GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front Wing Foam Pads Wet!!

Jamie93

Passed Driver's Ed
Afternoon All,

Not sure if this is something to worry about but noticed today that the foam pads inside the front wings (visible when the front door is opened) are wet on both sides (see attached photos)!! Are these wet on anyone elses car and more to the point, should they be dry? Will these being wet not result in corrosion of the metal underneath? Should I be worried and push VW to have them replaced? Could someone take a look at their cars? Thanks

Attachments

• 20170415_1654381.jpg
    20170415_1654381.jpg
    824 KB · Views: 1,231
  • 20170415_1654491.jpg
    20170415_1654491.jpg
    661.2 KB · Views: 821

gamille

Passed Driver's Ed
Judging by a lot of past cars when washing, I would expect this. I'm not saying that VW isn't different here (and someone may smack my pee pee), but if you ever look when your drying your car off after a wash, it is not uncommon to find water on both sides of certain door and panel trim seals. The metal is coated around the trim, so I just make sure that the dirt/debris is cleaned when washing my cars.

Again, this is just me, but I wouldn't worry about it unless the water is making it's way to electronic or interior space and paint isn't gone or damaged.

Unless I'm looking at the photo incorrectly this looks like a piece at the back of the front fender. This area absolutely will pick up water in certain conditions and needs a place to drain. I would consider that before you pushed to seal it up.

Jamie93

Passed Driver's Ed
I was thinking more along the lines of it causing corrosion on the sill if they remain wet, like the issue with the mk5 wheel arches. I have seen a few things on the web about a couple of other cases of these being wet, but wanted to know if many on here had theirs wet, or whether they are because of damage during installation at factory? Thanks for replies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I was thinking more along the lines of it causing corrosion on the sill if they remain wet, like the issue with the mk5 wheel arches. I have seen a few things on the web about a couple of other cases of these being wet, but wanted to know if many on here had theirs wet, or whether they are because of damage during installation at factory? Thanks for replies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not sure how they would always remain dry. Located right at a panel seam if I am thinking of the correct item. Agree wet foam might aid rust but these should dry quickly as they are vertical and should drain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lucyfek

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI & GSW
I believe this is closed cell foam (?) that does not soak up water (it will drain on surface) so it's not likely to result in corrosion (especially in the location that's fully painted over and not exposed to road debris, heat etc).

Jamie93

Passed Driver's Ed
I believe this is closed cell foam (?) that does not soak up water (it will drain on surface) so it's not likely to result in corrosion (especially in the location that's fully painted over and not exposed to road debris, heat etc).

I was under that impression too, however, when you squeeze the foam by pressing it with your finger, it looks as though it is saturated with water? I know that the area is fully painted, however, dust and grit can get down there and I don't see that this can be good for the paint underneath? Could someone else have a look and see if theirs are wet too?

Many thanks,

lucyfek

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI & GSW
I was under that impression too, however, when you squeeze the foam by pressing it with your finger, it looks as though it is saturated with water? I know that the area is fully painted, however, dust and grit can get down there and I don't see that this can be good for the paint underneath? Could someone else have a look and see if theirs are wet too?

Many thanks,
I washed mine Wednesday evening and yesterday afternoon it still had droplets of water on the door seal (car was garaged). I could not feel any moisture when I just checked (it's been dry out here) but there's some dirt collecting under the bottom of pads (so washing it out periodically could help prevent the buildup).