GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replica alloys

Isaac

Passed Driver's Ed
Guys if you have got a moment what are your thoughts on replica alloys look the part but considerably cheaper like a change once in a while. But just worried with all these cracks and crunches. If you hit a pothole or Kirb. It’s pretty much game over. I would have got it done but I share the car with wifey so in the back of my mind I’m always playing it safe.

Mikeyd1

Ready to race!
Try and get good used. The after market ones would only be ok if avoid pot holed humps and kerbs. The thing is replica alloys would roughly be 400 without tyres so say 600 with budget tyres.for 600-700 u will get a good used set with proberly better tyres as a example I got a mint set of gti Austin's which only did a thousand miles with more or less brand-new bridgestone for 650 and I used them for 5000 miles and sold them for 675. So they are out there

prp74

Passed Driver's Ed
As above, I would avoid replica alloys and buy genuine ones. Just look out for a bargain set for sale.

afropelican

Passed Driver's Ed
Agreed with the above, second hand alloys with tyres on them... or added to that maybe even consider refurbed alloys.

Costwise, with the UK roads its more than likely you'll hit a pothole and then at that point you will need a new rep alloy rather than just the tyre!

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Guys if you have got a moment what are your thoughts on replica alloys look the part but considerably cheaper like a change once in a while. But just worried with all these cracks and crunches. If you hit a pothole or Kirb. It’s pretty much game over. I would have got it done but I share the car with wifey so in the back of my mind I’m always playing it safe.

Buy cheap and buy twice.............If they’re considerably cheaper then ask yourself why.

As others have said, better to buy used OEM if you’re on a limited budget and can’t stretch to new OEM wheels. If you do buy used, always ask if they’ve been refurbished or had any repairs to remove buckling or cracks in the alloy (I would avoid wheels that have been welded or had buckling removed).

If you’re considering diamond cut alloy wheels (I personally wouldn’t, because of the fragility of the diamond cut lacquered finish, which isn’t really suited to UK winters), then bear in mind that as the refurbishment process for these wheels involves removing a layer of alloy from the wheel on a diamond cutting lathe, they can’t be refurbished more than twice, otherwise the structural integrity could be compromised.

Also, I’d recommend that you only consider wheels from a manufacturer whose wheels are TUV or JWL certified, which is a good indication of a high quality wheel that’s been subjected to extensive stringent quality testing.