GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Michelin Pilot Super Sport Alternatives

myles1

Ready to race!
I’d go to a recommended local tire shop..

I’m in process of getting a set of Firestone Indy 500 and found after delivery, tax and duties it was more than my local shop plus delivery date from TR was 1 month. Along with all of this a local shop should be able to tell you if you will have any issues with sizing and if any do arise they should make it right, win win, good price with piece of mind and support local business!!

True. I should check this out. Time to find a good local shop. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Bridgestone RE980.
New all season ultra high performance tire.
Rating 500 AA. A.

I have used over winter and I find them the second best tire I have had next to summer Bridgestone RE-11’s.

Sandman GTI MK7 PP DCC Lighting Pkg - The Journey begins!
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...m/forums/showthread.php?p=527398&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Think that would fit 18x8.5 without rubbing? I’m also in Canada, wonder if the same deal applies...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

et45 or higher you should be fine, even lowered. Will def have to do the fender screw.

figgy1

Ready to race!
et45 or higher you should be fine, even lowered. Will def have to do the fender screw.

As we are on the subject wondering if somebody could tell me if I would get rubbing if I put 235/40 on my 19” Pretoria’s ? I’m lowered on Eibach Prokits 35mm. Done the fender screw mod already as I previously had VWR and had rubbing on the fronts. Reason I want 40’s instead of 35’s is to try get a little more comfort on pot hole filled Irish roads :( Was thinking of MPS4’s Thanks in advance all

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
Bridgestone RE980.
New all season ultra high performance tire.
Rating 500 AA. A.

I have used over winter and I find them the second best tire I have had next to summer Bridgestone RE-11’s.

Sandman GTI MK7 PP DCC Lighting Pkg - The Journey begins!
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...m/forums/showthread.php?p=527398&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

These are the OEM tires for the 2016s that come without the summer tire option.

They are supreme hot trash.

If they are the best tire you've used other than RE-11's you don't get out much.

OP:

The tire size reads like this:

245/35/18

245, is section width in millimeters(how wide the tire is)
So it's 24.5 cm

the SECOND number, is the measure of sidewall. It's a PROFILE ratio. That number is the height of the PROFILE(sidewall). It is obtained by turning that number into a percent and multiplying the SECTION WIDTH(first number).

So in this case it is 0.35 multiplied by 245 equals 85.75 mm.

Last number is literally what size wheel should it be mounted on. In this example it is 18 inches.

As for tire suggestions, it's all about what you're looking for in a tire. I have a set of MPSS's and personally kinda fucking hate them. All the drawbacks of an extreme performance tire(RE-71R, StarSpec ZII) without the performance. If I am going to be cucked into having to wait for a tire to warm up to do something, I better be blown away by performance, and it's plain not there.

I also have expectations. I thought these would just a small step down from the "almost R-comps" and figured I'd get a slightly more "easier to live with" tire for a trade-off in ultimate traction and with the way the fanboys uncontrollably orgasm audibly 'MICHELIN PILOT POWER SSSSSSSUPERSPORTTTTTSSSSSS' every time someone asks about tire suggestions I figured I'd give them a try. Should have stuck with my gut.

You want what most people want I take it? A tire that lasts a long time and isn't super expensive. The wife has a set of Continental ExtremeContactSports for her summer wheels and they're pretty alright IMO. She drives roughly twice as much as I do(plus I split duties between my GTI and my suck10) and they're holding up real well. They're very comparable to the jizzinducing MPSSs that everyone acts like is a gift from the tiregods to man and cheaper. Other bonus that no one typically pays attention to is Continental makes really low weight tires which is a bonus here.

As for size?

If you went out to get a 8.5" wide wheel why would you fist yourself in the anus by getting 235s?

245/40 won't rub unless you're slammed with out the fender screw mod, and my 245/35s(which is a hard as fuck size to find btw) definitely don't rub at all.

For width 225s are good for 7.5" wheels
235s=8"
245=8.5"

And before everyone says "BUT STEDDYBRO U R WRONG BRO, MY BRO, BROSEPH HAS 245s ON HIS ULTRALEGGERAS AND THEY FIT FINE BRO."

They fit, but they're actually ballooned on there and creating a smaller contact patch. So your bro paid more money for more tire that he's not using. That's smart.

If anything, A size "too" small is better than a size "too" big on a wheel.

That's known as stretching.

Anything more than that and you're gonna have a bad time. Driving on your sidewalls is bad. If you want to know what happens, go deflate your tires to like 15 psi and drive around for an hour at highway speeds and see what happens.(Don't do this, you'll ruin your tires and possibly catch a horrible case of the 'deads'. Real bad disease where you become 'unalive'.)

Tires are the only performance item that can shave literal seconds off a lap time with them being the only change. Hell go to a drag strip and watch what cars trapping 110 MPH with grip are getting on their ETs when they put down 1.5s 60' times with traction. That's tires.

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R

If they are the best tire you've used other than RE-11's you don't get out much.

OP:

245/35/18

So it's 24.5 cm

the SECOND number, is the measure of sidewall. It's a PROFILE ratio. That number is the height of the PROFILE(sidewall). It is obtained by turning that number into a percent and multiplying the SECTION WIDTH(first number).

Last number is literally what size wheel should it be mounted on. In this example it is 18 inches.

As for tire suggestions, it's all about what you're looking for in a tire. I have a set of MPSS's and personally kinda fucking hate them. All the drawbacks of an extreme performance tire(RE-71R, StarSpec ZII) without the performance. If I am going to be cucked into having to wait for a tire to warm up to do something, I better be blown away by performance, and it's plain not there.

I also have expectations. I thought these would just a small step down from the "almost R-comps" and figured I'd get a slightly more "easier to live with" tire for a trade-off in ultimate traction and with the way the fanboys uncontrollably orgasm audibly 'MICHELIN PILOT POWER SSSSSSSUPERSPORTTTTTSSSSSS' every time someone asks about tire suggestions I figured I'd give them a try. Should have stuck with my gut.

You want what most people want I take it? A tire that lasts a long time and isn't super expensive. The wife has a set of Continental ExtremeContactSports for her summer wheels and they're pretty alright IMO. She drives roughly twice as much as I do(plus I split duties between my GTI and my suck10) and they're holding up real well. They're very comparable to the jizzinducing MPSSs that everyone acts like is a gift from the tiregods to man and cheaper. Other bonus that no one typically pays attention to is Continental makes really low weight tires which is a bonus here.

As for size?

If you went out to get a 8.5" wide wheel why would you fist yourself in the anus by getting 235s?

245/40 won't rub unless you're slammed with out the fender screw mod, and my 245/35s(which is a hard as fuck size to find btw) definitely don't rub at all.

235s=8"
245=8.5"

And before everyone says "BUT STEDDYBRO U R WRONG BRO, MY BRO, BROSEPH HAS 245s ON HIS ULTRALEGGERAS AND THEY FIT FINE BRO."

They fit, but they're actually ballooned on there and creating a smaller contact patch. So your bro paid more money for more tire that he's not using. That's smart.

Anything more than that and you're gonna have a bad time. Driving on your sidewalls is bad. If you want to know what happens, go deflate your tires to like 15 psi and drive around for an hour at highway speeds and see what happens.(Don't do this, you'll ruin your tires and possibly catch a horrible case of the 'deads'. Real bad disease where you become 'unalive'.)

Tires are the only performance item that can shave literal seconds off a lap time with them being the only change. Hell go to a drag strip and watch what cars trapping 110 MPH with grip are getting on their ETs when they put down 1.5s 60' times with traction. That's tires.

you work for conti?

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie

No one is professing MPSS’s as the ultimate standard for grip.

Both the RE-71R and StarSpecs def grip better, in the dry.

However the MPSS and the Conti ExtremeContact Sports are great do everything tires.

The RE-71R and StarSpecs will def have a firmer ride, not have great wet grip, wear faster and will be noisier than the do everything well tires from Michelin or Continental.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie

OP:

245/35/18

So it's 24.5 cm

As for size?

235s=8"
245=8.5"

I will question your comment that RE980 came on 2016 cars.
This tire only came on market in Fall 2017.
Are you thinking RE97 or RE970?

Don’t get out much.
No I do not. I only run Bridgestone as I will not run a competitors tire.
Plus with employee discount hard not to buy them.
I doubt many tires are much better than the RE-11.
It is an older design but known for good wear.
I know the RE-71 is better but as a DD I think one would not notice.
Also not the best in rain, so tough to use as a DD.
To utilize a tire at the top end one would have to track a lot.

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
I will question your comment that RE980 came on 2016 cars.
This tire only came on market in Fall 2017.
Are you thinking RE97 or RE970?
I'm wrong about what I said. The OEM Bridgestone all-seasons that came on my car are quiet, and will last for ever if I don't purposely try to kill them and do pretty OK in the snow. As a performance tire the are bad
Don’t get out much.
No I do not. I only run Bridgestone as I will not run a competitors tire.
Plus with employee discount hard not to buy them.
I doubt many tire are much better than the RE-11. I know the RE-71 is but as a DD I think one would not notice.
To utilize a tire at the top end one would have to track a lot.

As for your last bit there, if I could get RE71s at a discount I'd run the hell out of them lol. Also I am more of the the 'have it and not need it most of the time' kind of person when it comes to performance and don't mind losing some civilty.

As for the MPSS in the rain compared to say the old StarSpecs I would argue you on that one. Like I said earlier, I think for the overall drawbacks the MPSS has going for it you might as well get any extreme performance tire UNLESS you're looking for mileage. MPSS will last longer, but they aren't quiet, have to warm up, and aren't all that great in the rain.

I hate being corner speed limited by a tire. I get straight line low speed traction is bad and will be bad no matter what because it's a FWD layout, but running out of tire mid corner is so...sigh inducing...when for a couple of more bucks I could have had RE71s and been Bridgestone's biggest fan lol

myles1

Ready to race!

OP:

245/35/18

So it's 24.5 cm

As for size?

235s=8"
245=8.5"

Thanks for all the info! It seems like the Continental's are the way to go, as well as with 245's.

myles1

Ready to race!
Just got a quote for the Continental ExtremeContact Sport from a local shop.... $254/wheel, after tax it comes to $1237 all in. Way more than I wanted to spend. I'll try shopping around, but perhaps this is just reality when you live up north.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Thanks for all the info! It seems like the Continental's are the way to go, as well as with 245's.

245/40-18 PSS are on Tirerack for cheaper than the Contis.

Just got a quote for the Continental ExtremeContact Sport from a local shop.... $254/wheel, after tax it comes to $1237 all in. Way more than I wanted to spend. I'll try shopping around, but perhaps this is just reality when you live up north.

Order through Tirerack and bring them in to an installer.