GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BFI - Motor Mounts for your MK7 Golf/GTI

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Just installed the stage 2 motor mount and stage 1 trans mount. So have only put 30 or so miles on them so far and won't lie, the engine noise is reallyyy loud. Don't mind the slight pedal vibrations but I suspect the excessive noise is from the motor mount. It's so loud that I can no longer hear my awe track exhaust when I'm on it lol its not that noticeable when idling just when getting on the throttle.

Anyone else experience this level of engine noise? I checked moving parts (serpentine belt, radiator fan) but no issue there, has to be the engine mount imo. Also, I torqued screws near the body to 34ft lb and the ones on the engine (or trans) to 44 ft lb but have seen other numbers thrown around. Could the torque specs be off? I got mine straight from BFIs install pdf.

For the good, even from the short time I've driven with them on, I noticed the shifts are more precise and drivetrain slop has been greatly reduced. That engine noise though...I hope its a matter of them just needing time to break in versus a permanent noise increase or some fault in the install (but like what?). It's honestly really loud as I would like to actually hear my exhaust.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
My cabin noise has permanently increased from the BFI stage 2 transmission mount and Revo motor mount (og rubber version, softer than BFI poly). The vibes basically faded away to nothing after 200 miles, but the noise increase remains.

I bought new stretch bolts and torqued them based on the ECS install instructions.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
This is a video of my exhaust, but one of the clips shows how the mounts/in cabin noise should sound with all 3 BFI stage 2 mounts.

https://youtu.be/at4wLClyifA

Thanks. Seems like you hear more exhaust than engine bay noise. For me, it sounds like most of the noise when getting on the throttle is coming from the engine mount. Hard to describe, kind of like a humming that gets louder with throttle. It's definitely noticeable, would not pass the gf/wife test as many claim.

My cabin noise has permanently increased from the BFI stage 2 transmission mount and Revo motor mount (og rubber version, softer than BFI poly). The vibes basically faded away to nothing after 200 miles, but the noise increase remains.

I bought new stretch bolts and torqued them based on the ECS install instructions.

Hmm, BFI has different torque specs. I bought new OEM bolts for the trans mount and torqued them to BFIs specs but used their included engine mount bolts, which were actually a different size than OEM (I think 19mm engine side, forget body side).

I may try torquing the engine mount to these specs and give it 500 or so miles to break in before coming to a conclusion. It just surprised me how loud and harsh the actual noise is, sounds like the mount is literally humming (maybe rattling) as the rpms go up when driving.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks. Seems like you hear more exhaust than engine bay noise. For me, it sounds like most of the noise when getting on the throttle is coming from the engine mount. Hard to describe, kind of like a humming that gets louder with throttle. It's definitely noticeable, would not pass the gf/wife test as many claim.

Hmm, BFI has different torque specs. I bought new OEM bolts for the trans mount and torqued them to BFIs specs but used their included engine mount bolts, which were actually a different size than OEM (I think 19mm engine side, forget body side).

I may try torquing the engine mount to these specs and give it 500 or so miles to break in before coming to a conclusion. It just surprised me how loud and harsh the actual noise is, sounds like the mount is literally humming (maybe rattling) as the rpms go up when driving.

That sounds different than mine. I literally just hear the motor more, there is no humming or rattling. I'd torque it down then beat on it some to soften it up and settle it in a bit.

Edit: you didn't complain about idle vibes, but using VCDS/OBD11 to increase the idle RPM by 50 vanished those for me.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
That sounds different than mine. I literally just hear the motor more, there is no humming or rattling. I'd torque it down then beat on it some to soften it up and settle it in a bit.

Edit: you didn't complain about idle vibes, but using VCDS/OBD11 to increase the idle RPM by 50 vanished those for me.

Torqued down the motor mount to ECS's specs, no difference, still really harsh. I'll give it 500 miles. If it doesn't calm down, I'll replace with the OEM one and see if the mount was indeed the issue. What are the chances the actual mount is defective?

I just hope its not the trans mount, its a bit of a pain to get to. I'm almost positive its the engine mount though as the sound/vibrations seem to be coming specifically from that area in the engine bay when I'm driving.

Its not just a normal slight increase in nvh, no way most people live with it like this as a daily. It honestly sounds similar to having a hole in your muffler lol the vibrations in the pedals/steering wheel are barely noticeable, have no issues there. In fact, I wouldn't even mind vibrations at idle but that noise when you get on it is unbearable.

Another thing I thought was maybe the bolts they sent me are wrong? The engine side ones are 18mm like the OEM ones but the new ones towards the body changed to 15mm (at least thats what I used to torque them down). I'll shoot BFI an email as well and see what they say.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Torqued down the motor mount to ECS's specs, no difference, still really harsh. I'll give it 500 miles. If it doesn't calm down, I'll replace with the OEM one and see if the mount was indeed the issue. What are the chances the actual mount is defective?

I just hope its not the trans mount, its a bit of a pain to get to. I'm almost positive its the engine mount though as the sound/vibrations seem to be coming specifically from that area in the engine bay when I'm driving.

Its not just a normal slight increase in nvh, no way most people live with it like this as a daily. It honestly sounds similar to having a hole in your muffler lol the vibrations in the pedals/steering wheel are barely noticeable, have no issues there. In fact, I wouldn't even mind vibrations at idle but that noise when you get on it is unbearable.

Another thing I thought was maybe the bolts they sent me are wrong? The engine side ones are 18mm like the OEM ones but the new ones towards the body changed to 15mm (at least thats what I used to torque them down). I'll shoot BFI an email as well and see what they say.

Chances that the mount is defective are pretty low IMO. If you do switch back to the OE engine mount, don't torque to yield the OE bolts again, order new ones for whatever you end up leaving in permanently. Have you done any wot runs from a dig to break the mounts in? The engine mount is 100% poly and will by design transfer more shit to the cabin, though what you describe seems abnormally bad. I agree with giving it the 500 miles and seeing it if smooths out before doing anything else.

It's probably not the trans mount. I just did the insert, stage 2 BFI, into my existing trans mount. There is a large piece of OE rubber on top of the insert or BFI pre-assembled trans mount that should do a good job of absorbing noise and harshness there. Yellow is OE rubber and red is BFI modification/insert poly that stiffens the mount.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Chances that the mount is defective are pretty low IMO. If you do switch back to the OE engine mount, don't torque to yield the OE bolts again, order new ones for whatever you end up leaving in permanently. Have you done any wot runs from a dig to break the mounts in? The engine mount is 100% poly and will by design transfer more shit to the cabin, though what you describe seems abnormally bad. I agree with giving it the 500 miles and seeing it if smooths out before doing anything else.

It's probably not the trans mount. I just did the insert, stage 2 BFI, into my existing trans mount. There is a large piece of OE rubber on top of the insert or BFI pre-assembled trans mount that should do a good job of absorbing noise and harshness there. Yellow is OE rubber and red is BFI modification/insert poly that stiffens the mount.

Thanks for the reply. Ya I bought the stage 1 trans mount which was pre-assembled, looks exactly like the one you posted. GTIjake informed me that I could have just bought the insert too but at the time BFI claimed that you couldn't replace the insert on the newer mk7 mounts....which = BS :mad:

I held on to the OEM bolts just in case I encountered a problem like this and needed to throw the OEM one back on just to see if the mount is the issue. No way I would reuse those long term. Not sure if the BFI ones are one time use though.

I'm not crazy, no way most people with the stage 2 mount could live with this level of noise lol its really loud. I emailed BFI and just hope they don't give me a generic answer like "we had a disclaimer that it would be loud". 500 miles is my limit before it comes off...

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks for the reply. Ya I bought the stage 1 trans mount which was pre-assembled, looks exactly like the one you posted. GTIjake informed me that I could have just bought the insert too but at the time BFI claimed that you couldn't replace the insert on the newer mk7 mounts....which = BS :mad:

I held on to the OEM bolts just in case I encountered a problem like this and needed to throw the OEM one back on just to see if the mount is the issue. No way I would reuse those long term. Not sure if the BFI ones are one time use though.

I'm not crazy, no way most people with the stage 2 mount could live with this level of noise lol its really loud. 500 miles is my limit before it comes off...

Once you torque to yield they are one time use heh. And BFI is sort of right, the 2015 trans mounts could be taken apart/unsandwiched, while the 2016+ transmission mounts are riveted together. Nothing that's going to prevent someone with a hand drill and some patience from disassembling though.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Once you torque to yield they are one time use heh. And BFI is sort of right, the 2015 trans mounts could be taken apart/unsandwiched, while the 2016+ transmission mounts are riveted together. Nothing that's going to prevent someone with a hand drill and some patience from disassembling though.

That’s still not a good answer because mk6 mounts where spot welded and they sold inserts for them. Which I also installed their insert in way back in 2011

Instructions tell you to drill the spot welds, they just say “won’t fit” and I emailed them December 2016 with pictures showing them you could. At that point they said thanks we’ll update the site so two years later it’s kinda hard to play the “we weren’t sure” bit

I like BFI, I’ve probably talked people into buying 5k worth of their products...but this is less than good honest customer support

bobyjane1234

Passed Driver's Ed
no 90 degree turn for any bolts when torquing ? (motor/tranny)

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs

I'm not crazy, no way most people with the stage 2 mount could live with this level of noise lol its really loud. I emailed BFI and just hope they don't give me a generic answer like "we had a disclaimer that it would be loud". 500 miles is my limit before it comes off...

Actually, it's not totally BS. It depends on which mount you have. My GTI and Alltrack, I could replace it. But, on the Golf R mount I bought to mod first then install, I could not. Certain variations have it spot welded, and some have it fully welded.

Now, I have stage 1 on my car, and am loving them. I hope, they break in for you and you will be happy with the purchase.

bobyjane1234

Passed Driver's Ed
Got mine installed(Engine+trans)for about 200 miles. Barely any vibrations. Honestly had more vibrations with the HPA Dogbone + torque arm only. Vibrations seems a bit subdue with new mounts installed.

Above 4k RPM engine has more of a growl. Sounds good. On cold stats you will hear more whats going on under hood but goes away once mounts warm up.

Anyone questioning themselves about the mounts, they are great but go with Stage 2 for both engine + transmission. Stage 1 is good but i regret not getting Stage 2.

Overall, less slouch more responsive, feels great.

Last edited:

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Got mine installed(Engine+trans)for about 200 miles. Barely any vibrations. Honestly had more vibrations with the HPA Dogbone + torque arm only. Vibrations seems a bit subdue with new mounts installed.

Above 4k RPM engine has more of a growl. Sounds good. On cold stats you will hear more whats going on under hood but goes away once mounts warm up.

Anyone questioning themselves about the mounts, they are great but go with Stage 2 for both engine + transmission. Stage 1 is good but i regret not getting Stage 2.

Overall, less slouch more responsive, feels great.

I know many have the stage 2 mounts and are happy with them but my stage 2 engine mount was unbearable. I triple checked to make sure it was torqued to spec, gave it 500 miles, and just couldn't deal with it anymore. Contacted BFI and they said I would need to ship it to them to determine if its defective.

I opted to just pick up the stage 1 inserts (BFI did give me a little break on these). Plan to swap out the stiffer ones and reinstall these. Unless my mount was defective, I can't see how anyone could deal with that noise on a daily.

It was fuckin LOUD with any throttle input, not a good loud either. My bro who has a wrx with a loud ass droney exhaust admitted even he wouldn't be able to live with it lol

Status
Not open for further replies.