GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Yamahas, Festivas, Avantis and XKEs—3 Years with my R

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Plenty of sport bike riders here. We call them organ donors. :) Just in my small area one bites the dust every week. I had a Suzuki X6. The dual carbs were very temperamental. Sold it after I almost wiped out the second time. Figured the third wouldn't be almost. I rode it once in the winter, it was just below freezing. No sissy farings, heated clothing, Thinsulate then. I had to stop every 10 minutes to warm up.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Pics of the bike?

Here are my two current bikes: a Suzuki Bandit with a full-race GSX-R 750 motor street fighter, and a FJR 1300 Sport-Tourer. The Bandit is about 10% stock, whereas the FJR has "only" been dyno-tuned and had Dale Walker 4 into 2 straight headers and 2 Brothers CF cans done to the engine, custom Wilburs shock and springs, Galfer wave rotors (not pictured) done to the chassis, and custom designed canted Rifle fairing and Corbin saddle. The Bandit only comes out occasionally when I want to get real crazy, and the FJR is my daily ride, even through the winter.

Attachments

• Bandit.jpg
    Bandit.jpg
    563.5 KB · Views: 188
  • FJR.jpg
    FJR.jpg
    594.9 KB · Views: 174
Before I had kids, I rode year round here in Baltimore. I had two bikes, Triumph Tiger 1050, same motor as a speed triple. Tuned, 130 HP, super comfy. And a Triumph bobber.

I just sold the Tiger and I'm about to sell speedy. I haven't ridden at all since my second son was born, and he just turned 4!

That's why I bought my R. Wanted something fun that holds the utes.

FJR is a sweet bike.

Aren't bandits 1200s? Is the 750 motor more powerful?

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Aren't bandits 1200s? Is the 750 motor more powerful?

My Bandit started out as a 600, but yes, they did make a 1200 as well. That hot-rodded 750 motor from a GSX-R is putting out about 25 HP more than the Bandit 1200, but significantly less torque. I have it geared pretty low as at 150 I'm doing 13,000; that gearing gives me lots of rear wheel torque and still serious top end pull. I'm not into hitting my own little land speed records on I-95. Just don't ask me about the gas mileage.

elwood1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2024 GTI SE DSG
Small world: I grew up in Morton Grove and my Mom now lives in Northbrook.

Small world indeed. My daughter and her family live in Northbrook, and I live in Highland Park.

I never had a sport bike, but I have owned this since 1974.

Attachments

• TR6 Fall 2016.jpg
    TR6 Fall 2016.jpg
    833.1 KB · Views: 155

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Small world indeed. My daughter and her family live in Northbrook, and I live in Highland Park.

I never had a sport bike, but I have owned this since 1974.

LOL, I got my first car in 1973: a rusted out Triumph Spitfire with a seized engine. I spent the summer rebuilding/restoring it and drove it for several years until I just couldn't deal with the Lucas electronics any more.

Shabba

Passed Driver's Ed
The FJR is widely considered to be one of the best sport tourers ever made. As far as a 600 leaving it in a lurch in the curves, that's up to the rider. Equal riders would see the 600 lead by a bit, but not as much as you might think. We go to the mountains here pretty often and the boxer twin, low horsepower BMW's consistently smoke many of the guys on sportbikes once we hit the twisty bits. It's 90 percent rider.

LOL at sport bike riders being organ donors. Quite the generalization but unfortunately, one that has been earned. It's crazy that with money, an inexperienced squid can buy and hop on a new R1 or S1000RR.

I love cars and am on a car forum, but bikes have my heart and soul. Always have.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
My FJR is a fabulous bike; there's a good reason why I've kept it for a dozen years now. In many ways it reminds me of a two wheeled equivalent of my Golf R, as not only is it quick and handles well, it does so many things really well. I'll probably keep it through this year, but I'm seriously considering getting the next gen KTM Super Duke GT some time after it comes out this summer or fall. Even a fabulous machine starts to get old compared to the newer offerings.

Shabba

Passed Driver's Ed
My FJR is a fabulous bike; there's a good reason why I've kept it for a dozen years now. In many ways it reminds me of a two wheeled equivalent of my Golf R, as not only is it quick and handles well, it does so many things really well. I'll probably keep it through this year, but I'm seriously considering getting the next gen KTM Super Duke GT some time after it comes out this summer or fall. Even a fabulous machine starts to get old compared to the newer offerings.

KTM has made a bad mamba-jamba with the new Duke. And that GT version is sweet. I'd murder to have one for a cross country jaunt. Imagine riding across the country on one wheel. Because that's what that torque monster would do. :D

elwood1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2024 GTI SE DSG
LOL, I got my first car in 1973: a rusted out Triumph Spitfire with a seized engine. I spent the summer rebuilding/restoring it and drove it for several years until I just couldn't deal with the Lucas electronics any more.

FYI, the more you drive them, the more reliable they are, except for the Lucas alternators. When I road trip in the 6, I always carry a spare. When the next one dies, I'm switching to a Bosch.

:)

KTM

Oh man, I spent a lot of time on a KTM 990 Super Enduro. KTM twins are the absolute best sounding motors in all of motordom. Bar none.

Good luck keeping that thing at sane speeds. The sound alone will put you behind bars. A Super Duke is the one bike that would get me back out on the road. That or a TW200. I'd have one, but I live in Baltimore and anything that looks like a dirt bike is stolen immediately.

Attachments

• 990 Enduro.jpg
    990 Enduro.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 129