GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

bi-xenon bulbs upgrade

Matthewpt

Ready to race!
has anyone changed the original bi-xenon lamps, i think there 4300k?
whats people changed them to if they have and are they worth the cost.

Stock ones are 4500k D3S bulbs, deautokey is selling 5500k D3S bulbs which they say matches the GTI fogs. I have them with me but not installed yet. Will update you ones I installed it maybe today.

mattyh3

thanks for the reply, i know there suppose to be a bit of a pain to change like but found a good guide doing it through the wheel arch unless there is a much easier way.

Matthewpt

Ready to race!
thanks for the reply, i know there suppose to be a bit of a pain to change like but found a good guide doing it through the wheel arch unless there is a much easier way.

Have a link for the install? I've pulled off the bumper before for the splitter install so I got no problem on that. But if there's an easy way then why not.

stillwellm10

Ready to race!
Stock ones are 4500k D3S bulbs, deautokey is selling 5500k D3S bulbs which they say matches the GTI fogs. I have them with me but not installed yet. Will update you ones I installed it maybe today.

Let me know what you think of them as well! I'm looking to upgrade at some point.

vrod

Ready to race!
What they are selling is cheap chinese stuff. If you want the real deal, get either Philips WhiteVisioon Gen2, Osram CBI ot Morimoto bulbs from theretrofitsource.com

With that said, it really does not make much sense to change the bulbs for performance since the projectors are shitty anyways.

Matthewpt

Ready to race!
Let me know what you think of them as well! I'm looking to upgrade at some point.

So I ended up pulling the corner of the bumper out a bit to take the headlights out. Not hard to do since I already pulled the bumper off before to install splitter. After install, drove a bit in the dark and I would say it looks better than stock, whiter too and matches the fogs much better. Needed to do obd11 basic settings to realign them and everything was good. Not a lot brighter but there is a difference, it’s brighter than stock.

mattyh3

So I ended up pulling the corner of the bumper out a bit to take the headlights out. Not hard to do since I already pulled the bumper off before to install splitter. After install, drove a bit in the dark and I would say it looks better than stock, whiter too and matches the fogs much better. Needed to do obd11 basic settings to realign them and everything was good. Not a lot brighter but there is a difference, it’s brighter than stock.

what's the obd11 basic settings?

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Anyone know if there are varying Osram CBI models? Most of the pics I am seeing of the product packaging says “up to 6000k”. I don’t want above 5500k though.

And I have seen some seemingly older packing say “up to 5000/5500k”. For example, what is pictured on theretrofitsource.com. Is this just old packaging?

I have sent emails to hidconcept and theretrofitsource. Thought I would ask here as well.

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor

Thank you for the support and update.

Thanks for your interest, we feel you will love these, we only have positive feedback with our D3S xenon bulbs.

Our D3S are one of our #1 sellers, there was a few people who tried to lie about the quality without owning the product but true honest feedback allows you to see through lies:
http://deautokey.com/product/new-d1...te-no-errors-fits-many-volkswagen-audi-models

Differences:
-Ours a true white right out the box, NO break-in times
-bright - so you do not lose visibility with the 5500k color temp

This is side by side OEM VS our D3S - light distribution and visibility is the same but ours will be a clean white vs yellow:

Our D3S next to OEM fogs:

And honestly, it is up to you, we are only sharing our product, at the end you can purchase anything you'd like.

CC model that also uses the d3s - it is also tested next to the CBI.

Ok so I saw that DeAutokey had new bulbs and I immediately wanted them. Don't get me wrong the oem cc adaptive headlights are great. I just wanted them to be a bit whiter (more like the new led headlights color on other cars acura,mb,bmw,mazda, etc.)

I opted for the 5500k and am very happy with the outcome. I just put them in 5 min ago so I haven't seen them at night but from looking at oem and this it looks great.

Here is a picture of the DeAutokey 5500k on the left and oem color on the right. The color matches the drl led better too. The garage wall is gray so the color may be off but it looks pure white with a hint of blue.

Found this YouTube video (not mine do at your own risk/will) props to the guy who made it.

https://youtu.be/rst7XCk6Ids

So I went around looking through forums and such and many recommend the Sylvania osram bulbs if you were replacing oem bulbs. So I got them to compare to the deautokey ones.

My garage wall is gray and camera doesn't truly get the color but you can tell the difference.

This is at startup car is off.

Here is after 2min and the car is on bulbs now fully warmed up

You can see the osram on the left is more yellow than the deautokey on the right. As far as brightness goes they are equal if not deautokey is a tad brighter. This is their 5500k color. In person the color is pure white with a hint of blue. Way better than oem imo

Don't mind the dirty headlight

So overall I'm very happy with the deautokey set that I bought. And it costs less than the Sylvania osram. Another reason I like them is every other bulb so far has been great and deautokey is an active member on here and backs their product.

Hope this helps

5500k looking great!

Matthewpt

Ready to race!
what's the obd11 basic settings?

You do that to re-align the LP headlights after dropping the car, or in this case replacing the xenon bulbs (not sure if you need to, but for some reason mine became lower and it fixed it).

Thank you for the support and update.

Thanks for your interest, we feel you will love these, we only have positive feedback with our D3S xenon bulbs.

Our D3S are one of our #1 sellers, there was a few people who tried to lie about the quality without owning the product but true honest feedback allows you to see through lies:
http://deautokey.com/product/new-d1...te-no-errors-fits-many-volkswagen-audi-models

Differences:
-Ours a true white right out the box, NO break-in times
-bright - so you do not lose visibility with the 5500k color temp

This is side by side OEM VS our D3S - light distribution and visibility is the same but ours will be a clean white vs yellow:

Our D3S next to OEM fogs:

And honestly, it is up to you, we are only sharing our product, at the end you can purchase anything you'd like.

CC model that also uses the d3s - it is also tested next to the CBI.

No problem. Always liked your products and customer service.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Anyone know if there are varying Osram CBI models? Most of the pics I am seeing of the product packaging says “up to 6000k”. I don’t want above 5500k though.

And I have seen some seemingly older packing say “up to 5000/5500k”. For example, what is pictured on theretrofitsource.com. Is this just old packaging?

I have sent emails to hidconcept and theretrofitsource. Thought I would ask here as well.

Both hidconcept and theretrofitsource got back to me with similar responses.

The Osram CBI bulbs themselves have not changed at all despite the different packaging / marketing. The color will be a crisp white color right around 5500K in hue once fully broken in.