GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 FORMULA 1 SEASON

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
It will be interesting to see how ESPN will handle the coverage now that they are broadcasting it this season.

They are simply picking up the F1 world feed. No David Hobbs, Leigh Diffey and Steve Matchett in the studio or Will Buxton on track.

It sounds like it's going to suck, honestly. Quote from Hobbs:

"It's a bit galling that my last show is not me retiring, but me being retired," he added. "If ESPN or anybody had come along and outbid NBC in a rights war, and we were pushed out by a clearly superior team and deal, that would be one thing. You could say, 'OK, I guess the best guy's won.' But the deal they've got is horrible.

"They're not paying any rights fees, they aren't having any studio shows so there aren't any production costs. It's meant to be a generic [broadcast] team from across the ocean. That is irritating, that we're being ousted by what will be an inferior show. To be pushed out by a pathetic deal, including for the viewer, is sad."

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
I watched the first Indy race of the season on the ESPN app on my AppleTV (no cable for me) and there were soooooo many commercials during the race.
Does not give me much hope for how they will broadcast F1...

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
They are simply picking up the F1 world feed. No David Hobbs, Leigh Diffey and Steve Matchett in the studio or Will Buxton on track.

"It's a bit galling that my last show is not me retiring, but me being retired," he added. "If ESPN or anybody had come along and outbid NBC in a rights war, and we were pushed out by a clearly superior team and deal, that would be one thing. You could say, 'OK, I guess the best guy's won.' But the deal they've got is horrible.

"They're not paying any rights fees, they aren't having any studio shows so there aren't any production costs. It's meant to be a generic [broadcast] team from across the ocean. That is irritating, that we're being ousted by what will be an inferior show. To be pushed out by a pathetic deal, including for the viewer, is sad."
Fuck em. Im not gonna watch. IM gonna buy that new F1 tv app service they were toting.

I don't have cable so the TV rights I guess doesn't apply to me still stupid tho

Mike-E

Go Kart Newbie

Hobbs is making the case for ESPN. How many time did he and his crew screw up which car they were talking about: (Fernando spins) Hobbs says "Montoya just spun out". Then there was a stream of meaningless chatter. Just shut up and show me the race.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Hobbs is making the case for ESPN. How many time did he and his crew screw up which car they were talking about: (Fernando spins) Hobbs says "Montoya just spun out". Then there was a stream of meaningless chatter. Just shut up and show me the race.

I don’t think that makes the case for ESPN at all. I loved the pre-race, race, and post-race coverage on NBCSN. Those guys brought a lot of character and humor to the production. So Hobbs called Alonso Juan Pablo once. BFD. I will say this, as a follower of many motorsports: F1 cars are hard to quickly ID. The numbers are tiny and there are two identical color scheme cars for each of the ten teams. If the two drivers’ helmets are not polar opposites (like LH white and Nico/Valteri black, good luck calling the driver without a zoom shot.

I’ll reserve final judgement on ESPN until I actually see their production of the Australia GP weekend.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Yeah despite all the commercials I was actually pretty happy with the NBC coverage.
I was looking at the dedicated F1 option they are selling and I'm not so sure I would buy it.

Only if ESPN does not show replays, would I buy it. I'm never watching the races live.

95gto

Go Kart Newbie
I think the loss of the NBCSN coverage team is a big deal. Hopefully like Top Gear, even if you might have preferred the old guard more the new guys will still be good.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Good to see Germany back on the schedule.

Looks like the theme is P1 and P2 will be online only, P3 on ESPN News, Q on the Deuce, and races on the Deuce, ESPN, or ABC based on typical ratings.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Not sure but you may be able to pick up ESPN3 on the ESPN app for the Apple TV (or the others).
I feel like I have seen something on ESPN3 through the app.

I don't have cable.