GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 Autobahn--windshield fun

adam1991

Banned
A rock thrown on the freeway dinged my windshield, and it cracked. Oh well. It's been a bad winter, and shit happens.

I called the dealer--"we don't do windshields, take it to Safelite or similar". OK, fine. I was worried about the rain sensor behind the rear view mirror, but OK.

Safelite looks it all up and says, "$419 installed for a new one." Fine. Do it.

The tech has it for a half an hour or so, then invites me back to see what he's found. In doing his due diligence with the rear view mirror mounting covers, he discovered that the windshield Safelite has for this model doesn't really work. The covers don't fit right.

The ONLY way to get the proper windshield for this car is through...the dealer. Really? The same dealer that told me to pound sand, they don't even manage these repairs, go away, get Safelite to do it? Great.

So Safelite is ordering the factory glass. It'll be here next week. Oh--and the glass alone is just north of $500. Then there's labor.

Anyway, heads up. Absent the rain sensing camera (and the DAP stuff, if it had it), this would have been cheaper and easier with the Safelite glass.

(Now that it's $500 plus labor, that puts me into insurance territory. I will first check with my agent to see if such a claim on the comprehensive policy will hurt me. But even if they pay, it'll only be the balance after my $500 deductible.)

adam1991

Banned
At $500, that won’t be VW glass.

OK, the part number for the windshield itself is 5GM845011AANVB and MSRP is $574. This is per parts.vw.com.

He might have told me $574. I knew the part was north of $500, but not $600. I also knew that with labor, it would be around $750.

ccbird

Ready to race!
Just replaced mine last week at dealership also after snowstorm and crap coming up from road for $440 out the door. They did take 3 days due to the first round of glass having a flaw which they at least found before installing.

Sounds like you need to either push on the dealer or find a different one.

adam1991

Banned
Yeah, I am absolutely going to talk with the dealer on this. They've been good otherwise. This may simply be, as the dealership GM and I have discussed on other matters, an "opportunity for improvement".

The $440 is in line with my original quote. But when the tech showed me why he wasn't happy putting in the piece Safelite's computers thought it should be, I agreed with his assessment completely.

Did yours have rain sensor and/or DAP cameras up there?

Martin398

Ready to race!
just curious, why is windshield replacement not covered under your insurance? I've had windshields replaced before and have never paid a dime. I've had VW windshields replaced for nothing....

adam1991

Banned
Some insurance companies cover windshields 100% as part of their standard kit, or else have special very cheap add-ons for that.

My insurance company doesn't have anything special set up for windshields. They're covered under the standard comprehensive policy, if you have it.

I do, with a $500 deductible. I will let insurance pick up the balance above $500 if it doesn't hurt me in the long run.

adam1991

Banned
thanks. I will check.

Maybe your dealership has access to quality aftermarket glass, that Safelite isn't using. At any rate, I do think it's bogus that the dealership didn't even want to talk to me about it.