GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

things to look out for for collision repair

Marv_gti_mk7_pp

Passed Driver's Ed
I had similar damage , check out one of my topics caused by a lorry on the m6

I refused to use the company my insurance company wanted to use and went with one who was VW approved .

I had to pay £200 extra on my excess to use my own repairer but claimed this back from the third party .

I would insist on a new door and new wheel and tyre and as others have said those quarter panel dents will be pulled out no problem !

That’s what happened to mine and you would have no idea at all !!!

Sorry to hear about this but once all sorted you will never know .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Also feel the OP's pain. Agree with above posts. All the damage looks well fixable, my only concern would be how big a hit the wheel took, like it could affect it, the mountings & support components and also chassis (forget the Yank term but main car body & frame structure) underneath. Get advice, not from insurers, on good body shops and don't accept the car's return or sign a thing until 100% happy with it. Good luck....

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Nooooooooooooooooo.

Never, ever use a body shop recommended by any insurance company. Their main goal is to reduce costs.

Here is my advice. Check with your local Porsche club and ask for recommendations. Find the shop with the best reviews. Look for a shop that deals in high end cars where the owners will be enthusiasts and owners - rather than leasing.

Insist on new parts. A good shop will know how to deal with the insurance company.

You will be entitled to a rental car even if you don't have that on your policy.

You should (depending on state) also be entitled to diminished value as a repaired car isn't worth as much as an undamaged one - regardless of the quality of the repair.

The repair shop should be clean and neat. While there will be cars around in various states of disassembly and awaiting parts, the place shouldn't look like a junkyard.

You should discuss your concerns and be fully satisfied with the answers. Don't be afraid to ask "foolish" questions. Reiterate that you expect the cat to be returned like new.

You'll need an alignment at the very least.

If you have any new squeaks or rattles, mention them at the shop,

Good luck and keep us posted. Feel free to come back and ask questions alnog the way

Read again. I said ask YOUR insurance company not the other guy's. The other guy is paying.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Nooooooooooooooooo.

Never, ever use a body shop recommended by any insurance company. Their main goal is to reduce costs.

Here is my advice. Check with your local Porsche club and ask for recommendations. Find the shop with the best reviews. Look for a shop that deals in high end cars where the owners will be enthusiasts and owners - rather than leasing.

Insist on new parts. A good shop will know how to deal with the insurance company.

You will be entitled to a rental car even if you don't have that on your policy.

You should (depending on state) also be entitled to diminished value as a repaired car isn't worth as much as an undamaged one - regardless of the quality of the repair.

The repair shop should be clean and neat. While there will be cars around in various states of disassembly and awaiting parts, the place shouldn't look like a junkyard.

You should discuss your concerns and be fully satisfied with the answers. Don't be afraid to ask "foolish" questions. Reiterate that you expect the cat to be returned like new.

Good luck and keep us posted. Feel free to come back and ask questions alnog the way

Insurance companies are not obligated to use new parts. Read your policy.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Nooooooooooooooooo.

I said ask his insurance company not the other guys. Tell me why my insurance company cares how much it costs another company?

Insurance companies are not obligated to use new parts. Read your policy. A "good" shop knows how to do it? How's that work? Does the shop pay off the adjuster? With whose money, his or yours?

cb1111

I said ask his insurance company not the other guys. Tell me why my insurance company cares how much it costs another company?

Insurance companies are not obligated to use new parts. Read your policy. A "good" shop knows how to do it? How's that work? Does the shop pay off the adjuster? With whose money, his or yours?
It doesn't make any difference which. Your insurance company is as interested in keeping costs down as much as the other guy's insurance company. If you believe that they don't have reciprocal agreements, then I have a lovely bridge for sale.

That aside, did you read what I wrote about how body shops that work for insurance companies will charge only what the appraiser wrote up?

Actually, my policy mandates OE parts for the first three years but any decent body shop will be unable to source aftermarket parts in a timely fashion making OE parts the only alternative.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
I think folks might be being a bit to general here. A better rule might be never to accept a body shop you aren't comfortable with or in which you have no confidence. Sometimes the insurance company's picks are fine, it depends on your area and the insurance company. You just have to be aware and not settle for anything you don't feel is in your best interests, to the extent you can negotiate it.

cb1111

I think folks might be being a bit to general here. A better rule might be never to accept a body shop you aren't comfortable with or in which you have no confidence. Sometimes the insurance company's picks are fine, it depends on your area and the insurance company. You just have to be aware and not settle for anything you don't feel is in your best interests, to the extent you can negotiate it.
Of course. Since the accident wasn't the OP's fault, he can certainly be more insistent.

Quite frankly, it is immaterial what his policy says. The insurance company's obligation is to put the car back to the condition it was in prior the accident.

If your policy says "used or aftermarket" then that applies when you are at fault - not when there is another identified and insured party.