GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

245/3019 ON A GTI

madface1

Go Kart Newbie
thanks, i realize everyone on this forum is scared to tires that are slightly smaller than oem.
I sell tires for a living working for a tire wholesaler so i fully understand heights/diameters/sidewalls etc.
my only concern is rubbing on the car

That's not really the case, at least for me anyway. I'm speaking solely from an aesthetics standpoint, your car is hardly lowered, so having a small sidewall just isn't going to look good. I run 265/30s, but my car is also lowered like 3" lol

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
That's not really the case, at least for me anyway. I'm speaking solely from an aesthetics standpoint, your car is hardly lowered, so having a small sidewall just isn't going to look good. I run 265/30s, but my car is also lowered like 3" lol

^This. If you have other options, and you've pointed out numerous times you work for a tire distributor so you've got options, you wouldn't pick a 30 series tire over a 35 series tire unless you NEEDED to run a smaller tire. It's not about being worried to run a smaller tire, it's that there are better choices you can make.

TDI Matt

Ready to race!
ED springs so about 1.3” 19x8.5 et 45. That’s what I would run if it would fit. But it would require stepping into 19’s from 18’s.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
ED springs so about 1.3” 19x8.5 et 45. That’s what I would run if it would fit. But it would require stepping into 19’s from 18’s.

Depending on the tire brand and sidewall profile a 245/35-19 may be fine. If you don't have any spacers, a 8.5" et45 wheel is just about flush in the front and is 5-8mm inside the fender in the rear. If you're concerned about rubbing with a wider tire you can stick with the 235/35-19 OEM spec on that wheel as well.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
thanks, i realize everyone on this forum is scared to tires that are slightly smaller than oem.
I sell tires for a living working for a tire wholesaler so i fully understand heights/diameters/sidewalls etc.
my only concern is rubbing on the car

You work for a tire re-seller and you're asking about posted tire width?

No offense mate, but tire vary so significantly between manufacturers on widths that a 235 can be as wide as a 255 between different brands. Just look at a 235/40/18 direzza z2 ss...it's 9" wide on tread width!! The same "size" in a PSS is only 8.5" wide. I believe an re71r is even narrower at 8". A 255/40/18 in a re71r is 8.9" wide, but the same tire in 255/35 is 9.3".

I recommend anyone looking at this thread to look up the tire you want on tirerack and look at "tread width" under specs. That's their own standard measure and is comparable between brands.

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
You work for a tire re-seller and you're asking about posted tire width?

No offense mate, but tire vary so significantly between manufacturers on widths that a 235 can be as wide as a 255 between different brands. Just look at a 235/40/18 direzza z2 ss...it's 9" wide on tread width!! The same "size" in a PSS is only 8.5" wide. I believe an re71r is even narrower at 8". A 255/40/18 in a re71r is 8.9" wide, but the same tire in 255/35 is 9.3".

I recommend anyone looking at this thread to look up the tire you want on tirerack and look at "tread width" under specs. That's their own standard measure and is comparable between brands.

wow. thanks. i have never looked at a tire manufacturers specs sheets. things like overall width and tread width are things i have never heard of before. so i have no idea what they mean nor do i know that those specs are based on a specific rim (measured width)width that is also listed in their spec sheets.

i asked what i thought was a simple question. guess not. i may even run 255/35/18 but since very few people have can say that x tire with x wheel with x offset with x suspension will fit i guess i’ll have to try myself.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
wow. thanks. i have never looked at a tire manufacturers specs sheets. things like overall width and tread width are things i have never heard of before. so i have no idea what they mean nor do i know that those specs are based on a specific rim (measured width)width that is also listed in their spec sheets.

i asked what i thought was a simple question. guess not. i may even run 255/35/18 but since very few people have can say that x tire with x wheel with x offset with x suspension will fit i guess i’ll have to try myself.

Tire rack really does all the work for you, which is really nice!! The more I shop from them, the more I think they should pay me for advertising for them, lol. Really though, those numbers don't mean much except for bragging rights. The stock Bridgestone to me feel stretched on a 7.5 rim and they're a 225. I honestly think a narrow running 255/35/18 is the ideal size for this car on a 8.5" Rim... Something like an re71r would probably be solid. I'll be trying out that tire in that size next year after I try a 235/40 in the Dunlop direzza z2ss..