GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TheGreekFreak's Tornado Red GTI

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Alright, finally dumped photobucket and got some images sorted. Here is a shot after a full detail including wax/seal a while back.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
A shot of the car with FL taillights installed + black side stripe

Coincidently, this was the day I had Chris from East Coast Auto Styling try throwing on some 3M matte red on the rear quarter panels. While he did a great job, I had him stop after the first panel. Color was wayyy too orange like, nothing like what I expected.

It was taken off immediately and we will try re-wrapping with a clear matte paint protection film. Hopefully that gives the more subtle effect I was looking for.

Last edited:

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Agreed that orange looks horrendous... could try for something black? would be too much black possibly... I do like that rocker panel stripe a lot... well done...

when are springs going on? :D

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Agreed that orange looks horrendous... could try for something black? would be too much black possibly... I do like that rocker panel stripe a lot... well done...

when are springs going on? :D

Ya I agree, black may be too much. I wanted the panel to come out the same shade red as the car just in a satin finish. Something unique but not over the top. Will see how the clear matte paint protection wrap comes out.

Torn between springs + shocks or coilovers :D I'm really indecisive, these things take me a while, but definitely want a very subtle drop.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Added some ebay carbon fiber inlays to the front and rear badges (seller: mcneil141). Really love how they turned out. Was happy to notice after the fact that the VW logos on the centercaps have a similar fake carbon-like pattern in the inlay area as well, so its a perfect match!

Johnpaul

Ready to race!
So I have to ask; what do you think about the WRX vs the GTI? I like my GTI but I seriously more AWD. Of course the golf is an option but I also like Subarus... What's your thoughts?

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
So I have to ask; what do you think about the WRX vs the GTI? I like my GTI but I seriously more AWD. Of course the golf is an option but I also like Subarus... What's your thoughts?

Honestly, they're two completely different cars. The cons of one are the pros of the other. The subie is obviously much quicker off the line, has a better clutch/shifter, and better low end torque but is a harsher ride, has a crappy interior, crap lights, the torque dies by 4.5K, and is just overall less refined. The GTI punches harder in the mid range, feels faster from a roll, is wayyy more refined, wayyy better brakes, much nicer HID lighting/FL tails, but does have a shitty OEM clutch and wheel hops if you're not careful. The GTI does handle much better imo and feels significantly lighter which is important to me.

Personally, I like the GTI better overall. I live in Boston and, despite our bad winters, I faired just fine last year. Didn't miss my 4WD Jeep one bit. With the LSD, it just stays planted through tight corners and inspires a ton of confidence on twisty backroads. The WRX...not so much, its more of a handful and feels bloated/heavy through turns.

Having driven both extensively, unless I was looking to go the route of a high HP build, I wouldn't trade the GTI for the subie.

My $.02

Johnpaul

Ready to race!
Honestly, they're two completely different cars. The cons of one are the pros of the other. The subie is obviously much quicker off the line, has a better clutch/shifter, and better low end torque but is a harsher ride, has a crappy interior, crap lights, the torque dies by 4.5K, and is just overall less refined. The GTI punches harder in the mid range, feels faster from a roll, is wayyy more refined, wayyy better brakes, much nicer HID lighting/FL tails, but does have a shitty OEM clutch and wheel hops if you're not careful. The GTI does handle much better imo and feels significantly lighter which is important to me.

Personally, I like the GTI better overall. I live in Boston and, despite our bad winters, I faired just fine last year. Didn't miss my 4WD Jeep one bit. With the LSD, it just stays planted through tight corners and inspires a ton of confidence on twisty backroads. The WRX...not so much, its more of a handful and feels bloated/heavy through turns.

Having driven both extensively, unless I was looking to go the route of a high HP build, I wouldn't trade the GTI for the subie.

My $.02

Thank you so much for your review! I actually live in Vermont and people around here go crazy over Subarus. I was tempted to get a Subaru just because there's such a big community and lots of quality shops to work on Subarus. I would love to get an LSD put in my car but I can't find anyone in New England who's worked on a DSG transmission before.

What you mentioned about the Subaru feeling bloated is very interesting. I didn't realize there would be such a difference in the driving feel between the two cars. Thank you!

Kent1

How much was the vinyl for the rear quarter panel? I'm thinking about doing a matte grey or silver on a ceramic steel metallic finish. I'm also in MA - where is the shop you go to for the wraps and decals?

EDIT: I definitely dig the cosmetics you've added to the car!

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
How much was the vinyl for the rear quarter panel? I'm thinking about doing a matte grey or silver on a ceramic steel metallic finish. I'm also in MA - where is the shop you go to for the wraps and decals?

EDIT: I definitely dig the cosmetics you've added to the car!

Thanks!

The guy is on the forum, name = Whispaz. His company is East Coast Auto Styling. He does all the work himself and his prices are super reasonable considering he only uses the good stuff (3M 1080).

Here's his website: http://eastcoastautostyling.com. Tell him I sent you, he'll give you a good price.