GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IC benefits when tuned in PNW

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I will provide as many pictures as I can based on requests. It's certainly well made, and much bigger than any other fmic on the market, except for maybe yours lol.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I’m very excited about how well my kit came together, and yes it’s about as big as you’re gonna fit without cutting or trimming! Either way anyone with more than stock power will see night and day lower/more consistent IAT with any of these great options! I’m just glad to be a part of pushing the platform and the more options the better to do so!

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
How will this kit fair against a true Factory replacement like IE or APR with a BT setup?

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
How will this kit fair against a true Factory replacement like IE or APR with a BT setup?

How big of a turbo are we talking? If it's just IS38, these (Mabo or Gti Jake) will be totally fine, even if you're pushing stupid boost. I would do the stock replacement if you are going any bigger than that.

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
Well for that kit price it's going to be very similar to just going full replacement since I have an awesome hookup that will install it for 100 bucks

Shaggz

Passed Driver's Ed
How big of a turbo are we talking? If it's just IS38, these (Mabo or Gti Jake) will be totally fine, even if you're pushing stupid boost. I would do the stock replacement if you are going any bigger than that.

Not sure if your on the FB page but ive been going back and forth with the owner of IE and several cts/IE fan boys. No one has any proof the IE is better than a decent sized FMIC. They only have logs on IE vs neuspeed and thats a tiny core and it still kept up.

I wish we could lay IE's and Jake's side by side and see where it goes. Shit I may offer to drive down in august to IE and let them test it if they want lol. There is 0 evidence that shows FMIC vs Stock which is better.

Shaggz

Passed Driver's Ed
660 Cubic inches with jakes vs 928 cubic inches on IE. 1 has fresh air and is stand alone, 1 is sandwhiched between hot components and doesnt have direct air flow. The variables are just too great to say 100% one is better.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
660 Cubic inches with jakes vs 928 cubic inches on IE. 1 has fresh air and is stand alone, 1 is sandwhiched between hot components and doesnt have direct air flow. The variables are just too great to say 100% one is better.

EDIT: Wait a second, the I.E website says their intercooler is a FMIC.... do we have everything wrong? Nope... nope, it replaces the OE unit, the marketing just calls it a front mount intercooler. I guess they are technically right as it does mount in the front of the car, instead of the front...side of the car like some older intercoolers (and maybe new ones) which were SMIC (side mount intercoolers).

I thought the FDS system was the draw for the I.E intercooler. Also it mounts in the stock location which is better for some people. It's only sandwiched between hot components if the A/C is on, and that only has any effect when idling in traffic, when you aren't using boost. Then there is quality of welds and product support / warranty. Honestly its an apples to oranges comparison.

Jake's work is amazing and works amazingly well and is far cheaper. I.E works amazingly well, mounts in the stock location, but is expensive. So it really depends what you are going for.

As far as I know there are no charts showing that a FMIC on the MK7 has increased airflow over the stock position. Really not a lot of comparison has been done at all for the MK7. FMIC's look cool, but also haven't proved by charts that they are better then an equivalent stock location intercooler. Obviously by that same logic, and your own statements, an upgraded stock location intercooler hasn't shown that it is better then an equivalent FMIC.

Edit: Not an I.E fanboy. Bought the Dogbone mount from them and wow, what a POS. "Minimal NVH" my ass. I'll give them one more shot when I get their open intake (assuming I can even order it to CA, seems like companies are cracking down due to CA regulations), but if that goes poorly I will never buy from them again, just like me and hundreds of others gave APR a chance with their A4B5 silicone TIP and TBP only to be extremely let down (so I'll never buy another APR product).

Last edited:

16gtiguy

Ready to race!
I can add some logs later when I am at my laptop, but I went with the IE and am very happy I did. I see no increase in IAT during back to back to back pulls. I have tried to get them to go up and i couldn't get them much higher than ambeient. The IC thread has tons of logs to compare. Not sayin FMIC don't work as well but I know the IE works great on my IS38 GTI.