GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to modify & improve the gearshift for a MQ250 gearbox on a MK7 Golf

Calum.

Passed Driver's Ed
Costs more for a quality product, that also replaced the plastic cable end links with metals ones. I understand wanting to stay OEM, but the OEM shifter assembly is full of inferior materials and you can feel it. You can't see the shifter under your air box anyway, but IMO the DG Sigma looks nicer than the stock piece anyway.

It's funny you say that, I priced out the required parts at the dealership, here's what it looked like.

VAG part numbers

*1J0 711 203 L
– Metal side to side lever $82.98
*1J0 711 550
– White plastic “E” shape guide $14.83
*1J0 711 761 C
– Black plastic Bowen cable end $38.94
* **N91 225 101 -
Retaining washer, metal clip $1.58
8J0 711 046 D -
Gear shift lever (kit) $104.09
N90 761 102 - Hex collared nut $1.14
N90 815 903 -
Retaining washer, metal clip $1.50 x 2

*Part number 1J0 711 202P has been superseded (according to the parts guy) by the top four part numbers.

** I have no idea where this part number came from, the parts guy wrote it down, but I can't find it in thepartsbase web site. Presumably, this should just be a third N90 815 903.

http://www.partsbase.org/search/?num=N91225101
All told it would be about $250 CDN for those parts, plus the $20 USD + shipping for the bushing from 42DD.

Not much cheaper unless I can get the parts from somewhere else.

For anyone trying to gather the parts numbers, here's the 42DD SKU numbers

42DD SKU number

42-446-001
42-444
42-455-007

njavier03

Ready to race!
EDIT: actually ecs tuning has all the parts mentioned in the above post.

Last edited:

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
Relocated my pin on my OEM lever today.. pin is now 50mm from the fulcrum, which translates to approx. a 30% throw reduction over stock for this lever.

I also sourced a metal relay lever

gopi_rm

Passed Driver's Ed
I would like to install short shifter in my 2016 Golf Estate with 1.4 TSI 125 PS 6-Speed Manual transmission.
But I do not know whether my gearbox type is MQ200 or MQ250.
Could someone please tell me how to find the gearbox type in my Golf.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
The easiest way is to look at the metal arm with the weight on it which is below & to the left of the battery.

gopi_rm

Passed Driver's Ed
The easiest way is to look at the metal arm with the weight on it which is below & to the left of the battery.

Thanks mate!
I checked and as expected it is MQ200.
Is there OEM/Aftermarket short shifter for MQ200 gearbox?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Golfdave do you have the shifter shaft bushings from DieselGeek as well? I have them and would recommend.

https://www.dieselgeek.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=SHIFT-SHAFT

Never seen these before...:eek:

Did some research, watched their vids & checked mine for movement, which are in good condition, car has less than 20k on the clock...

I have a good 0.5mm at join, & 2mm each side at the gearknob..which means I have 2mm where the cables connect to the central rod that the gearknob is on!!

No wonder it still feels recalcitrant....:mad:

Most cars I have worked on & previous ones have had the other type of spring mechanism, so was not 100% certain about any improvements to this part of the mechanism.

Anyway thanks for sharing with me & I will be ordering & posting info up!!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Last edited:

Blade3562

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
None
Hey Dave, just swapped the trans in my car for another 5 speed, but the shift pattern seems to be out of alignment. I have all my gears, but the pattern is rotated to the right a couple degrees. Is there something I need to align/adjust? Planning to install the metal selector arm here soon, but don't want to wait to solve this issue!

Also can confirm the Neuspeed 66.10.95 fits the MQ250 5 speed trans. It's a significant throw reduction. Not exactly sure how to measure it.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hey Dave, just swapped the trans in my car for another 5 speed, but the shift pattern seems to be out of alignment. I have all my gears, but the pattern is rotated to the right a couple degrees. Is there something I need to align/adjust? Planning to install the metal selector arm here soon, but don't want to wait to solve this issue!

Besides the standard VW shifter cable alignment procedure I have no other suggestions..

Blade3562

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
None
Turned out I had the side to side off. The drill bit I used for the Home position the first time was just a tad too small. Will report back once I have the metal cable ends!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Turned out I had the side to side off. The drill bit I used for the Home position the first time was just a tad too small. Will report back once I have the metal cable ends!

Because the base alignment hole is in plastic the alignment is never 100% compared to the older VAG stuff which was metal...so the correct diameter pin/tool is required.

I have a metal rod which I bent to have a nice finger pull/handle...& the full thickness..just like the VW tool...

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/shifter-alignment-pin/t10027a~oev/

:cool:

Blade3562

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
None
I can't believe I waited so long to do the metal cable end bushings. I got the side to side 42DD bushing in and wow what a difference that made! Waiting on the metal front/back lever from Europe before I install the front/back bushing. Would highly recommend! I'd put this up there as one of the must have mods for the car. I took my car in to the dealership a couple weeks after purchase complaining about shifter play. The 42DD metal bushings appear to easily solve that issue!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I can't believe I waited so long to do the metal cable end bushings. I got the side to side 42DD bushing in and wow what a difference that made! Waiting on the metal front/back lever from Europe before I install the front/back bushing. Would highly recommend! I'd put this up there as one of the must have mods for the car. I took my car in to the dealership a couple weeks after purchase complaining about shifter play. The 42DD metal bushings appear to easily solve that issue!

I strongly recommend the Diesel geek gearstick shaft bushes....look at my post early on in this thread...:cool: