GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Stage I ECU & TCU Upgrade

ketoi12345678

Ready to race!
Just the IS20 is a pretty good upgrade and you can find them used for $300 give or take. JB4 can be found used all of the time for under $400. Downpipes can be found used as well, but a decent one is $400 or so. So all in all you can feasibly do an IS20 swap with everything needed for less than the cost of just an IS38. Realistically it will have a better power band for everyday driving as well. A few JB4 only IS20 guys have dynoed there cars and they are in the 300whp/350wtq range

Any story on IS38 with JB4 only, or with injectors upgrade? By the way, does it need to be Golf R injectors or GTI injector are good enough?

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Any story on IS38 with JB4 only, or with injectors upgrade? By the way, does it need to be Golf R injectors or GTI injector are good enough?

Myself and some others have found the max of the stock injectors with the IS20 and some e30. The gti injectors will lower trims 9% and the R injectors lower them 20%. So if I’m maxing at 51 I would rather them drop 20% to 40ish if I’m doing the labor of swapping them. 9% Just isn’t worth it

Zero-Phux-Given

I just got the APR Stage I ECU Upgrade this morning. I certainly noticed a difference in sport mode, especially on the freeway. I haven't had much time to drive it today but it certainly is a lot nicer!

I got told it's $85 to remove the Tune and re-apply it if I send the car in to VW for a service. Will a tune really affect the entire warranty? (e.g. The headlight is out, but you got a tune, so it's no longer covered.)
I've also heard some people saying there is a way to do it yourself, so I'm unsure.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
There isn't a way to un-flash the car yourself with APR, but even if you could it wouldn't matter. On modern VW's there is a flash counter that will notify the dealership if they plug their computer into the car, even if it's been flashed back to stock. Don't waste $85 at that shop for something that doesn't actually make a difference. This will likely only affect engine and drivetrain warranty work, but the need for that kind of work is pretty uncommon. I personally have gotten warranty work on 3 or so items, including a warped windshield, problem with a wheel bearing, and something else I think without any problems.

Legally, in order to deny warranty work VW needs to be able to prove that whatever mods you have done have in some way affected the part they are doing warranty work on. This is pretty vague and the way it works the dealer does the work for free and then is reimbursed by VW, so if the dealer gets it wrong they're screwed. Usually dealers will be sensible and feel confident that VW won't deny the warranty for a headlight because you have an ECU tune, but some are jerks. Generally if the dealer is being a jerk about it you can find another dealer that will be nicer, but don't expect to be able to replace a blown turbo under warranty any more (don't worry, not really a problem with the 1.8t). Sorry we didn't tell you this beforehand, I kind of forgot people might not know. It's the reason on the previous page that we were saying the JB4 is the best when it comes to preserving your warranty.

Zero-Phux-Given

There isn't a way to un-flash the car yourself with APR, but even if you could it wouldn't matter. On modern VW's there is a flash counter that will notify the dealership if they plug their computer into the car, even if it's been flashed back to stock. Don't waste $85 at that shop for something that doesn't actually make a difference. This will likely only affect engine and drivetrain warranty work, but the need for that kind of work is pretty uncommon. I personally have gotten warranty work on 3 or so items, including a warped windshield, problem with a wheel bearing, and something else I think without any problems.

Legally, in order to deny warranty work VW needs to be able to prove that whatever mods you have done have in some way affected the part they are doing warranty work on. This is pretty vague and the way it works the dealer does the work for free and then is reimbursed by VW, so if the dealer gets it wrong they're screwed. Usually dealers will be sensible and feel confident that VW won't deny the warranty for a headlight because you have an ECU tune, but some are jerks. Generally if the dealer is being a jerk about it you can find another dealer that will be nicer, but don't expect to be able to replace a blown turbo under warranty any more (don't worry, not really a problem with the 1.8t). Sorry we didn't tell you this beforehand, I kind of forgot people might not know. It's the reason on the previous page that we were saying the JB4 is the best when it comes to preserving your warranty.

Ahh okay, in that case that's pretty much what I was expecting. Except now I know just to save my $85, haha

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
The ECU and TCU upgrade makes a MASSIVE difference on this platform.

1 -Way more power than you'll see with any other method of modifying - and it's done with as much safety in place as possible. That means tons of work to make sure lambda adjusts with component temps to protect the turbo, and ignition advance adapts heavily when knock events occure (think bad fuel).

2 - the DSG on this platform his very boring. They did this to fight for an ounce more fuel while making the car just feel dead. TCU tuning greatly fixes that.

Get both. It's a massive difference. If you don't think it is, try it for 30 days and return it if you're not satisfied.

BronxBomber

Ready to race!
His car is an auto, so unless something has changed very recently the TCU tune does not apply to the OP