GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tomioka Turbo

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie
In case anyone isn't following the Tomioka thread in the GTI section I'll post this here.

First the car. It's a 2016 Golf R DSG. Has an Integrated Engineering intercooler, Integrated Engineering open intake, and a custom AFR Autoworks Inconel downpipe. Also a Racingline 90 degree elbow. Other than that the car is bone stock. Stock fuel, stock catback, and even has the original spark plugs.

Previously the car put down 330whp On the Dynomite Dyno at AFR Autoworks. At the time it was on an early non adjustable Eurodyne Stage 2 93 octane tune. About 3 months later it was dyno'd at Calgary Autoworks on their Dynocom and put down 360whp with no changes from the AFR dyno. This shows us that the AFR Dyno is nice and conservative.

We bolted on the Tomioka IHX475 turbo, flashed Eurodyne Maestro, then loaded the Maestro Stage 2 high torque base file. Took the car for a few pulls to make sure the wastegate adapted and strapped it to the AFR Autoworks dyno. It made 380whp with no changes to the base map.

Finally we started tuning and were able to achieve a peak of 415whp, but dialled it back to
410whp on 93 octane, we then added 116 race gas till we got a 105 octane mix. The car then was able to put down 450whp.

It started snowing here while we were on the dyno so we could not do a road test immediately after the dyno.

Tonight we were able to get it out on the road and do a couple logs. We see a couple small issues. I am going to be ordering new spark plugs this weekend a couple heat ranges colder than stock and see what happens.

I have a Dragy and will post some results once the roads are fully clear and I can get some real tires on. I will also be attending street legal 1/4 mile here when the track opens in a couple months. On the 330whp stage 2 tune I was able to achieve an 11.95 @ 115mph. That was with the rear seat removed. I have since purchased a lightweight battery and will be pulling the front passenger seat for at least one of the passes.
Any questions let me know.

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
DI cars like 'warmer' plugs so I would maybe only stick to one step colder plugs.

I tried two steps on a 440-ish whp build and carbon fouled them in like a week.

Remember that with DI the high pressure fuel delivery cools the combustion chamber a lot so conventional wisdom may not work here. I'd get a set of 1-step colder AND 2-step colder if I was 'worried'.

Also I see a lot of tunes take their time getting to the AFR they want to run. I know on some boosted DI cars, the stock tune runs 14:1 through the midrange and the last 1000 or so RPMs they get to the real "power enrichment" 12-ish:1

I've had better personal luck getting it to the AFR I want to run from the get go.

Are you WMI with the race gas too?

Wouldn't mind seeing a dyno sheet too, because with a "base" map putting down 380whp I bet it all comes on super smooth and isn't peaky at all. This turbo really really sounds like some good shit.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
DI cars like 'warmer' plugs so I would maybe only stick to one step colder plugs.

I tried two steps on a 440-ish whp build and carbon fouled them in like a week.

Remember that with DI the high pressure fuel delivery cools the combustion chamber a lot so conventional wisdom may not work here. I'd get a set of 1-step colder AND 2-step colder if I was 'worried'.

Also I see a lot of tunes take their time getting to the AFR they want to run. I know on some boosted DI cars, the stock tune runs 14:1 through the midrange and the last 1000 or so RPMs they get to the real "power enrichment" 12-ish:1

I've had better personal luck getting it to the AFR I want to run from the get go.

Are you WMI with the race gas too?

Wouldn't mind seeing a dyno sheet too, because with a "base" map putting down 380whp I bet it all comes on super smooth and isn't peaky at all. This turbo really really sounds like some good shit.

Doesn't the fuel temperature rise under pressure? I know it cools when the pressure is released but I don't think it's instantaneous.

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
Doesn't the fuel temperature rise under pressure? I know it cools when the pressure is released but I don't think it's instantaneous.

It doesn't rise higher than that of say, a combustion event and still has a greater cooling effect than say port injection and yes in most cases when you compress something it makes it hotter than what it started off as. The pressure and atomization of the delivery gives a more complete combustion chamber fill which has a greater cooling effect too.

Hence why DI engines typically running a higher compression ratio than MPI engines.

The other side of it is that the injection window is so much closer to the actual combustion event that it doesn't have time to pre-ignite and the air and fuel ends up way more homogeneous and leads to less hot spots in the combustion chamber.

The cooling effect happens so much that we literally spew unburnt fuel out the back. That's what the soot is that builds up on the back hatch lip.

IMO the only real drawback of DI is it makes revving real high an engineering nightmare, which is the easiest way to make more work done over time aka HP out of an air pump aka an engine, and because of PCV's recirculation you get intake valve coking. That's it IMO. Port injection has less 'things in the way' in terms of longevity and making big power but is less efficient.

BronxBomber

Ready to race!
It doesn't rise higher than that of say, a combustion event and still has a greater cooling effect than say port injection and yes in most cases when you compress something it makes it hotter than what it started off as. The pressure and atomization of the delivery gives a more complete combustion chamber fill which has a greater cooling effect too.

Hence why DI engines typically running a higher compression ratio than MPI engines.

The other side of it is that the injection window is so much closer to the actual combustion event that it doesn't have time to pre-ignite and the air and fuel ends up way more homogeneous and leads to less hot spots in the combustion chamber.

The cooling effect happens so much that we literally spew unburnt fuel out the back. That's what the soot is that builds up on the back hatch lip.

IMO the only real drawback of DI is it makes revving real high an engineering nightmare, which is the easiest way to make more work done over time aka HP out of an air pump aka an engine, and because of PCV's recirculation you get intake valve coking. That's it IMO. Port injection has less 'things in the way' in terms of longevity and making big power but is less efficient.

Very informative post. Thanks a lot

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie
I'll be adding port injection and a bigger fuel pump soonish as well.

iTsLiKeAnEgG

Ready to race!
I've been following the other thread so again, great results! I'm surprised you were able to safely dyno the upgraded turbo with the stage 2 tune! Did you get AFR readings for that run?

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie

Full weight DSG R, Pump gas tune turned down 1 notch on Eurodyne Maestro Adjustable tune on both boost and octane from dyno tune that made 415 whp. 1/2 tank of gas. Cheap chinese tires, 1.5 degrees celsius, 2800 ft above sea level.

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk