GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ATF Change @50K?

eaglekeeper

Passed Driver's Ed
I had wifes Passat in for dealerships complimentery oil change and serv mgr worked with me on getting 50K mile trans fluid changed. Normal rate was $330 and after military disc and service coupon I paid $265. Fluid was $158 so 2hr job cost me $107 in labor which didn't seem like a fleecing. If in 50K miles I find a non-dealer to do maint, can I find comparable quality fluid any cheaper than that?

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I had wifes Passat in for dealerships complimentery oil change and serv mgr worked with me on getting 50K mile trans fluid changed. Normal rate was $330 and after military disc and service coupon I paid $265. Fluid was $158 so 2hr job cost me $107 in labor which didn't seem like a fleecing. If in 50K miles I find a non-dealer to do maint, can I find comparable quality fluid any cheaper than that?

I'm sure you can find better fluid for less cost.

There's a whole lot of groupthink in the VW world surrounding fluids. If the fluid you're using meets OE spec, it's more than sufficient.

I paid about $100 for 6 quarts of Amsoil DSG fluid, OE is $160ish and probably lower quality.

eaglekeeper

Passed Driver's Ed
Is the same holding true for engine oil? I've been paying $6.55/qt for Castrol Edge from dealer following the 502 requirement. Is there something comparable as well. I just haven't spent the time searching knowing that full syn is notoriously high.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Go to ECS TUNING they have oil service kits of all different prices/quality that meet 502/505 spec and include an OEM filter and drain plug

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
Is the same holding true for engine oil? I've been paying $6.55/qt for Castrol Edge from dealer following the 502 requirement. Is there something comparable as well. I just haven't spent the time searching knowing that full syn is notoriously high.

Pennzoil 0w-40 Euro is $23/5qts, the 1qt bottles are about $7-8.

23 + 7 + 12 = $42 oil change all told.

eaglekeeper

Passed Driver's Ed
Those are some good options, thx. One more thing; my Golf is vehicle 4 and gets driven maybe once a week for 5K/yr. Would there be any oil breakdown by changing the full syn every 2yrs at the 10K interval? It seems like a while to wait but if the syn oil being of supreme quality can stand up to time, if it doesn't need changing, why do it? If it's even questionable, I'll do it at 5K annually...

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Guess I f’ed up. I have the non DSG auto 6 speed 2017 1.8 and at 69k with no ATF fluid change. How hard is this to do? I don’t have a lift but I do have jack stands. Lol

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
DAP has a guide on a manual transmission fluid flush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyQVDtl6UWo

Can't really comment on how hard it is to do they flush however, seeing as the only time I've done it on a mq250 was when it was out of the car.

jonatj

Passed Driver's Ed
Did you get your non-DSG auto done?

Guess I f’ed up. I have the non DSG auto 6 speed 2017 1.8 and at 69k with no ATF fluid change. How hard is this to do? I don’t have a lift but I do have jack stands. Lol

I did research and looks like the non-dsg Aisin 09G is cumbersome. Can’t use the top fill technique the GTI guys do. I’m about ready to take it into the dealership to do it.

Did you end up doing it yourself? What technique did you use and what ATF? VW OEM fluid is $25 which hurts. But the dealership won’t use anything else, like Amsoil or LiquiMoly.