GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official MK7 Muffler Delete FAQ/Review Thread

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
is there anyway to put the muffler back on after a delete ? I'm asking because the car still has a warranty and i don't want to lose it .

Good read, explains why you have nothing to worry about there

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7492

But I personally build muffler deletes to be bolt on and fully reverseable like a CSS muffler. Our cars have six dimples stamped in the section of the exhaust before the muffler to mark where you cut to replace the muffler (Volkswagen sells an axle back center exit exhaust as an accessory). You just clamp on the muffler delete and if you wanna go back to stock use the same clamp to slap it back on

NickC

Ready to race!
Good read, explains why you have nothing to worry about there

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7492

But I personally build muffler deletes to be bolt on and fully reverseable like a CSS muffler. Our cars have six dimples stamped in the section of the exhaust before the muffler to mark where you cut to replace the muffler (Volkswagen sells an axle back center exit exhaust as an accessory). You just clamp on the muffler delete and if you wanna go back to stock use the same clamp to slap it back on

Maybe I have just missed it completely, but what do you charge for your Muffler delete?

kDizz781

Ready to race!
I charge $450 for 3" mandrel bent 304L stainless, complete clamp to tips. So it just depends on materials used.

For typical muffler shop 2.5" mild steel/booger welds/non mandrel bends $100 and up is typical. So that's the high and low ends of you get what you pay for

GTI Jake, would you consider making and selling these to forum members? I know I would buy one from you and I am sure others would too. You might want to consider gauging interest.

You are making everything I would be looking for
  • 304 Stainless
  • Mandrel bent
  • reducer so it is reversible
  • Basically plug and play

Only thing I would consider changing is tip style to a 4 inch tip, and maybe a "Y" split possible.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
GTI Jake, would you consider making and selling these to forum members? I know I would buy one from you and I am sure others would too. You might want to consider gauging interest.

You are making everything I would be looking for
  • 304 Stainless
  • Mandrel bent
  • reducer so it is reversible
  • Basically plug and play

Only thing I would consider changing is tip style to a 4 inch tip, and maybe a "Y" split possible.

I will hopefully have time to build some more this winter but can't offer them for sale like say APR would. It'll have to be hush hush "hey I know a guy" and PM me for an order because I'm not a "Site Sponsor". I had a thread just as you described and a moderator deleted it and sent me a PM calling it "Spam & unauthorized advertising" even tho I'm just a regular guy on the forum not a company. Their site, their rules.

But anyway I won't be doing a Y Pipe for three reasons: It makes zero performance difference. There's no money in it. And nobody's ever gonna see it.

All currently offered dual exhaust systems on the market today a 2.5" Y pipe for a total of 5" coming out from the split. The deletes I build are 3", so 6" total after the split...with cars running 10 second 1/4 miles with the stock 2.5" tee it's very clear that there's no real bottle neck there. I don't have a band saw to make the very extreme angle of cut that it takes to hand fabricate a Y pipe from two 45* or 90* bends, and all of the retail available Y pipes are 2.5" 409 stainless (which rusts) and/or outrageously overpriced. I personally think the 3" tubing looks much better than 2.5" so they'll all be done that way. I just can't justify an extra hour of my time (at $40 an hour) or the extra money in the finished product going from T to Y.

As far as 4" tips, I personally think that's way too big. 8" of tips on a 2.0L :eek: but if anyone wants them I'll have an option for no tips and you can source your own. To build these efficiently they have to fit a weld fixture or "jig". The jig is being built around a 3.5" set of tips and 3" tubing so those will be my only completed options

Germarican

I will hopefully have time to build some more this winter but can't offer them for sale like say APR would. It'll have to be hush hush "hey I know a guy" and PM me for an order because I'm not a "Site Sponsor". I had a thread just as you described and a moderator deleted it and sent me a PM calling it "Spam & unauthorized advertising" even tho I'm just a regular guy on the forum not a company. Their site, their rules.

But anyway I won't be doing a Y Pipe for three reasons: It makes zero performance difference. There's no money in it. And nobody's ever gonna see it.

All currently offered dual exhaust systems on the market today a 2.5" Y pipe for a total of 5" coming out from the split. The deletes I build are 3", so 6" total after the split...with cars running 10 second 1/4 miles with the stock 2.5" tee it's very clear that there's no real bottle neck there. I don't have a band saw to make the very extreme angle of cut that it takes to hand fabricate a Y pipe from two 45* or 90* bends, and all of the retail available Y pipes are 2.5" 409 stainless (which rusts) and/or outrageously overpriced. I personally think the 3" tubing looks much better than 2.5" so they'll all be done that way. I just can't justify an extra hour of my time (at $40 an hour) or the extra money in the finished product going from T to Y.

As far as 4" tips, I personally think that's way too big. 8" of tips on a 2.0L :eek: but if anyone wants them I'll have an option for no tips and you can source your own. To build these efficiently they have to fit a weld fixture or "jig". The jig is being built around a 3.5" set of tips and 3" tubing so those will be my only completed options
Are you still making these?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

kDizz781

Ready to race!
Would anyone be interested in trying to find a vendor that would make muffler deletes for our cars?

Such a popular mod, yet no one takes advantage of it. I'm very surprise ECS or CTS doesn't make it yet.

Just a thought

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Would anyone be interested in trying to find a vendor that would make muffler deletes for our cars?

Such a popular mod, yet no one takes advantage of it. I'm very surprise ECS or CTS doesn't make it yet.

Just a thought

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

There’s three things holding me back at this point.

1. For what they cost me to build, the price is $450 plus shipping. I can’t lose money on them so it is what is is, but that’s usually where the interest goes stale.

2. The red car in the pictures was my guide so to speak. I built that set up for “free” with the understanding I’d get the exhaust back for a week or so to build a weld fixture around it to be able to build them off the car accurately.

Well long story short the owner of the car impulse bought something else and traded the car in with the exhaust.

3. This forum won’t let me advertise here. I got in trouble for posting an ad because I’m not a vendor, but they also won’t reply to my inquiries about becoming one. So without locking in a list of pre sale buyers I can’t invest the time and money to build a weld fixture on my own dime with issue #1, everyone wants it for nothing still threatening me ever recouping that. I have a wife and two young kids, so obviously I can’t be in the red to build mk7 parts. I hope you understand, but outside of locals who can have exhausts built on their personal car this is stalled at the moment.

Last edited:

kDizz781

Ready to race!
There’s three things holding me back at this point.

1. For what they cost me to build, the price is $450 plus shipping. I can’t lose money on them so it is what is is, but that’s usually where the interest goes stale.

2. The red car in the pictures was my guide so to speak. I built that set up for “free” with the understanding I’d get the exhaust back for a week or so to build a weld fixture around it to be able to build them off the car accurately.

Well long story short the owner of the car impulse bought something else and traded the car in with the exhaust.

3. This forum won’t let me advertise here. I got in trouble for posting an ad because I’m not a vendor, but they also won’t reply to my inquiries about becoming one. So without locking in a list of pre sale buyers I can’t invest the time and money to build a weld fixture on my own dime with issue #1, everyone wants it for nothing still threatening me ever recouping that. I have a wife and two young kids, so obviously I can’t be in the red to build mk7 parts. I hope you understand, but outside of locals who can have exhausts built on their personal car this is stalled at the moment.

1st, GTI Jake, you're the man. Your exhaust posts are very informative.

2nd, when the time is right. I'd consider buying one from you.

3rd, until then... someone make this for our cars that is as simple as cut and clamp.

Attachments

• Muffler Delete.jpg
    Muffler Delete.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 467

Revolution091

How does one remove the heat shield above where the rear suitcase muffler sits? Does the catback need to be off the car to get at it?
I've got some drone around 2k with a muffler delete, stock downpipe and stock resonator... Considering the Vibrant 17930 resonator Gti jake recommends in another thread but maybe I'll try this first.

Last edited: