GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clunking sound in front end

16AutobahnGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys,

Experiencing a very strange sound every time I go offer a speed bump, rough road, etc. This noise occurs at all speeds, slow speed it’s louder and more noticeable, higher speeds not as noticeable because of wind noise.

Backstory to this all was I needed a new engine put in because of a major mechanical failure. This problem was NOT there prior to having the engine swapped out. Since having it put in, this problem now exists. Dealer replaced sway bar end links and that didn’t do anything at all. Took it back a second time and they swapped the drivers side strut, mount and bearing. Problem went away for a couple weeks and now it’s back, slowly becoming more and more frequent just like before. Took it to the dealer a 3rd time and they can’t replicate the problem. :rolleyes:....Talking with the master mechanic at the dealership we discussed control arm (they look fine to him), all bolts are tight and to spec. Struts show no signs of being defective. Sway bar and links are tight. I mentioned subframe bolts, but he said he can’t cover that under warranty, because it would be my choosing to have that done even though they’re tight and to spec. Although the subframe has some oil and grime on it I noticed, and I’m curious if any of that oil or whatever perhaps is getting under the bolts making them slide and croak. Idk maybe just a thought.

So, I posted a YouTube video showing the noise when going over bumps in a parking garage. Let me know your thoughts. Definitely need help on this one!

https://youtu.be/wNClFK05Li4

Jamie93

Passed Driver's Ed
Lower control arm rubber bushes are dry - had it on mine before! VW (in the U.K. At least) are aware of this issue and will apply grease to the bushes. Did it to mine about 18 months ago and still all ok! 99% sure it's this

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Why do all you motherfuckers delete your videos once your problem is solved? Many use the forums to diagnose their own issues but if you delete your video we have no way of knowing if our issue is the same as yours

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Why do all you motherfuckers delete your videos once your problem is solved? Many use the forums to diagnose their own issues but if you delete your video we have no way of knowing if our issue is the same as yours

Since that guy last posted in the forum a year ago I don't think he's going to see your comment.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Since that guy last posted in the forum a year ago I don't think he's going to see your comment.
I know =(. just hoping others see it and dont follow the trend

Proxima2

Ready to race!
I had a clunky sound coming from the front end....seemingly from the driver's side. I poked around and could find no problems so I took it to VW for a looksee. Turned out to be a bad steering rack. Thank God it was under warranty.

DatOneGuy

Car(s)
mk7.5 rabbit
I have this same issue and I'm wondering if they will warranty it. Is it possible to blame the rack on a tune? I have pretty basic mods and no suspension stuff yet. Its 19 gti came with the 6year 72,000 warranty. I'm currently at 31,000

And will I likely get TD1 when I go? Kinda nervous as they quoted me 4500 $ if its not under warranty. And if that's the case ill just do it myself and get all the aluminum subframe and control arms and sway bar while I'm putting in the rack and still be less then 4500$.

Any input on the warranty part would be appreciated!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I have this same issue and I'm wondering if they will warranty it. Is it possible to blame the rack on a tune? I have pretty basic mods and no suspension stuff yet. Its 19 gti came with the 6year 72,000 warranty. I'm currently at 31,000

And will I likely get TD1 when I go? Kinda nervous as they quoted me 4500 $ if its not under warranty. And if that's the case ill just do it myself and get all the aluminum subframe and control arms and sway bar while I'm putting in the rack and still be less then 4500$.

Any input on the warranty part would be appreciated!
It's not up to the dealer but a good dealer will support your position that a tune wouldn't cause it.

neoupa2002

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf Wagon
I had a clunky sound coming from the front end....seemingly from the driver's side. I poked around and could find no problems so I took it to VW for a looksee. Turned out to be a bad steering rack. Thank God it was under warranty.

I have a clunk sound nearly always going over a speed bump. I should go book a warranty check if it's that serious...

DatOneGuy

Car(s)
mk7.5 rabbit
Well thats good to know. cars basically stockish ahhahaa. But mostly just bolts on and a stage 1 tune. I booked an appointment for Friday.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
What was your sound and how did they diagnose? Mine sounds like metal on metal, almost like im driving over a loose manhole cover

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I’m having similar clunking issue in the front and I got my steering rack checked out and it’s all good. They told me the noise I’m hearing is brake pad shift since I’m still rocking the stock pads.
The stock pads shouldn't do that. Just aftermarket.