GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New 2018's Are Coming!

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Reasons for wanting a GTI over R:
-Lighter, more fuel efficient
-Slightly better looking imo
-Has some features the R doesn't (sunroof, fog lights)
-R is delayed longer and might have price markup
-Wanting dark iron blue
-Not caring about AWD or slightly more horsepower

I test drove a 17 GTI and R and didn't notice a significant difference. I'm not a hardcore enthusiast like most of you all, though.

Fair enough. Good perspective.

I’d just hate to see you regret not paying another $5k for AWD. It’s a game changer for enthusiastic driving.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Fair enough. Good perspective.

I’d just hate to see you regret not paying another $5k for AWD. It’s a game changer for enthusiastic driving.

It really depends. If you're not going for huge power, I'd rather have the nimbleness of the lighter GTI, especially since it has an LSD now on the higher trims. If you don't live in a mountainous area with tons of snow, snow tires do just fine with FWD. Sure, you'll have wheel spin in snow and rain, but unless it's raining more than half the year, again, not a huge deal lol.

Plus as mentioned, does the base R have the Fender and everything else the Autobahn GTI has? If it does, then yeah it's only $4-5k more. If not, it's probably more like $7-8k more.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Probably more like 10k+ lol

You're in Ashburn. No reason to spend more than MSRP for an R unless you must be the first on your block to have an 18. Lindsay and some of the others around these parts will be discounting them a few months after the newness of the 18s wears off. They've discounted R's $3K under MSRP frequently the past two years. They had 22 R's on their lot at one point last January.

The R is a very nice car, but it's not a collector's item.

As far as an Autobahn GTI goes, you should be shooting for at least $5k off in the DC area.

wantone

Ready to race!
If the sales guy is serious about the deal, he would be willing to send it over in an email officially. I would never step into a dealership without a written quote.

I was inside Sheehy VW and they refused to give me a written quote except for a price handwritten on a yellow sticky. Making it obviously not an official price quote at all. Quite intentional on their part to squash me using it against them.

Not all dealers will give exact email quotes unfortunately.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I was inside Sheehy VW and they refused to give me a written quote except for a price handwritten on a yellow sticky. Making it obviously not an official price quote at all. Quite intentional on their part to squash me using it against them.

Not all dealers will give exact email quotes unfortunately.

I got my GTI in 16 summer and i spoke to each and everyone of those DC dealers. I am sharing all this based on my personal experience. Any dealer is not going to give their official quote in the first phone call and we all know what will happen in that scenario. It will be given only after all negotiations are done.