GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Carbon Steel GTI

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
Lookin' good!! How are you liking the new found power w/JB4

Great so far! It seems to give the power smoother throughout the revs compared to stock, which I feel like just shoves all the power at once then tapers off as you go up the rev range. It also gave some boost down low in the rev range which is awesome for regular commute (though I always just downshift if I wanna pass).

Haven't gone into the rabbit hole of Map 6 yet... :D I can't really do logs alone with my laptop so maybe I'll grab a Bluetooth connector kit later on. But for now, Map 1 is enough. Maybe I'll test out Map 2 when I get my downpipe... my clutch probably isn't gonna like it ;)

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
Any rubbing issues with the Prets and ED springs?

Not in my regular commute. Just the typical avoid potholes, slow down for bumps etc. and I don't get any sort of rubs.

Now, I am noticing a weird noise when I turn the wheel on full lock.... I'll have to check it out. I doubt it's rubbing but I'm not sure what it is yet. Could be just the tire but who knows.

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
Not much updates, still on the same specs. Just got the 034 engine/trans mount and will be installed soon hopefully.

Bug mod also hit and I’m really tempted to get tuned this year, either APR or Cobb. Might be APR just for flash and forget. JB4 has been great but I want more power... Who knows, maybe I’ll prioritize Bilstein B8’s first.

Last edited:

m0sh

What throttle pedal cover did you get?

That looks like it would help heel-toeing a lot!

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
What throttle pedal cover did you get?

That looks like it would help heel-toeing a lot!

It's from SRP Racing, if you e-mail them they can make you one for the MK7. Throttle pedal fits well, easy to drill too since it isn't metal unlike the brake pedal. I have a pair of brake/clutch too but had to get them to make the holes at different places since there's a big hole in the center of the brake pedal (you'll see it when you remove the OEM pedal cover).

Currently using some rubber spacers to raise them up a bit more.

Also a good discussion here http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38531&page=5

frailingbanjo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE 6MT
Your wheels are great. Got my 16 SE MT about a month ago, and starting to figure out what I want to do.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
Sweet ride man! My journey has just begun also.

Thanks! It's been almost 2 years with the car and I love it like it was new. Granted, this was my first new car and first with any sort of performance :)

Your wheels are great. Got my 16 SE MT about a month ago, and starting to figure out what I want to do.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Thanks!! Got the Pretoria's at a deal. They're currently my summer set until the tires get worn out, then I'll make it my year round set with Conti DWS06's. For now, my curbed Austin wheels are my winter/cold temp set :D. Luckily we don't see much snow here so I get by fine. Will eventually get rid of the Austins to make room for lightweight wheels.

WASTGTI17

Passed Driver's Ed
I see you have ditched the JB4 and have gone Cobb w/ Stratified. How are you liking the combo so far? How is the combo compared to the JB4?

Any mechanical/engine issues thus far? My GTI has only 2k miles on it, and planning on upgrading around 10-15k miles.. starting to plan out my upgrade path.

Your ride is looking sweet, love the color w/ your new wheels.

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
I see you have ditched the JB4 and have gone Cobb w/ Stratified. How are you liking the combo so far? How is the combo compared to the JB4?

Any mechanical/engine issues thus far? My GTI has only 2k miles on it, and planning on upgrading around 10-15k miles.. starting to plan out my upgrade path.

Your ride is looking sweet, love the color w/ your new wheels.

Loving the tune. I only have 1 or 2 revisions left until my tune is complete but it's completely blown me away. I loved the JB4 and still highly recommend it for people who don't want to ECU tune, but it really is a big difference compared to flash tunes.

I was on JB4 probably at 10 or 11k miles? I sold it and went Cobb at around 21-22k miles. I'm currently at 25k and so far there's no issues. I did upgrade the engine/trans mount because of wheel hop.

Still on stock clutch and it has survived so far. The tuner did see a bit of clutch slip during peak torque when I was logging but it hasn't been an issue so far. I always shift down once or twice if necessary to pass or if I want to go heavy on the throttle.

WASTGTI17

Passed Driver's Ed
There's still a few things I want to accomplish before the tune.

HPA Dog bone w/ puck
Complete exhaust 3"
Lighter wheels w/ better tires
Intercooler (not sure on this one.. WA state is pretty cool and I won't be taking my GTI to the track, needed?)

carchrism5

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
There's still a few things I want to accomplish before the tune.

HPA Dog bone w/ puck
Complete exhaust 3"
Lighter wheels w/ better tires
Intercooler (not sure on this one.. WA state is pretty cool and I won't be taking my GTI to the track, needed?)

That's a common misconception. Just because you live in a generally cooler climate doesn't mean an intercooler isn't worth it. Sure the difference becomes greater as it gets really hot but you'll see benefits of lower IATs in all weather. I live in CT and did an intercooler, definitely a worthwhile upgrade.