GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Underseat Drawer - removal and fitting DIY

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
I thought I'd see how difficult it was to remove the underseat drawers from my current GTD, as my newly ordered GTI it looks like will not come with them. Surprisingly it only takes about 10 minutes per side. I pulled the passenger side one off at the weekend and thought I'd take some quick shots in case some owners (without the drawers) want to retrofit them as I do.

Word to the wise, as it seems many of our US cousins have GTI's with the leather and electric seat package, I understand these will not fit underneath, as the seat electric motors interferes with them (at lease on the drivers side).

I managed to get the maintenance manual for the MK7 and it suggests in this that the entire side trim of the seat (with the backrest adjustment knob and seat height knob) needs to be removed, which is a bit of a faf, but as it turns out, you don't need to remove it completely.

So the steps I took to remove are as below (and refitting is obviously a reversal of this).

1. Raise the seat to it's maximum height and then remove the 4 spine head bolts holding the seat frame to the floor. DO NOT remove the seat or unplug anything, just when all the bolts are out, lie the seat backwards against the rear seat, which tips the underside area you will be working on upwards. There is more than enough cable to not stretch any or the harnesses.

2. Once underneath, there is a torx bolt at the very front end of the side plastic trim (just where it curves in right in the corner on the inside edge and quite deeply recessed). This bolt holds the front of the side trim onto what VW calls the "retaining bracket". If the outer side trim was removed, this is a black painted bar that sort of has the cross section profile of the seat squab, and is attached to the seat via 4 torx bolts. One of these bolts, is the one you remove at the front. With this bolt removed, there is plenty of flex in the trim to pull it outwards.

3. Open the drawer as far as it will go and behind the now extended drawer you will see a round hole cut in the plastic into which is a torx screw (deeply recessed). It's the right of the two red circles indicated below (obviously this is the drawer viewed from above once removed).

4. Then remove the second torx bolt which is easy to get to and holds the drawer bracket to the underseat frame (the left red circle above).

5. With the 3 bolts now removed, you will notice the drawer can wiggle but won't come out. That's because there's a plastic clamp that goes around the retaining bracket mentioned in step 1 above. It's highlighted as the blue circle above and below. Carefully, pull out the plastic seat side trim from the front, and this will give you access to also pull the retaining bracket out slightly (as you removed it's front bolt in step 2 above). Then using just your fingers, simply ease the plastic clamp of the seat drawer assembly up and over and away from the retaining bar (you will see what I mean when doing it yourself - it's really not hard at all).

6. With the clamp undone, the drawer will drop at the front. It's now only held in place via the two slotted brackets at the back of the seat (marked with green circles on all pictures), and you just need to carefully slide the whole drawer frame forward and release these brackets from their slots in the seat under frame (really easy it just slides out).

On the next photo you can see one of the slots that the brackets on the drawer frame slide into (green circle), and the area on the "retaining bracket" where the frame clamp attaches to it (blue circle)

That's pretty much it. Hope this helps. In total tool about 30 minutes (as I didn't know what i was doing), but second time on the drivers side took about 10 minutes.

Finally, here's some before and afters without and with the drawer (I think you will all agree that the drawer finishes that area off).

nonegiven

Go Kart Newbie
Good pics. The electric leather seats have the underseat drawer on the driver's side, not the passenger side. At least that's how it has always been with the MK7 SE.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I show how to remove the underseat drawers in my "how to retro fit the fire extinguisher" guide...which I did 3yrs ago....

nonegiven

Go Kart Newbie
I show how to remove the underseat drawers in my "how to retro fit the fire extinguisher" guide...which I did 3yrs ago....

Most want to see how to add the passenger seat drawer with part numbers for the US market. I'll have to look under my seat and see if there's room.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Most want to see how to add the passenger seat drawer with part numbers for the US market. I'll have to look under my seat and see if there's room.

I posted recently about this. The Bluetooth module is under the US passenger seat, and obstructs placement of the drawer. I already sourced all the drawer parts needed, but to install the drawer will be a matter of re-positioning the bluetooth module.

nonegiven

Go Kart Newbie
I posted recently about this. The Bluetooth module is under the US passenger seat, and obstructs placement of the drawer. I already sourced all the drawer parts needed, but to install the drawer will be a matter of re-positioning the bluetooth module.

Thanks for the info. Certainly prefer having Bluetooth over having a second drawer.

WhiteTDI

Passed Driver's Ed

did you ever reposition the bluetooth module and install the passenger drawer. i also bought all the necessary parts but have yet to install it, as i too have bluetooth.

sportwagen3

Passed Driver's Ed
just like the person above asked before, did you ever figure out a way to reposition to be able to have both the Bluetooth module and tray?

Genebaby

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 Golf GTI
I just did this on my 2020 Australian delivered GTI with leather and electric drivers seat. It looks at the moment that mine won't fit under the driver, but will on the passenger side, so I did that one on the weekend.

Because I had not had the drawers from factory I also needed a part for the drawer nuts to thread into, which clips on. It's just the same arrangement as the torx bolt you remove to loosen the trim next to the drawer.

I noticed this when I found an exploded view of a seat and saw this extra part. So luckily I had that on hand when I started. I had to buy a spline set, but it will add to all the new tools I have been buying.

Attachments

• Seat drawer 1.jpg
    Seat drawer 1.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 1,236
  • Seat drawer 2.jpg
    Seat drawer 2.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 355

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I asked ECS about this and they said it would fit a U.S.A. MK7.5 Golf GTI. Does anyone know what the seat bolt torque should be upon reassembly?

40Nm is what ERWIN states for Mk7....I doubt its any different for Mk7.5

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
40Nm is what ERWIN states for Mk7....I doubt its any different for Mk7.5

Thanks golfdave -- just what I needed. (y) I didn't want to risk trouble. Now I can use my torque wrench and be confident that things are right. Hopefully I'll be able to get them out without trouble.

Last edited: