their schedule is on the site. They also run some smaller school in conjunction with the National Tour events in the area. I've taken the Phase One school and when I did it I've autocrossed for about 2 seasons on and off and I find that to be quite useful. Looks like quite a few California dates coming too.
Thank you for the suggestions! When I didn't see any events for Starting Line, I thought it may have been cancelled. I was planning on waiting till next year anyway for budgeting reasons. I'll be sure to take a look towards the end of the year or the beginning to see when the schedule is up.
imapirrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:41 PM   #531
RacingManiac
Senior Member
 
RacingManiac's Avatar
 
Drives: Night Blue Metallic PP GTI 2dr 6MT
Location: Michigan, USA
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHazTurbo View Post
Labor Day weekend I competed at the WMR SCCA Autocross at Grattan Raceway
I've never competed at a national event but I'm hoping to try my luck at it sometime in the next year or so. I've been doing this for about 12 years now a couple events a year. This was my first time at an actual track though.
Car is completely stock except for some 224/40/18 Continental ExtremeContact Sport tires. In the events I've done this year with WMR and Furrin group I've gotten 2nd at the DeltaPlex, 1st at Michigan's Adventure, 1st at GVSU, and 1st at Grattan. My brother races his ST in the same class, it feels good to put that car in it's place. My previous car was a semi-prepped MK6 GTI and I struggled to keep up with the ST's in the past.

Lots of room for improvement but figured I'd share some of my runs as well.

https://youtu.be/3Wl3WINgDWE <--Grattan winning run

https://youtu.be/A-htn4XvA_I <--GVSU winning run (lots of wind noise)

Wow the layout they used for the Grattan event changed from when I last run that.....

They used to start on top of Turn 3 and finish right after the last corner, so the front straight was not used at all....

I wish I can do this event but it conflicts now with travelling out to SCCA Nationals...
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 03:05 PM   #532
IHazTurbo
Junior Member
 
Drives: 2017 Mk7 GTI Sport
Location: West Michigan
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
Wow the layout they used for the Grattan event changed from when I last run that.....

They used to start on top of Turn 3 and finish right after the last corner, so the front straight was not used at all....

I wish I can do this event but it conflicts now with travelling out to SCCA Nationals...
Yeah, I watched a few videos from prior events there because I wanted to see how the track was laid out, especially being my first time on the track. They said this was the first year they were running it this way and it appears as though most people liked it. The rain is the only thing that ruined the event for the last couple of heats. Out of 5 runs they both only had 2 or 3 dry runs.

I wish I could compete more in SCCA but being my daily driver I'm being a little cautious with the event frequency and travel.
IHazTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.